Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Australia say Yes to Marriage Equality 61.6% Yes- 79% response!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,714 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

derfderf wrote: »
    I would have said Oxford street takes that title. On a side note, when my friend first moved to Sydney he needed a new hammer or something, and went in to a place called "the tool shed" on Oxford street.
    He didn't get his hammer...
    Mellor wrote: »
    #ThatHappened
    The Tool Shed is a real store on Oxford Street. But Oxford Street is not a place you would go if you were looking to buy some Black & Decker, and even if you did, when you got there you'd find the Tool Shed located between the Lick Her Store and The Shift Bar, both of which are exactly the kind of joints you think they are. Plus, the signage outside the Tool Shed is fairly unambiguous.

So, I'm with Mellor on this. Pics, or it didn't happen.

PM has promised to legislate before Xmas...if the Bill is passed.

Second bit is important.
    I'm not saying they won't pass it, but they could have just passed the bill without spending $100m.
    The Bill was introduced into Parliament today, and the proponent of a rival Bill which would have permitted discrimination by service providers opposed to same-sex marriage has announced that he will not be proceeding with it. There'll still be a bit of pushing and shoving with attempts to amend the Bill to carve-out some exemptions from anti-discrimination legislation, but I predict that it will zip through Parliament faster than a ferret on meths.

You're right; the "survey" was a needless waste of both time and money and it was painful for some of those affected by the debate, but it has some good outcomes. It shows conclusively that support for marriage equality is not just a simple majority, but is widespread geographically, and across age groups and social class. And it should put the kibosh on a lot of nonsensical "silent majority" claims. The high turnout is a further bonus; nobody can say any more that this is an issue that only concerns those obsessed by political correctness, but that the ordinary voter is not bothered about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Both are 62% to the nearest % :p

That's not a given btw.
    This wasn't a referendum, it was a plebiscite. People on this thread are obviously forgiven for assume that a Yes vote = same sex marriage. But the reality is, that legally nothing has changed. This just quantifies public opinion, a survey basically. The decision is still at the hands of the MPs - as it was before the vote.

Bloody expensive opinion poll

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Really Interested

Roger_007 wrote: »
    What you failed to notice is that I did not express any view on the subject, backwards, forwards or otherwise. I was pointing out that people have the right to express an opinion that might differ from the mainstream.
    You should remember that it is not so long ago that the mainstream opinion was very much anti gay. Thankfully, that has changed.
    As a matter of interest, I voted Yes in the Irish referendum, but I respect the right of those who voted No to have a different opinion from me, mainly, I assume, because they genuinely have a different idea of what marriage means. You obviously don't respect that right.

You misread what I said I can respect a right but not respect the person who expresses the right. There is a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Pretty stupid waste of m rather than legislating for it though.
    Problem in the modern media where twitter garbage is reprinted as "news", once there's blood in the water of a politician it can be hard to pull it back.

So imagine without a survey, they legalised gay marriage. Some misanthrope starts making noise about it, talking about there being "no mandate" for it, that it's not supported by the population. So a few other politicians who are dying to get their hand on more power, echo these calls, demand the PM resigns.

Before you know it, the government has collapsed and the next one rolls back and removes gay marriage. While people support gay marriage when asked directly, it's not that important an issue for the majority of people that they would base their parliamentary votes on it. Gay Marriage or tax cuts? Unfortunately the latter will win out.

Social issues tend to be used as political footballs by those they don't affect. But with the results of this survey, anyone who complains about legalising same sex marriage can be given the middle finger and told to go crawl back under their rock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

wakka12 wrote: »
    Roger_007 wrote: »
    I had no idea that there were 24 million gay people in Australia?

Well hes right, not all australians are gay but 24 million australians now have the right to marry a person of same gender if they so wish
    And avoid a hefty inheritance tax bill.

Not that it would cross anyone's mind to use the forthcoming legislation in that way...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Mad how there's still almost 40% of the population who think gay prople shouldn't be allowed get married....

Same in Ireland.

40% is too high to explain away on old people who are from a different era

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Mad how there's still almost 40% of the population who think gay prople shouldn't be allowed get married....

Conservatism will always be here

padd b1975 wrote: »
    And avoid a hefty inheritance tax bill.

Not that it would cross anyone's mind to use the forthcoming legislation in that way...
    There is no inheritance tax in Australia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Its a great day for the aussies, congrats on jumping into the 21st century, just like us it was put to a vote and it passed, thanks to the peolpe of ireland im getting married to my partner(25years together) soon ..... were just a normal hard working couple who want the same entitlements as any other couple in this country. Were not camp not loud and proud not gonna run away with your children not in your face "gays" .... just a happy couple with good friends and family and living our lives like everyone else..... thank you for the vote of confidence ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Gay skippy. Thats what yez want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Odhinn wrote: »

Nah just happy with gay men....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Odhinn wrote: »

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Same in Ireland.

40% is too high to explain away on old people who are from a different era

Basing my opinion simply off facebook comments the majority are just pig ignorant bogans. You know the 'type'. For most of your life you get to ignore them until democracy swings around and they get to have an opinion that potentially counts for something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Conservatism will always be here

Do we have an age breakdown of our referendum voting out of curiousity? I remember hearing the older people voted more progressively than expected but don't remember seeing numbers, and given that anyone over 50 would have grown up in the 70s and either been set in their ways or just more conservative generally. I don't know anyone who said it themselves but a number of people whose parents and older relatives would have noted no basically "because I don't know" - which strikes me as more just general fear of the unknown than anything. Apparently some expressed regret at doing so after the fact, too.

I'd say if it was redone tomorrow though that 'yes' would move up to around 70% and by the time the referendum is a decade old it would be closer to 80% though. One of those things where normalisation occurs pretty quick when the Sharknado With Bees In Their Mouths, Bees With Guns, Guns That Make You Gay and Get AIDS! apocalypse that Iona and co were telling us about never happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Billy86 wrote: »
    Do we have an age breakdown of our referendum voting out of curiousity?
    For ours, we don't. The secrecy of the ballot box requires that no profiling data can be gathered. The turnout is reported, but never a breakdown of who turned out.

For the most part any stats gathered are collected by exit polls, but to the best of my knowledge the state doesn't perform anything like this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

It's not a surprise as the cultural revolution continues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Brilliant result, shame it doesn't have any impact on the current legal situation but hopefully this will be enough to finally bring marriage equality to Australia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

derfderf wrote: »
    I would have said Oxford street takes that title. On a side note, when my friend first moved to Sydney he needed a new hammer or something, and went in to a place called "the tool shed" on Oxford street.
    He didn't get his hammer...

You're right, it was right on Oxford/Liverpool by Crown St (or Shady Pines/The Winery if that rings any bells). At the corner of Hyde Park Liverpool St becomes Oxford St - was a few years back and I'd go through Liverpool St/Hyde Park to work every morning so completely forgot that.

Completely forgot about The Tool Shed! :pac: Was never in there myself but there were actually some pretty nice spots to get an afternoon pint there, used to pop into the The Colombian from time to time about 100ft from my apartment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

I kind of wish they voted no just for the outrage

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I kind of wish they voted no just for the outrage

Don't worry, it was a non-binding referendum.... oh wait, we're not doing that routine for this one? Right right...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

_Dara_ wrote: »
    No, a flamin' gallah. Strewth.

Well, strike me flamin' handsome!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

TIL that the stone age ended in Ireland in 2015

Let's not forget the one of the countries put on the pedestal of social progressiveness, Germany, does not have marriage equality.

For me, any country that has a public vote bringing this outcome, they should be encourage and applauded rather than mocked for their tardiness. (I'm not suggesting you're doing this, the post just evoked the thought)

Up the Aussies!

Edit: I'm wrong, seems it became legal 1st October.... fake new, carry on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Good high yes vote.

Good to see Australia in the news for positive stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

enda1 wrote: »
    For me, any country that has a public vote bringing this outcome, they should be encourage and applauded rather than mocked for their tardiness. (I'm not suggesting you're doing this, the post just evoked the thought)
    I was just pointing out the irony of calling Australia "stone aged", when we only voted it in out self 2 years ago.
    Do we have an age breakdown of our referendum voting out of curiosity?

ACT had the highest Yes Vote. 74%
    NSW had the lowest. 57.8%. Which surprised a lot of people.
    The rest were 60-65%

17 out on 150 Electorates voted No. And 12 of them were in NSW. Essentially greater Sydney areas.

The metropolitan areas of Sydney and Melbourne were the highest at 84% Yes.
    Bankstown was 75% No.

For any one familiar with the demographics of Sydney/NSW. The reason for the above is obvious.

Highest participation was in 70-74 and 75-79 age groups. (90%)
    Lowest was 20-24 and 25-29 (72%)
    You're right, it was right on Oxford/Liverpool by Crown St (or Shady Pines/The Winery if that rings any bells). At the corner of Hyde Park Liverpool St becomes Oxford St - was a few years back and I'd go through Liverpool St/Hyde Park to work every morning so completely forgot that.

Liverpool actually continues straight to into darlinghurst. A few seedy bars up there like the Darlo. :pac:

Advertisement