Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notice to change in Shift

Options
  • 15-11-2017 1:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭

HI all,

Looking for some advice.

I work as a mechanic. Our garage has 10/12 mechanics. There is also shift mechanics who are there for breakdowns etc. It has happened several times the past year, that I have been in work from 7am due to finish at 3.30pm. The man due to work from 4pm to 12pm has called in sick/missing/ill etc.

I have been told that as junior mechanic in the garage I MUST work until 10-10.30pm to cover the shift.

I have read thru the working time act, and I see it says a period of 24hours notice must be given for changes in working times. does this apply to me? I raised the issue with the supervisor and manager but they said I have to do it and it is in my contract. It is not in my contract, it just says from time to time I need to be flexible to meet needs of the company.

Is this allowed?

Am I entitled to say no?

Please, any help is appreciated before I go to the union.

Thanks

Comments

The next time it happens, tell them you have plans that can't be changed - soccer match, date, whatever - a prior engagement.

You've already shown flexibility in covering the shifts previously, so you're covered on that front. You don't HAVE to do it, but flexibility needs to work both ways.....you can't always be expected to drop everything at short notice, but likewise, a bit of goodwill and being accommodating from time to time will work in your favour (in most jobs!!!)

It's something that needs to be done in most jobs from time to time, as people get sick and shifts need covering, but the employers need to realise that their employees have lives as well and can't just drop their plans at a minutes notice all the time.

If they don't get that, or there are repercussions for refusing, being unavailable to cover the shift, then you have bigger problems.

Might be no harm to talk to your union rep off the record of it first, just to clarify - if the employers are playing hardball like this with you, chances are they have prior form for it and the union can advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Really it’s a short notice request for overtime your dealing with rather than a request to change working hours and as such they are unlikely to be subject to any limit. I know one contract I worked they had specifically written in they could request OT right up to the end of my shift and “barring occasional times” it was compulsory.

Being that and it seems your contract allows for it they are indeed allowed to ask. Do you always have to comply, well, not legally, and only you can really tell what the implications are of turning them down.

If it were me I think as stated above I’d start to occasionally turn them down fobbing them off with some important reason.

It really irks me to hear of this “the junior member must get all the shiitty stuff” thinking in a workplace, it’s completely unnecessary and reflects poorly on management.

Advertisement