Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless alarm for parents in the country

Options
  • 15-11-2017 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭

After hearing about recent break ins etc in rural Ireland i think its time i got my parents an alarm.
    They live in the country with the nearest house about 1km away.
    I was thinking of going with a monitored wireless system.
    I have a self monitored HKC alarm in Dublin and find it to be very good.
    Would people advise to go for a monitored alarm in the country or would a self monitored one do? what are peoples thoughts on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

For peace of mind I would recommend professional monitoring, self notification of an alarm and then ringing the local Garda station does not get the same response as the professional monitoring station.
    For example, every monitored system has to be certified to EN50131, once appropriate paperwork is complete, it goes from the Installer to the Monitoring Station with an application for a special identification number that the Regional Garda HQ designate for it.
    Therefore if done the correct way and dependent upon Garda resources at the time of a confirmed Intruder Alarm or Panic Alarm activation, you can be sure that The Gardai will respond to the activation.
    Go with a perimeter type system and get at least 3 written quotations from PSA licensed installers.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

pclive wrote: »
    After hearing about recent break ins etc in rural Ireland i think its time i got my parents an alarm.
    Would people advise to go for a monitored alarm in the country or would a self monitored one do? what are peoples thoughts on this?

Ideally I would go with both central station monitoring & self monitoring.
    Remember Gardai may only respond to verified alarms /Panic alarms.
    If notifications are going to family & friends nearby that would help also.
    If you are goinf with self monitoring its worthwhile looking at the sticky here. There is quite a lot of differences between systems & even between installation companies.
    As always shop around and get a few quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

pclive wrote: »

For Garda response you would need a monitored alarm system. With a monitored alarm you could also have smoke and emergency devices connected for a quicker response.

Advertisement