Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

COYBIG

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

obi604 wrote: »
    Random question. The RTÉ pundit : Didi Hamann. Any idea how he ended up on the RTÉ panel. Has he any links with Ireland etc ?
    He was a great and intelligent player.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

jones 19 wrote: »
    Why does it say European qualifiers when the Rte coverage goes to an ad break?

Because some marketing idea though it would be a good idea to brand the World Cup European qualifiers as the European Qualifiers confusing it with the Euros. And use virtually the same graphics and branding as the Euros.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Gonna kick off here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Ipso wrote: »
    I remember when Staunton was manager, everyone couldn't wait to get rid of him. Hasn't exactly been the Golden Years since then.

Yes I remember but was it nasty and was Staunton called arrogant like Martin O Neil was tonight repeatedly tonight on the post match analysis ?

doylefe wrote: »
    Gonna kick off here

Where TV ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

The Russia world cup I think will be great, nice cool climate, so no heat to tire players, the world cup is always exciting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭CFlat

There's no love lost between MON and Tony.

Jaysus...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Why does o neill hate tony so much...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

Martin O'Neill was having none of that reporter's shìt lmaooooo

• Advertisement

Specialun wrote: »

I'd say it's a two way street on that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

doylefe wrote: »
    Actually a big positive is we won't have constant news stories about how great the Irish fans are at major tournaments next summer.

That is a huge plus.

Looking forward to the World Cup. Not sure who I'll be supporting. I tend to learn that as I'm watching games. Well, Iceland for one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Martin O Neil is getting blasted on the radio.
    Which show is this

Which show is this

It was on RTE Radio 1. I'm assuming it will be available to listen back to at some point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Time for an all Ireland football team?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

It started (or at least became evident) when we were losing those games in the group stages. Tony asked questions along the lines of "Will you step down if we don't reach Russia?" etc. MON was not pleased.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Martin O'Neill was having none of that reporter's shìt lmaooooo

See eamonn dunphy back tracking like fcuk straight after the interview

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

Was that match the sequel to The Accused?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

Saw some of the press conference with Martin O'Neill and David Meyler on the news yesterday.

Journos asking Meyler about a potential penalty shoot-out. Is the team prepared for a shoot out?
    Yes. (journos sense the humour at him being blunt)

Have you taken some yourself? Yes. (more laughter)

Did you score? Yes.

Then Martin O'Neill chimes in with a rejoinder of "but he missed one as well...ha ha ha ha....". Meyler is like wtf man? So belittling his captain the day before a huge game. A tool basically. Seems prescient now.

valoren wrote: »
    Saw some of the press conference with Martin O'Neill and David Meyler on the news yesterday.

Journos asking Meyler about a potential penalty shoot-out. Is the team prepared for a shoot out?
    Yes. (journos sense the humour at him being blunt)

Have you taken some yourself? Yes. (more laughter)

Did you score? Yes.

Then Martin O'Neill chimes in with a rejoinder of "but he missed one as well...ha ha ha ha....". Meyler is like wtf man? So belittling his captain the day before a huge game. A tool basically. Seems prescient now.

The lads on the radio were saying Martin O Neil has an arrogance to him and it involves the players. That's a strange comment to make though.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Martin o neill is a legend, we wouldn't be anywhere near qualification without him. He has little to work with and if we went two up we probably would have won. Best team won good luck to Denmark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭obi604

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    The lads on the radio were saying Martin O Neil has an arrogance to him and it involves the players. That's a strange comment to make though.

Martin o neill seems like a grumpy prick.
    And stupid looking big angry eyes looking out through his glasses.

And just seems the teams he picks are silly but of course he won’t admit anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27 Carra 8

Would love to see an Ireland team without excuses , abit of balls to get on the ball and not just chase down and tackle. One were the goalkeeper centre halfs are composed get on the ball , the fullbacks dont force the ball and make the right decisions, we have three willing and technical centre midfielders who are tactically educated. Its not alot to ask there has to be a will there to play the right way , a manager like Martin who was exactly what I described in his day , I find it odd we refuse to , Im delighted we arent going , thats not football , not the game I love

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

Just back from the match. The atmosphere was incredible from the national anthem to about ten minutes in to the game. Once the Danes equalized it went flat. I predict that Ireland won't reach a tournament for a very, very long time. We simply don't have the players, and there is nothing coming from the youth setup.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

And the north...they're fùcking shít. ...nanana na na

James mclean :D

not so smug now :P

nanana na na

Martin o neill is a legend, we wouldn't be anywhere near qualification without him. He has little to work with and if we went two up we probably would have won. Best team won good luck to Denmark

Complete rubbish..how does he have little to work with. Plus if my aunt had balls she would be my uncle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

We need to stop the push for Qatar in 22 and completely restart the entire team from head to toe.
    For 30mins we were on the world cup train and then **** up after **** up after **** up.
    Mcclean is a fantastic player and has a get up and go that the rest dont seem to have.
    I'd keep the manager, he hasn't got a pool of players of Spanish quality at hand and he did well.
    Poor sub choices in this game though but if we never knackered the Georgia game we would never had have been in this situation.
    Scope For new players now and go all over the planet to find them.
    Start in Brazil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Russia is going to be a miserable, yawn fest of a World Cup without us.

Except for on the pitch, where it'll be an altogether better tournament for our absence. Sorry to say so, but it's incontrovertible.

Were I a Spanish, German or Chilean fan watching the World Cup on TV, I wouldn't be long reaching for the remote if I had to endure Ireland hoofing it up in the air time and again. It's unwatchable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Whopper session in Copenhagen tonight.

That's a load of crap. There are lots of other peaceful, fun-loving football fans out there. The multitude of videos from the Euros on social media show that. The videos were primarily about the Irish fans but showed that lots of other countries are up for the craic too. You've named a handful of countries and even with them, the troublemakers are in the minority.

Icelandic fans, for example, seem pretty great.

I've enjoyed the last three World Cups just fine without Ireland being there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

The arrogance though of the Danish manager annoys me.
    Nom sportsman like and gives me the impression of a na na na na na type of person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27 Carra 8

Complete rubbish..how does he have little to work with. Plus if my aunt had balls she would be my uncle

You can have all the heart and effort in the world but if you dont back yourself to play with your ability and skill or the manager doesnt back you in the case of wes ,O'Dowd etc , you can forgot about it , we should have been found out along long time ago. I remeber Georgia knocking the ball around us , it can be done but you got to believe it , the balls made round to go round , if you have it the other team cant score

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Were I a Spanish, German or Chilean fan watching the World Cup on TV, I wouldn't be long reaching for the remote if I had to endure Ireland hoofing it up in the air time and again. It's unwatchable.

I do wonder who actually watches Ireland's games. :D

We have plenty players in above average teams...plenty of PL players. Its international football. No point comparing us to spain all the time. O neill insists on pelting the ball up. The style of play and the lack of confidence comes from him. I used to like the guy but his a dinosaur

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Jesus that hurt. I thought we lost the head a bit after the first and second goal, lads audibly shouting at each other, including some of the squad leaders like Brady, McClean and Clarke. We missed Colemans leadership. We've rode our luck a lot over the last 3 and a half years and probably had a result like that coming.

Looking forward, we need to realize that English clubs are not going to produce our players for us anymore. Even with the current squad, over half them are either foreign or came through the LOI. Look at Denmark, the entirety of their squad, bar Schmichel, Erikson, Bedntner and Christensen (who all beside Schmichel still started their youth careers for Danish clubs) had multiple seasons behind them getting developed in the Danish league before moving abroad.

There needs to be a shift in mentality towards the League of Ireland. Having a national joke of a domestic league among the worst in Europe just won't cut it for the national team anymore. Hundreds of 12-15 year olds crossing the channel as a talent development strategy is a dated mentality. The Premier league and even the championship are global leagues now. Interesting times for the FAI as the "cash cow" national team will become more and more dependent on the "problem child" domestic league to feed it players.

The problem with irish football is at grass roots

* coaches are not knowledgable enough or not able to adapt to the modern game
    * we dont produce talented players anymore
    * when kids are younger or any good its straight over to the uk. How many dont make it or go to clubs they wont progress in. Why not stay in irish league and strengthen physically and progress
    * we have sold our own league down the swanny. No investment.
    List goes on

bear1 wrote: »
    The arrogance though of the Danish manager annoys me.
    Nom sportsman like and gives me the impression of a na na na na na type of person.

don't get that vibe at all, seems very pragmatic

Specialun wrote:

Mod note:Not here, lad, take it elsewhere.

Buford T. Justice

Specialun wrote:

Name a quality top class player he had playing tonight, just one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Delaney has to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

In a way I congratulate MON on a decent campaign, but I think with a better attitude we could have gone to Russia.

But prepare yourselves for ROI to just being a Moldova or a Lithuania in the future.

No players coming through and the last of the old guard finished now, no proper manager would go near us for the next while.

Dark days ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Qatar 2022.

No! Just no!

We can not have a nation of gingers and pastie faced alcohol dependents, in 40 degree heat, in an Islamic country hosting the W.C.

It would be a humanitarian disaster and the credit unions would fold when the bond holders call in their debts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

It'll be hard, but global football can hopefully find a way out of the darkness of a tournament cruelly shorn of paddywhackery, comedy tricolours and wall-to-wall Joe.ie merchants.

Noveight wrote: »
    Whopper session in Copenhagen tonight.

and temple bar

Name a quality top class player he had playing tonight, just one?

A stupid arguement..its international football..we have plenty of pl players..over 3/4 of the starting line up are or have played in the PL or are currently playing in. We dont have to be compared to spain or france all the time. We have enough to qualify

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Your aunt had balls, they were mine and they were deep in her

You must be the only man in ireland with any success getting balls into the box tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

A stupid arguement..its international football..we have plenty of pl players..over 3/4 of the starting line up are or have played in the PL or are currently playing in. We dont have to be compared to spain or france all the time. We have enough to qualify

The PL is shíte though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

MON has got some great results as Ireland manager. But he gets the side to play an awful style of football in which we sometimes, quite fortunately, brutalize our way to results.

Tonight we got what we deserved, after a campaign that got progressively more regressive - if that makes any sense - as it went on. The game in Wales was a night in which our stunningly primitive brand of football was proved to be what was required, but the result from that game papered over the cracks: with a bit more balls and courage we could have pushed on after the Austria away game and topped that group. But O' Neills caveman approach cost us in the end - and now we have two more years of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

The PL is shíte though?
    It's back baby, Man City will probably win the CL. But, it's a split league. And sadly all our PL players play for the have-nots.

The PL is shíte though?

Its not though. To make it in the pl is difficult. A few of the irish team play week in week out. How many thousands dont make it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Game's over Harry, losht agin

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement