Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recessed Lighting Newb Questions

Options
  • 15-11-2017 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Am in the final stages of a house restoration and looking at getting some recessed lights for a bedroom. Access for wiring and stuff should be fine (according to the builder and electrician).

I'm to supply the fittings and lights. We want the lights to be dimmable and I think that we will be using GU10 LEDs and because of this we won't need a transformer but beyond this I'm totally clueless as to what brands of fittings are good etc.. Don't have a huge budget but want to get decent kit. Usually I'd just throw amazon at the problem but with this I don't know enough.

Would anyone have advice or links to where I could educate myself on this?

Apologies if this has been covered before, I've searched with no success.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Hi,

Am in the final stages of a house restoration and looking at getting some recessed lights for a bedroom. Access for wiring and stuff should be fine (according to the builder and electrician).

I'm to supply the fittings and lights. We want the lights to be dimmable and I think that we will be using GU10 LEDs and because of this we won't need a transformer but beyond this I'm totally clueless as to what brands of fittings are good etc.. Don't have a huge budget but want to get decent kit. Usually I'd just throw amazon at the problem but with this I don't know enough.

Would anyone have advice or links to where I could educate myself on this?

Apologies if this has been covered before, I've searched with no success.

Have a look at the LED sticky at the top of the page. Some really good info there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭savemejebus

aido79 wrote: »
    Have a look at the LED sticky at the top of the page. Some really good info there.

Thanks, have been looking through it alright, will continue to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭EHP

Fittings are pretty much all the same just make sure you get a dimmable led bulb and the correct dimmer switch not all dimmer switches can dim led bulbs. I would say your best move is to go into your local electrical wolesalers and tell them what you want to do they will give you what you need. If you don't want to do this why not ask your sparks to supply the fittings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Thanks. Yeah, i was thinking of that but I wanted to have an idea of what to ask for first. As for getting the sparks to do it, builder say's he's pretty busy so we will get the job done quicker if we supply the bits.

Advertisement