Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

COYBIG

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

pgj2015 wrote: »
    i dont care if people dont support our own league, thats up to them, i will though, i just think its silly to say we won when talking about arsenal when you are from somewhere like achill :pac:

I know. A mate of mine was in the depths of Africa one time, Uganda or somewhere and a local guy comes up and asks him if he knows the Leeds result!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

It might well do and Im sure alot of people do love the LOI because of that reason but it seems to have worked for the rugby, maybe soccer is a different proposition.

It worked in the rugby because the four provinces have a rich history dating back God knows how long. They weren't just four made up teams that have only existed since the game went professional in 95, they just decided to make the provincial teams professional while keeping the club teams amateur.

Plus nobody gives a toss about the Scottish league so can't see people rushing out to watch Munster United play some team from the Scottish non league because even if the Scots did decide to let teams from Ireland into their leagues it ain't gonna be straight to the spl to play Celtic which would be the only team that would draw a crowd in Ireland and even then barely 12,000 showed up to watch them play Inter Milan in Thomond Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

It worked in the rugby because the four provinces have a rich history dating back God knows how long. They weren't just four made up teams that have only existed since the game went professional in 95, they just decided to make the provincial teams professional while keeping the club teams amateur.

Plus nobody gives a toss about the Scottish league so can't see people rushing out to watch Munster United play some team from the Scottish non league because even if the Scots did decide to let teams from Ireland into their leagues it ain't gonna be straight to the spl to play Celtic which would be the only team that would draw a crowd in Ireland and even then barely 12,000 showed up to watch them play Inter Milan in Thomond Park.

The Scottish league may not be great but it is a better standard overall than the LOI. The SPL might let the Irish teams straight to the top tier as they would see it as a chance to improve their own league and revenues. The ideal scenario would to be allowed into the English leagues or the formation of British and Irish Super league featuring rangers/celtic and the Irish teams as mentioned. But Celtic and Rangers applied to get into the English league and got turned down so I cant see that happening anytime soon. The possibility of a European super league remains on the horizon so I think it is a valid discussion in that context- an Irish professional team in it?

As for interest, it may take time to build up the brands. I think people will in the long run be eager to support Irish teams if they are well run and competitive. Of course I am speculating and the idea might never work but it is interesting to ponder all the same.

2 men and a dog used to watch the Inter Pros. There was no rich history, except of people having a day out when national southern hemisphere sides like NZ toured...because they wanted to see the opponents. In 1994, there was zero interest in Munster, you had a few hundred at matches.

Which is not to say I support the provincial league idea for football at all. I mean, while Munster have done well, has it really improved national teams? We've always been awful at the rugby World Cup, but are Scotland and Wales reaching more semi finals?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

pgj2015 wrote: »
    i dont care if people dont support our own league, thats up to them, i will though, i just think its silly to say we won when talking about arsenal when you are from somewhere like achill :pac:

I never understand why people support English teams but not their own. The quality of stands will improve if people pay the money to go see them. We've been to a few league games and the atmosphere is great. There are people who follow their local teams round the country and I consider them the true Irish football fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭mattser

I never understand why people support English teams but not their own. The quality of stands will improve if people pay the money to go see them. We've been to a few league games and the atmosphere is great. There are people who follow their local teams round the country and I consider them the true Irish football fan.

Thank you. It's bad enough that the ' fields of athenry ' clan don't bother their bo**ix, but the top brass are rarely if ever seen either.
    Talk about leading by example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

The Scottish league may not be great but it is a better standard overall than the LOI. The SPL might let the Irish teams straight to the top tier as they would see it as a chance to improve their own league and revenues. The ideal scenario would to be allowed into the English leagues or the formation of British and Irish Super league featuring rangers/celtic and the Irish teams as mentioned. But Celtic and Rangers applied to get into the English league and got turned down so I cant see that happening anytime soon. The possibility of a European super league remains on the horizon so I think it is a valid discussion in that context- an Irish professional team in it?

As for interest, it may take time to build up the brands. I think people will in the long run be eager to support Irish teams if they are well run and competitive. Of course I am speculating and the idea might never work but it is interesting to ponder all the same.

Never happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

better standard of football, better players, better facilties, better atmosphere and all round better matchday experience. I dont have anything against the Irish league if thats your thing fair play to you but it can never compete with the the glamour of the English league.

If people supported their own we would be able to get a better standard of player which would lead to better football and better facilities.

By the way, Iv been to numerous games at both Premier League and Championship level in England, but the best athmospheres Iv ever experienced have been in places like Turners Cross, Dalymount Park and Oriel Park.

For me, nothing in this world can compare to going out and supporting my local team, but people are free to do what they like, I just wish more would give it a shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

better standard of football, better players, better facilties, better atmosphere and all round better matchday experience. I dont have anything against the Irish league if thats your thing fair play to you but it can never compete with the the glamour of the English league.

There is a vast difference between actual fans of a UK team who have been going to games since childhood and someone who got a nice warm feeling in their special place in wither 1999/2005 and decided to follow United or Liverpool.

I'd be the former.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Anyway I'm coming round to normality again, we're not in a world cup once again, get over it.
    I'm dying to go to Dalymount again, went to a few matches last year for the first time in years. Honestly Bohemians look like Barcelona compared to Ireland, and the bars in the ground are great craic before the match and half time. And then you have McGowans afterwards, great Friday night out, if you're even a fledgling Bohs fan you should get over to see them when the season starts again. Gypsy Kings!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,648 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Mod:

dead.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement