Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External wall insulation costs

Options
  • 14-11-2017 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭

Hi guys ,

Looking for a rough idea how much pebble dash external wall insulation’s would be on a three bedroom house semi d? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,991 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Not sure of the question here.

You want to externally insulate a wall? And then have it pebble dashed?

What size insulation,. What time is it fully wrapping the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

listermint wrote: »

Sorry - I’ll try to make myself clear :-(

I’m looking at getting a rough guide price on wrapping a three bed semi D, with a pebble dash insulation if that makes sense ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,991 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Excluding grant depending on multiple factors between 12 - 18k.

Factors include depth of insulation. Finish, color and obviously size.

Grant is also available I believe up to 4-5k

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I’m looking at getting a rough guide price on wrapping a three bed semi D, with a pebble dash insulation if that makes sense ?

You want external insulation.
    Then you want to finish it with pebble dash.

Usually it will be rendered as the rendering process is specific to the external wall insulation system.

Budget about €15 after grants but you’d have to get specific quotes as I’ve seen semis get done for 15 but I’ve also seen them get some for more.

Grants available.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

kceire wrote: »
    You want external insulation.
    Then you want to finish it with pebble dash.

Usually it will be rendered as the rendering process is specific to the external wall insulation system.

Budget about €15 after grants but you’d have to get specific quotes as I’ve seen semis get done for 15 but I’ve also seen them get some for more.

Grants available.

He probably means house is currently pebble dashed

• Advertisement

Hi all ,

Thanks for replies ! The house is currently pebble dashed ! And I would like the exterior insulation to be finished in pebble dash also .

listermint wrote: »

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hi all ,

Thanks for replies ! The house is currently pebble dashed ! And I would like the exterior insulation to be finished in pebble dash also .

I’m not sure this can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ecofriendly153

To get the grant I believe you have to have the recommended finish applied to the insulation. I had my house done in 2012. It had granite stone finish on part of the wall which had to be removed. The bungalow had 55 sq m of wall and 25 sqm of window. The final cost was 10k after the grant. I have written up tips and an ROI calculator for external insulation which you may find useful ecofriendly153.wordpress.com so far I have saved 6k over the 5 year period.

To get the grant I believe you have to have the recommended finish applied to the insulation. I had my house done in 2012. It had granite stone finish on part of the wall which had to be removed. The bungalow had 55 sq m of wall and 25 sqm of window. The final cost was 10k after the grant. I have written up tips and an ROI calculator for external insulation which you may find useful ecofriendly153.wordpress.com so far I have saved 6k over the 5 year period.

Do the windows have to be brought forward?, did the insulation make a massive difference to the warmth of the house?

• Advertisement

Yes the comfort level increased immediately. What happens is the 9 inch cavity blocks begin to heat up as they can not loose the heat through the insulation, walls that were cold to touch after 2 days were now warm to touch. This was even before the outside render was complete. Before the insulation was applied the temperature used to drop by 7 degrees plus between heat cycles after the drop was 1-2 degrees. If you are considering external insulation, have a look at your windows first to see if they require upgrading. Why, because a 20 mm layer of insulation and render is applied around the recessed windows up to the window frame, effectively burying the window frame. So upgrading windows after external insulation will add additional cost to replace the insulation. Have a look at the link I gave above it will explain a lot.

Yes the comfort level increased immediately. What happens is the 9 inch cavity blocks begin to heat up as they can not loose the heat through the insulation, walls that were cold to touch after 2 days were now warm to touch. This was even before the outside render was complete. Before the insulation was applied the temperature used to drop by 7 degrees plus between heat cycles after the drop was 1-2 degrees. If you are considering external insulation, have a look at your windows first to see if they require upgrading. Why, because a 20 mm layer of insulation and render is applied around the recessed windows up to the window frame, effectively burying the window frame. So upgrading windows after external insulation will add additional cost to replace the insulation. Have a look at the link I gave above it will explain a lot.

Thanks, yes we recently upgraded all the windows to triple glazed recently. Would the window frames not need to be moved forward during the external insulation installation?

Otherwise they would look sunk into the house.

Who did your install?

Thanks, yes we recently upgraded all the windows to triple glazed recently. Would the window frames not need to be moved forward during the external insulation installation?

Who did your install?

Personally I would avoid moving the windows forward because It is probably better to insulate the recess block and it would be less expensive. I would ask the installer for advice on that.
    Am I allowed give the name of the installer on this forum? or can you pm me?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Personally I would avoid moving the windows forward because It is probably better to insulate the recess block and it would be less expensive. I would ask the installer for advice on that.
    Am I allowed give the name of the installer on this forum? or can you pm me?

It’s better to move the windows out.
    They are either put on metal angles or threated timber.
    By moving them out you get a better overlap/ less of thermal bridge.

Mod note. Please don’t recommend installers in the forum. Use the PM function. Also have a read of the forum charter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

BryanF wrote: »
    It’s better to move the windows out.
    They are either put on metal angles or threated timber.
    By moving them out you get a better overlap/ less of thermal bridge.

Mod note. Please don’t recommend installers in the forum. Use the PM function. Also have a read of the forum charter

Agree. It’s far better to move them out and I'd strongly recommend it but I’d try and avoid metal angles to support the windows as they create a cold bridge (this is the one thing I’d have changed in my house if I could go back in time). Either use fibreglass angles or best is a super rigid insulation like Compacfoam or purenit. Facade companies like Iso Chemie, Hanno and Illbruck do thermal bridge fixings but you’d be looking at commercial size projects rather than residential for these.

As for installers if you want the grant you have to use a registered installer from the approved list. A quick google will find the full list of registered installers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭mattser

Who did your install?

Did you build an extra room to facilitate the bugs ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Maire Bhig

Hi, ecofriendly 153, I'm about to look into external insulation in my home and found your article on wordpress extremely helpful and informative. I have PMd you re the contractors you used. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

Im wondering about airtightness, rather than rip out the interior which based on its condition isnt required to be replaced. I had read about exterior airtightness, Im not sure how thats going to work though as the layer will be pierced by fixings of some description to secure the insulation layer, plus the insulation could not be bonded to the existing wall external surface over a layer like that?

My question is, wouldnt the external insulation be an airtight layer itself?would that not be sufficient? any minute gaps at the window frame edges would be sealed externally by insulation and appropriate sealant and they could have some airtightness membrane where the frame internal side meets the wall, bedded in there and then sealed with an appropriate adhesive or plastered in?

The most off putting for people where improving performance (I consider) is ripping out an interior that doesnt need replacing right now or because they have it set up and decorated how they like, the newer it is the worse it is to do as it all has to be renewed, my own interior doesnt really need to be replaced, it'd be better to be doing the work on a new building where you could cover an airtight membrane in a frame and dryline it to conceal new services. Tearing out the interior is a lot of extra cost and inconvenience Id rather put into insualtion/airtight insulated windows.

Advertisement