Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appeal a warning in A&A

Options
  • 15-11-2017 7:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'd like to appeal a warning that I received in A&A in the Texas Shooter thread.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057806078&page=6

I will happily concede that I went off topic and had a rant about the forum but it was following a post where I was called a troll for sharing my views and was being told that the 3 leading dictionaries are all wrong in their definition of Atheism.

I believe Looksee took my comments about the forum personally and responded in that vein. And despite asking me to be "less tetchy" having being called a troll, I PM'd Looksee and even said that I think they do a great job moderating a highly contentious forum.

Then another Mod (Robindch) piped in and was deliberately patronising and condescending. Again, this mod was now posting off topic and I asked him to stop baiting me back into the the thread by making out that I need "practice" in behaving on a forum. It was done deliberately twice in an attempt to wind me up so i'd respond in anger and he could ban me. I wasn't taking the bait.

I wouldn't have had an issue if Looksee had PM'd me or warned me on thread and asked me to rein it in as she had done with other posters earlier in the thread. That would have been a proportional response. But the instant warning was clearly an emotive responsive to the issues I raised and while I can understand that, I just don't feel the warning was warranted.

I also feel the follow up behaviour by Robindch actually amounted to bullying as he's in a position of power and should know better then trying to goad someone into an argument when they've stated repeatedly that they want to walk away. He has the ability to dole out warnings and bans and with that comes a level of responsibility.

Thanks for Reading..

Swanner.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Hi,

The first step in the process is to contact the mod via PM and attempt to work it out directly with them.

Have you attempted to do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Hi, Yes. They said they won't discuss it with me any further.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Hi Swanner, thanks for confirming. I'll request a CMod to review now. Please have your conversation with the mod to hand and ready to share.

Will do thanks dudara..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Good afternoon, Swanner. I will take a look at this.

You might forward a copy of the PM conversation, in which you attempted to resolve matters with the relevant moderator. It would be best if you sent that to me by PM, as opposed to posting it up.

• Advertisement

Afternoon..

Thanks for reviewing this.

I'll forward the PM's over to you now..

Thank you.

I will need to make time to read through the thread so please bear with me and I will get back to you.

Swanner wrote: »
    I also feel the follow up behaviour by Robindch actually amounted to bullying as he's in a position of power and should know better then trying to goad someone into an argument when they've stated repeatedly that they want to walk away. He has the ability to dole out warnings and bans and with that comes a level of responsibility.

This issue is beyond the remit of the DRF. The DRF is for disputes about cards and bans only.

Getting back to your yellow card, I see that posters had begun to post off topic, moving from discussion of the Texas shooter to attempted definitions of atheism. This was a thread that needed to be brought back on topic and under control.

looksee had posted an on-thread warning previously. This warning was not observed by you and looksee gave you a yellow card in relation to-off topic posting. The yellow card was a warning, requesting you to stop that behaviour. I agree that the post was off topic and the card is upheld.

You may request Admin review, if you wish.

This issue is beyond the remit of the DRF. The DRF is for disputes about cards and bans only.

Fair enough.. I still consider it bullying behavior but i'm not going to take it any further on this occasion.
    Getting back to your yellow card, I see that posters had begun to post off topic, moving from discussion of the Texas shooter to attempted definitions of atheism. This was a thread that needed to be brought back on topic and under control.

Agreed. And that's where I joined the discussion.
    looksee had posted an on-thread warning previously.

She did. But not about off topic posting. She didn't even allude to off topic posting. There was no mention of it.. Not even a hint..
    This warning was not observed by you and looksee gave you a yellow card in relation to-off topic posting. The yellow card was a warning, requesting you to stop that behaviour.

What warning and what behaviour ? I'm confused now..

Looksee posted a warning about personal digs and aggression neither of which I was accused of.. Everybody was posting off topic and continues to post off topic even now a week later yet I was the only person carded for it.

I need to understand why i've been carded and no one else has so that I can avoid these cards in future.

Check my history, i've been posting on boards for 10 years. I'm honestly not in the habit of picking up warnings and cards.
    I agree that the post was off topic and the card is upheld.

But I never disputed that my post was off topic. In fact I made a point of stating that I was... That isn't and wasn't ever the issue.

With the greatest of respect, and I appreciate you taking the time to review this, I think you may have missed the entire basis of my appeal.
    You may request Admin review, if you wish.

Please. How do I go about that ?

Swanner wrote: »
    Please. How do I go about that ?

No problem.

Can Admins review, please?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I'll review this. Please allow me some time to look over the info and make a decision.

Thank you both..

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Hi Swanner,

I've had a look into this, and I'm going to overturn the yellow card. Having read the thread, I feel that there were other posters involved in the exchange with you who would have potentially deserved yellow cards also, however they didn't receive sanctions. Also the mod warning about being on topic was only posted after you had been carded, the original mod warning was asking posters to stop making personal digs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement