Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mindfactory returns replace or buy new PSU/Motherboard

Options
  • 14-11-2017 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hi all,

Below is the spec of a 2 year old PC:

Intel Core i5 6600
    8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4-2400 DIMM CL16 Single
    8192MB Sapphire Radeon R9 390 Nitro

550 Watt Seasonic G Series Modular 80+ Gold € 76,40
    MSI H170A Gaming Pro Intel H170 So.1151 Dual Channel DDR4 ATX Retail € 123.83

Power supply and motherboard were faulty and have been returned to mindfactory.de. They reimbursed the postage and have sent me item not in stock documents. I’m not sure if this means that they are refunding the €200, giving me store credit or telling me they’re doing nothing and it’s back to the manufacturer.

Do I get a choice in any of this?

I was just hoping for replacements for free, but is it wise?

Would I be better off looking for better manufacturers? ie could someone recommend manufacturers whose products aren’t going to fail after 2 years?

Should I press for cash or credit?

If so, given my spec above what motherboard & PSU would you recommend? H170 motherboards seem to have disappeared?

I wouldn’t object to spending a few quid for a noticeable upgrade or to increase the longevity of the PC. Even processor/GPU upgrade is in the mix but would be Freesync only as have nice Freesync monitor!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

That's a tricky one, ever since Mindfactory stopped shipping abroad.
    I think you'll need to get in contact with them & explain that, and ask for a full (monetary) refund due to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭€>sense

Never knew mindfactory stopped shipping abroad, so store credit is out of the question!

I had been on to the manufacturers first, looking to assert my EU warranty, but both pushed me back to mindfactory.

If I get a full refund, any suggestions on PSU / motherboard and retailer? I’m obviously 2 years out of date! .....

I got some stuff from an amazon.co.uk once, are they still in business? ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I think you've just gotten unlucky on the motherboard; there's very little difference in build quality between the manufacturers TBH (more about power phase design & port placement).

Ok thanks!

Yes I have been unlucky, first Benq monitor then mb & PSU on the same 2015 Christmas purchase!

Could it all have been related? Did a dodgy PSU or motherboard cause all the failures?

I’ll see how myself and google translate get on!

Other than amazon, what retailers are recommended on boards these days?these days?

Anyone understand EU consumer rights?

Mindfactory are returning the motherboard to me for return to the manufacturer???? because it's broken??

They are offering me store credit on the PSU that I can't use as they don't ship to Ireland.

Any advice?

• Advertisement

€>sense wrote: »
    Anyone understand EU consumer rights?

Mindfactory are returning the motherboard to me for return to the manufacturer???? because it's broken??

They are offering me store credit on the PSU that I can't use as they don't ship to Ireland.

Any advice?

Well not too bad in the end. Hell of a confusing google translate battle.

Got cash refunds for return shipping and the PSU. They returned the motherboard to me because there was “external” damage. This was despite MSI agreeing that a pci slot was defective and offering a replacement! But saying I should go through the retailer first.

Mindfactory had a copy of that email chain, but never read it and simply shipped it back to me.

They then spent a week arguing the warranty was void, before finally agreeing that they should send it to MSI for replacement. All the time not realising or not telling me the board was en route to Ireland.

So now they’re agreeing to send it to MSI, if I send it back to them! Grrrrrrr

I think I’ll cut my losses here. Return shipping to MSI or Mindfactory will be €30 and a min of 2 more weeks with no PC. I can have a H270 equivalent board for €110 arriving with the PSU st the end of the week.

Any thoughts? Anything to be done with mb with a h170 board with a broken x16 PCIe slot?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Won't MSI cover the postage? Usually when I RMA( Samsung, Oculus, SanDisk ) they send a UPS label that you use.

I would have just RMA'd the stuff rather than deal with the mind factory situation.

How did you bust the PCIE connector( not an easy job unless you forget the clip )? Maybe this is why MSI won't cover postage?

Advertisement