Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Another school shooting in America. Surely now is the time for gun control?

• 15-11-2017 10:14am

A gunman killed four people in a remote Northern California community on Tuesday morning, but a much bigger death toll was averted when the killer was unable to break into an elementary school.

The staff at tiny Rancho Tehama Elementary School west of Corning moved quickly when they heard gunfire nearby just before classes were set to begin, Tehama County Assistant Sheriff Phil Johnston said.

Source: CNN

Yet another shooting in the only country this happens regularly in. Guy tried to get into an elementary school, where it could have been another Sandy Hook.

Surely now is the time for gun control?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Feck gun control. If they hadn't guns they'd be setting off bombs instead. Better try and change that country so the people in it won't feel like going on shooting sprees but that's hard and it costs money so easier to just blame the guns

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

California already has sone of the most restrictive gun purchase/accessibility laws in the US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

If the first elementary school shooting didnt change anything why would this have
    Sandy Hook was the strongest reason for any change and nothing changed so I honestly think it never ever will. Until several generations die off and the national consensus changes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

We should start a thoughts and prayers thread in the religion forums...that will stop it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,974 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Right now this story is not listed at all on the RTE news website and is 13th from the top of the page on the BBC. 4 Dead, 10 injured and a close escape for others is no longer big news in the context of American gun violence and as a consequence there is no likelihood of change as a result of this specific event as you intimated OP.

Tellingly, it is leading on the Fox News Website but the slant on the by-line is that the attacker had mental health issues, ergo, it is not a gun problem.

Zero change to come from this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Right now this story is not listed at all on the RTE news website and is 13th from the top of the page on the BBC. 4 Dead, 10 injured and a close escape for others is no longer big news in the context of American gun violence and as a consequence there is no likelihood of change as a result of this specific event as you intimated OP.

Tellingly, it is leading on the Fox News Website but the slant on the by-line is that the attacker had mental health issues, ergo, it is not a gun problem.

Zero change to come from this.

And if it was a muslim and it happened in a big city it would be front page news worldwide :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

As discussed in other threads, gun control laws will, for the foreseeable future, never change in America, and possibly even if the opinion of the majority of American people wants it to change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    As discussed in other threads, gun control laws will, for the foreseeable future, never change in America, and possibly even if the opinion of the majority of American people wants it to change.

This.

It will never change, because it would take something away very dear to the hearts of many Americans and quite possibly defines them. The gun fanciers have a complete mental block on the issue.

It will never change, because it would take something away very dear to the hearts of many Americans and quite possibly defines them. The gun fanciers have a complete mental block on the issue.

It's a very complex matter, but minority groups have a hold on this one, and I'm not convinced majority rule will actually ever change it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭Christy42

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    California already has sone of the most restrictive gun purchase/accessibility laws in the US.

What happens if you head over to a different state and get a gun? Serious question, will they not sell to Californian residents (without following Californian law). Otherwise they can simply get the gun in a different state and walk over the border largely negating whatever California does.

I'm betting that onion article is going to go across my Facebook feed today. As others have said it is a pointless fight. America is unlikely to change anytime soon. Sandy Hook didn't do it and this won't either.

Where ever you live you have to live with the risk of crime. This risk will vary from area to area based on a number of factors and can change over time. The risk of mass shootings is simply something that has to be lived with as a cost of living in the US as nothing will change there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

You cant use logic with stupid people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

The term restrictive means nothing. They simply have to fill out an application for which gives them a background check and wait 10 days. Not exactly a challenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Christy42 wrote: »
    What happens if you head over to a different state and get a gun? Serious question, will they not sell to Californian residents (without following Californian law). Otherwise they can simply get the gun in a different state and walk over the border largely negating whatever California does.

I'm betting that onion article is going to go across my Facebook feed today. As others have said it is a pointless fight. America is unlikely to change anytime soon. Sandy Hook didn't do it and this won't either.

Where ever you live you have to live with the risk of crime. This risk will vary from area to area based on a number of factors and can change over time. The risk of mass shootings is simply something that has to be lived with as a cost of living in the US as nothing will change there.

If selling a gun to someone who is not resident in that state then they need to follow the rules of the state the person is resident in.

Bullet control is a solution. No need to change the constitute either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Source: CNN

Yet another shooting in the only country this happens regularly in. Guy tried to get into an elementary school, where it could have been another Sandy Hook.

Surely now is the time for gun control?

What difference does it make to us here in Ireland? Obviously the US have decided that their gun regulations are fit for purpose, that the vast number of their citizens being murdered are acceptable statistics. We can’t change that. The only people that can change that is the US public themselves.

It’s terribly sad to see innocent people murdered over there, but it’s been happening for so long now, and with such frequency that it’s all a bit ‘meh’.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

It’s really interesting that this always seems to happen in smaller towns or areas away from major metropolises.

I definitely think there is a big problem with isolation in the US and of course the overprescribing of medication.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Some real heroes in this story which prevented it from potentially being a second Sandy Hook type massacre, but still four dead which could rise with 10 more injured.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41991397
    A gunman who killed four people on Tuesday in rural California fired into an elementary school but was stopped from entering by teachers, police say.
    Staff at Rancho Tehama Reserve School went into lockdown, securing school doors after hearing nearby gunshots.

Authorities praised the teachers' actions as "monumental" in saving "countless" lives.

Police confirmed one child was shot at the school after the gunman fired into it. Others were hurt by broken glass.

Police later confronted the gunman in a stolen vehicle, shooting and killing him. He was named locally as 43-year-old Kevin Neal.

A semi-automatic rifle and two handguns were recovered from one of the crime scenes, police said. At least 10 people were injured in the shootings at multiple locations.

Police said he chose most of the victims at random, and reportedly shot into the school but became frustrated after the teachers' locked the doors and left after six minutes.

It is believed the school was alerted after a mother was shot at in her car while driving her children to school. She was reportedly seriously wounded but not killed.

Here's hoping a quick prayer will fix this. I mean it hasn't the last several hundred (thousand?) times, but if we all pray super extra hard this time, I'm sure it will be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

This is the third topic we've had on this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Threadz merged.

This is the third topic we've had on this.

Sorry there, missed that since the others seem to have slipped off the front page which didn't cross my mind since shooting and terrorism type threads tend to be by far the most active on AH! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Very tragic news but sadly all too common.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

It's been said many times by many others already, but if the laws weren't changed over a load of primary school children being gunned down in their classrooms, then they won't be changing any time soon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32 Vlad Kelly

Always surprises me when people call for the banning of firearms in the wake of a mass shooting. I'd be fully in favour of legalising concealed carry for firearms in Ireland, purely from a self defense point of view without even getting into the more profound argument of an armed populace defending itself against a tyrannical government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

America is shocked today from the latest shooting spree in the quiet town of (insert town name) in the state of (insert state name) when a gunman/gunmen (delete as appropriate) went on a rampage killing (insert number here) innocent victims at a school/church/public place. The American public reacted in horror at this, the worst shooting spree since (insert last shooting spree). President (insert surname of incumbent president here) speaking to the press said (something must be done about gun control/there must be a change in attitude to guns/this is a wake up call for America/why fckking bother saying anything). The NRA insisted that this was another isolated incident and had the victims in the school/church/public place themselves been armed then there would have been fewer casualties. Neighbours say the gunman/gunmen are/were quiet/unassuming/polite and kept to themselves and.....continue forever and ever and ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭Christy42

Vlad Kelly wrote: »
    Always surprises me when people call for the banning of firearms in the wake of a mass shooting. I'd be fully in favour of legalising concealed carry for firearms in Ireland, purely from a self defense point of view without even getting into the more profound argument of an armed populace defending itself against a tyrannical government.

It is a country with an obsession with guns and the 1st world country where these attacks keep happening. It makes it easier to keep checks on guns in the country and to apprehend those who should not have guns. Sure gangs end up managing to get guns but I would put money on them being far less heavily armed than their American equivalents. Also I reckon less lower rung criminals have guns here.

I would certainly not support concealed carry in Ireland. It would increase the odds of a gun being directed my way and I feel safer not being in a firefight than having a pistol in a firefight. Indeed if I am being held up at gun point I would generally prefer to hand over cash than to have some have a go hero try and save me. I have no faith in the accuracy of others or in stray bullets avoiding me.

The suggestion of an armed populace defending itself against a tyrannical government in this day and age is laughable. Look at how much money is punted into equipping and training the US army and think of how a citizens army would fair. Then think about the intellegence services and realise that the army is not even the biggest threat to such an uprising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

As crazy as it sounds, I'm actually starting to think more guns is the only solution. The law is not going to change any time soon over there, if ever, so the only option might be to arm staff in public places / employ armed guards etc. Even that is no assurance that innocent people won't be killed but it's better than a building full of unarmed staff and/or kids getting mown down with a fúcking machine gun.

What an insane country.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

The term restrictive means nothing. They simply have to fill out an application for which gives them a background check and wait 10 days. Not exactly a challenge.

Also restricts “assault weapons” and is one of the few states not to routinely grant concealed carry permits. Openly carrying a firearm is flat illegal. There may have been some other problems with the system not working given the man had been charged earlier this year with Assault with a Deadly Weapon for an attack on the woman he shot and had a restraining order against him. News articles (and it was top headline on CNN as well) do not state the disposition of the charge.

To answer Christy’s question, you generally need to have a State ID for the State in which you are purchasing the firearm. The loophole, which ought to be filled, is a private party transaction in a State which allows it. Thus although I work in Nevada (and am a Nevada State employee) I live in California, have California ID, and cannot purchase a firearm here in Nevada.

valoren wrote: »
    President (insert surname of incumbent president here) speaking to the press said (something must be done about gun control/there must be a change in attitude to guns/this is a wake up call for America/why fckking bother saying anything).
    Not this president, he might even call the shooter 'a fine person'.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Not this president, he might even call the shooter 'a fine person'.

'a good guy' is the term, i believe these days

Advertisement