Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is boxymo telemetrics operating like a virus?

Options
  • 14-11-2017 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

My son's had two cars with boxymo' telemetrics and when when they were deactivated the cars drain down the batteries? They want to charge Euro183 to come and remove it. I scrapped the first car and now it's happening to the second one. This has made me think.Has anyone had this problem and should I report it? If it's true it must be illegal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,022 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Any always-on electrical device fitted to a car will eventually drain the battery - the deactivation would just have turned off the data collection. Car kits do it, etc.

Its more noticeable on older batteries and in more noticeable in winter.

You should be able to get a mechanic or auto electrician to disconnect the supply to them in minutes. Actually any car radio/car kit/alarm fitter will find it and disconnect it too; for significantly less than €183.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭pat1187

L1011 wrote: »
    Any always-on electrical device fitted to a car will eventually drain the battery - the deactivation would just have turned off the data collection. Car kits do it, etc.

Its more noticeable on older batteries and in more noticeable in winter.

You should be able to get a mechanic or auto electrician to disconnect the supply to them in minutes. Actually any car radio/car kit/alarm fitter will find it and disconnect it too; for significantly less than €183.

Thanks. They,Boxymo no longer have any rights to the car and it's on its second owner since my son, He is living overseas, I gave them the new owners name and address, a registered charity,information that is readily available to an insurance company and all I wanted to know was where they put the box.Thanks again. I think I'll change mechanics.

Advertisement