Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you cancel a car insurance claim

Options
  • 14-11-2017 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

If I put the claim in to the insurance but then the guy who crashed into me offers to pay in cash can I cancel the claim and it not effect either of our no claims. Or any excess to be paid? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

You can cancel an own damage claim under your own policy and there would be no negative impact on you.

You still need to disclose to future insurers that you had an accident where the other party was liable. This too should not affect anything

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ninjas totems

You can cancel an own damage claim under your own policy and there would be no negative impact on you.

You still need to disclose to future insurers that you had an accident where the other party was liable. This too should not affect anything

Thanks for the reply, would it effect the person at fault?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Yes. They will have to declare it when they renew. Once the insurance companies are involved it's on both your records. The fact that there was no payout means that the other person's NCD is intact, you can reimburse the insurance company to maintain NCD, but their premium may increase as they are a greater risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

They have to declare an accident where they were liable to future Insurers. Their NCB will be intact, so most insurers will let it go as normal but some will consider it to be a higher risk.

Advertisement