Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parent & Infant Showings in cinemas

Options
  • 15-11-2017 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭

I asked this in the film forum, but I realise that this forum may have more answers:

I know that Movies@Dundrum have parent and baby showings, but only weekday mornings. Do any other Dublin cinemas have parent and baby showings and do any of them have them on the weekends or evenings?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Julo12

Movies @ swords do them too as do a few of the Odeons but only mid week mornings too. I think the Lighthouse might do one on Saturdays? I might be imagining it but I thought I saw it on their website a while ago

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Odeon@Point Village does for sure, an early trip to the cinema one day had me surrounded with buggys, babies & chatty mums! :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

This interests me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Pretty sure all Odean do them, branded as 'newbies' showings.
    Never heard of them done in evening and weekday slots though. I guess they hadn't thought there would be a market for it then?

Maybe here's an idea - I think there's an outdoor 'drive thru' cinema experience in Leopardstown racecourse opening soon.
    That may be one way to bring the little one without a baby sitter! :D
    More info here https://www.retrodrivein.ie/movies

• Registered Users Posts: 35 bonnie_

The Lighthouse cinema in Smithfield do this on Wed & Sat mornings. Lovely cinema with nice cafe also. https://lighthousecinema.ie/about/our-programme/parent-and-baby/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Dadzilla

I’ve never been to one of these screenings and I really miss the cinema as I’m a die hard movie buff. How does it work? No one bats an eyelid if your baby is cranky during a screening?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Harika

Dadzilla wrote: »
    I’ve never been to one of these screenings and I really miss the cinema as I’m a die hard movie buff. How does it work? No one bats an eyelid if your baby is cranky during a screening?

Lights are not fully out, volume is turned down and as you are surrounded by parents who are in the same boat as you, no one bats an eyelid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭appledrop

Yep most cinemas do them always week day morning. Good time for cinema as quiet otherwise. I found them brilliant. Some days babs would nap through most others might cry a bit. Always a few parents walking around at the back soothing the few criers!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Would love to go to one of these at the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Thanks for all of your replies!

The drive-in whiskeyman suggested is a nice idea, not show how comfortable it would be to sit in a car in the cold (and therefore engine running) with a young baby though :D. Hopefully it's still around in the summer.

From everyones suggestions and my own searches it looks like baby friendly showings are as follows:

Movies@Swords/Dundrum - Tues/Wed/Thurs 10.45
    No weekend slot, but a good selection (Murder on Orient Express, Paddington 2, Thor Ragnarok and Killing of Sacred Deer all scheduled at the moment).
    Does not run during school breaks/xmas!

Odeon - Tues/Thurs Various Times
    Weekdays only, only 1/2 showings per week.

Lighthouse Cinema - Wed/Sat 11.30

Weekend slot, but smaller selection (however has advanced booking for Star Wars 8 on Sat 16th December)

It's a pity Omniplex cinemas dont do them (they allow babies, but don't have special screenings), Rathmines Omniplex is within walking distance from me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement