Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Australia say Yes to Marriage Equality 61.6% Yes- 79% response!

• 15-11-2017 12:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭

Poor auld Keith and co couldnt scare monger in Australia with it seems!

Delighted for my fellow LGBTI friends in Oz and their allies! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Great news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Almost exactly the same percentage as here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

We were 1% higher lol :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Fair play to them!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Shame it even had to go to a vote, but terrific news regardless. Equality extended to an extra 24 million people :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Yay another few million people get the right to buy an overpriced sheet of paper from the government. Whoop dee doo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Shame it even had to go to a vote, but terrific news regardless. Equality extended to an extra 24 million people :)

I had no idea that there were 24 million gay people in Australia?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Roger_007 wrote: »

It's all the sun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Up the Aussies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

The big macho thing there is just a cover for the fact that they're all gay. The children there are all imported from a cloning bank in China and adopted by gay couples

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Great news. You'd have to be a real flamin' mongrel to feel anything other than happy about this.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Well then, you've learned something new today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Superb news. Well done that lot!

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

snowflaker wrote: »

Delighted for my fellow LGBTI friends in Oz and their allies! :)

What does the I stand for?

Excellent news from Down Under.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

well done good to hear some good news

Omackeral wrote: »
    What does the I stand for?

Intersex

Omackeral wrote: »

Except that almost 40% of Aussies don't agree?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

I like my beer cold, my TV loud and my homosexuals flaming galahs.

Like in Ireland, it's best to focus on the 60% who aren't miserable bastards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Which means 60% do. You understand how democracy works right? Besides, the 40% don't have to marry someone of their own sex if they don't want to. Cool huh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

I see Roscommon voted No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

If there isn't a gay bar called "Gayers Rock" opened within 12 months I'll be disappointed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

RayM wrote: »
    Great news. You'd have to be a real flamin' mongrel to feel anything other than happy about this.

I don't feel happy about it. In fact I feel nothing at all about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

same sex marriage is happening that's all that matters.

Like in Ireland, it's best to focus on the 60% who aren't miserable bastards.

Personally I don't mind what they do in Australia. It doesn't affect me. But I don't think it's fair to categorise people who don't agree with your point of view as 'miserable bastards'.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

Lucky it wasn't 66.6%. Can you imagine the fuss. :)

Personally I don't mind what they do in Australia. It doesn't affect me. But I don't think it's fair to categorise people who don't agree with your point of view as 'miserable bastards'.

I think it's totally fair to classify as a joyless streak of misery anybody who actively opposes the right of two people who love each other to get married.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

We were 1% higher lol :P

Both are 62% to the nearest % :p

That's not a given btw.
    This wasn't a referendum, it was a plebiscite. People on this thread are obviously forgiven for assume that a Yes vote = same sex marriage. But the reality is, that legally nothing has changed. This just quantifies public opinion, a survey basically. The decision is still at the hands of the MPs - as it was before the vote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Normally I'd agree but in this case they're just c*nts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Really Interested

Who said life or boards is fair. Someone disagrees with your opinion thinks you a prick because guess what your opinion is a indicator you are, then it’s boo boo the other boys laughing at me, get a life, when someone disagrees with you that is their right like it’s your right to have backward views.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 440 ✭✭GritBiscuit

Fingers crossed. The Australian parliament would be brave not to go with the majority now - but they can always drag their feet...

Fingers crossed. The Australian parliament would be brave not to go with the majority now - but they can always drag their feet...

The bill will be introduced and resolved before the Christmas/Summer break. The issue is that a group of middle aged politicians are likely more conservative that the population as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

More or less the same as the Irish result, still a bit deflating to think that 1 in 3 people would have a problem with 2 gay people marrying, but a win's a win as they say

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Voting yes in our own referendum was the easiest yes I've ever done so I'm delighted for all LGBT people in Australia right now. No matter who you choose to love you should have the right to marry them whether they're of the same gender as you or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

They don't want to afford the same rights they have to those who are LGBT. Pretty miserable..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Well hes right, not all australians are gay but 24 million australians now have the right to marry a person of same gender if they so wish

Who said life or boards is fair. Someone disagrees with your opinion thinks you a prick because guess what your opinion is a indicator you are, then it’s boo boo the other boys laughing at me, get a life, when someone disagrees with you that is their right like it’s your right to have backward views.

What you failed to notice is that I did not express any view on the subject, backwards, forwards or otherwise. I was pointing out that people have the right to express an opinion that might differ from the mainstream.
    You should remember that it is not so long ago that the mainstream opinion was very much anti gay. Thankfully, that has changed.
    As a matter of interest, I voted Yes in the Irish referendum, but I respect the right of those who voted No to have a different opinion from me, mainly, I assume, because they genuinely have a different idea of what marriage means. You obviously don't respect that right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Not at all, I think it's great to see it go to a vote because it will pass in places like Australia or Ireland which gives Iona etc or their equivalent sweet f*** all credibility on the matter. The public have spoken, and that's all folks!

I used to live on Liverpool St. in Sydney which it turns out is the gayest area in the city, the country, and most of the southern hemisphere (which is a funny thing to find out after moving in! :pac: ) so great to see, gonna be some mad week in Stonewall, Midnight Club, etc down there I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

Well done Australia. The more we get rid of old irrelevant thinking the more inclusive and tolerant a society we will build.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

It's a survey, note a vote and means nothing unless the govt actually act on the back of it, which to be far, the have said they will.

Pretty stupid waste of $122m rather than legislating for it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

It's a survey, note a vote and means nothing unless the govt actually act on the back of it, which to be far, the have said they will.

Pretty stupid waste of $122m rather than legislating for it though.

I hope they don't and it brings them down. For all their flaws Labour wouldn't have wasted that money on something that that should be a given.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Billy86 wrote: »
    Not at all, I think it's great to see it go to a vote because it will pass in places like Australia or Ireland which gives Iona etc or their equivalent sweet f*** all credibility on the matter. The public have spoken, and that's all folks!

I used to live on Liverpool St. in Sydney which it turns out is the gayest area in the city, the country, and most of the southern hemisphere (which is a funny thing to find out after moving in! :pac: ) so great to see, gonna be some mad week in Stonewall, Midnight Club, etc down there I'd say.

I would have said Oxford street takes that title. On a side note, when my friend first moved to Sydney he needed a new hammer or something, and went in to a place called "the tool shed" on Oxford street.
    He didn't get his hammer...

derfderf wrote: »
    [
    I would have said Oxford street takes that title. On a side note, when my friend first moved to Sydney he needed a new hammer or something, and went in to a place called "the tool shed" on Oxford street.
    He didn't get his hammer...
    #ThatHappened

PM has promised to legislate before Xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭brandnewaward

Billy86 wrote: »

midnight shift closed down two weeks ago , oxford st is ****ed :(

PM has promised to legislate before Xmas

PM has promised to legislate before Xmas...if the Bill is passed.

Second bit is important.
    I'm not saying they won't pass it, but they could have just passed the bill without spending $100m.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

Jeez, it took them a while to catch up with this part of the world. Fair play to them, they're finally exiting the stone age :P

Jeez, it took them a while to catch up with this part of the world. Fair play to them, they're finally exiting the stone age :P

TIL that the stone age ended in Ireland in 2015

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

No, a flamin' gallah. Strewth.

• Advertisement
Advertisement