Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TC Retrospective Vetting

Options
  • 14-11-2017 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭

If anyone is going through this 2-step process currently, be aware that after you have forwarded documents to the TC, you will receive an email 'inviting' you to complete a form from the National Garda Vetting Bureau.
    This important email however, may end up in your Trash folder as it did with me, thus delaying the process further. Don't know how that happened, but it did!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭acequion

Mine has just been completed. I came on here all panicked when I got my first mail as I've lived in tons of places all over Europe. But everybody assured me it was all quite straight forward and it was.

I got an email last week from the Garda Vetting people with the sinister sounding information that a "disclosure" had been made to the TC.

Now to my knowledge I've more or less managed to always keep out of trouble but when you've lived all over the place and you hear all sorts of stories about mistaken identities etc etc you'd be a tad apprehensive at the idea of a "disclosure." But all it was was a declaration that I had no criminal record.
    Whew :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You really would have to wonder about the people who word these replies sometimes.

It reminds me of the 'you have been successful' letters for the Ceard Teastas which used to start with a phrase in Irish beginning with 'Ní', convincing many of the not so fluent that they had failed. Can't remember the exact phrase now, but it was scary to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

acequion wrote: »
    Mine has just been completed. I came on here all panicked when I got my first mail as I've lived in tons of places all over Europe. But everybody assured me it was all quite straight forward and it was.

I got an email last week from the Garda Vetting people with the sinister sounding information that a "disclosure" had been made to the TC.

Now to my knowledge I've more or less managed to always keep out of trouble but when you've lived all over the place and you hear all sorts of stories about mistaken identities etc etc you'd be a tad apprehensive at the idea of a "disclosure." But all it was was a declaration that I had no criminal record.

This came up at TUI training. We’ve been asked to warn staff and they have written to ask the TC to change the wordjng

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I visited a load of schools with my CV early last week, looking for subbing work. They all asked if I had my Garda Vetting and I assured them that I did.

That was until I showed a principal my document and she told me it was the "old system" and was therefore out of date. I've searched my in-box since but got no indication at all that I needed to do the retrospective eVetting application.

I've my form and proof ID/proof of address all sent off now, but I'm amazed that I was never given a heads-up about a new system coming in. I was just totally out of the loop after a change of jobs last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

acequion wrote: »

Same !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

I heard Matt Cooper on a few weeks ago talking about the Humphries case. He went on about Garda Vetting like it was some panacea, now that everybody who has any contact with children must be vetted. Despite the obvious fact that Humphries or O'Rourke or any number of paedophile priests would have flew through the vetting.

Like, what does it realistically achieve? I feel it's classic Irish be seen to be doing something while actually putting a lot of decent people off volunteering etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Like, what does it realistically achieve? I feel it's classic Irish be seen to be doing something while actually putting a lot of decent people off volunteering etc.

I've said this from the start. I am well sure anyone of a child interfering inclination is well able to conceal it. That's how they get away with it.

All the repeated vetting does is frighten people off activities (scouts, youth clubs etc.) and give parents a false sense of security as to how safe their children are, when it's the family circle is far more dangerous in terms of child abuse.

Advertisement