Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gearbest

• 15-11-2017 1:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭

Ever wonder what the Gearbest site would look like if you removed every single thing that's made in China?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Everything is made in China, Amazon would be the same

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

That 50 pence is better off in their pocket than mine ��

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Snotty wrote: »
    With the possible exception of the Roman Empire at it's peak , China was the dominant manufacturer of "things" from the early Bronze Age until overtaken by the Industrial Revolution.

The main difference between a Mac and a PC or an Iphone and an Android for the likes of Foxconn & Co. is which production line is used to assemble them month.

But it's crazy that you can get pound shop "stuff" delivered to your door, for less than the cost of travelling to your local pound shop, or even the cost of a postage stamp.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I thought there was a thread here a few hours ago based on the premise of "Imagine China stopped producing cheap stuff for us". Reminds me of a very good 99 Percent Invisible podcast looking at how so many families are reliant on making these trinkets for Christmas, Halloween, St. Patrick's Day, etc stuff they have no real affinity to at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Snotty wrote: »

I bought a Fleece jacket the other day online . Of course when it arrived it wouldnt fit . Cost me €15 + €3.95 Parcel Motel .

Was in Penneys on Sunday and bought a very very similar Fleece jacket for €6.50

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

I bought a Fleece jacket the other day online . Of course when it arrived it wouldnt fit . Cost me €15 + €3.95 Parcel Motel .

Was in Penneys on Sunday and bought a very very similar Fleece jacket for €6.50

Which was probably made in China or Taiwan.

Cool story...

I had a great time at the singles day sale. Spent about 150 quid on stuff that would easily have cost 600+ if i bought from western sellers.

Advertisement