Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urge to father a child-concerns

Options
  • 15-11-2017 2:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have just turned 29 and I've been having a very strong urge to have a child as of late. I'm sure a part of this is built in to my evolutionary clock but I also feel that I am ready to take on the huge responsibility and all that goes with it. I am great with my nieces/nephews but do feel great relief when I get to walk away from minding them after a few days/hours. From your experiences, does this relief disappear when the child is your own?

I also worry that I may have a child with a disability or that they'd maybe inherit some of my traits such as anxiety and depression (which are mild but do come and go). I know I'd feel guilty bringing a child into the world who'd inherit some of my attributes. Has anyone here regrets due to such issues?

Apologies if this is muddled but I'd like to hear others perspectives

Thanks

Mods:Apologies if this is the wrong forum for such a topic. Please feel free to move as appropriate

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

Anon789123 wrote:
    I am great with my nieces/nephews but do feel great relief when I get to walk away from minding them after a few days/hours. From your experiences, does this relief disappear when the child is your own?

I can't speak for anything else you've mentioned but I can on this. I have a 9 month old daughter. The relief when her dad or her nana bring her off for a walk and I have the house to myself or I get to go get my hair done or meet friends for dinner is great. It's not as great as seeing her again though after being away from her for a few hours. She lights up when she sees me and I just love scooping her up for a cuddle. It's very different when it's your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Anon789123 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have just turned 29 and I've been having a very strong urge to have a child as of late. I'm sure a part of this is built in to my evolutionary clock but I also feel that I am ready to take on the huge responsibility and all that goes with it. I am great with my nieces/nephews but do feel great relief when I get to walk away from minding them after a few days/hours. From your experiences, does this relief disappear when the child is your own?

I also worry that I may have a child with a disability or that they'd maybe inherit some of my traits such as anxiety and depression (which are mild but do come and go). I know I'd feel guilty bringing a child into the world who'd inherit some of my attributes. Has anyone here regrets due to such issues?

Apologies if this is muddled but I'd like to hear others perspectives

Thanks

Mods:Apologies if this is the wrong forum for such a topic. Please feel free to move as appropriate
    First off you need a women of some sort and than go for it sure no one is perfect we have all some defect small or large,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Are you in a stable relationship?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

You litterally have the rest of your life to Father a child ,and it's certainly not an easy thing to do raise an actual child ,it can be even worse when suffering any mental health issues ,
    Stressful and isolating too.
    This coming from a dad who's been the stay at home dad ,

Find a partner to share a meaningful relationship first and foremost .

Advertisement