Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amazon Black Friday / Cyber Monday 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

rawn wrote: »
    Is this a good monitor for the price? I'm looking to get a gaming monitor for my husband, he would play a lot of high graphic games (PC)

ASUS VP278H 27 inch FHD 1920 x 1080 Gaming Monitor (1 ms, HDMI, D-Sub, Low Blue Light, Flicker Free, TUV Certified) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B016AWBO2E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_6u.gAb064Z8G8

Or

Acer GN246HLBbid 24 inch Wide FHD LED Gaming Monitor with 144 Hz, 1 ms, 350 nits, DVI, HDMI, Acer EcoDisplay - Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00IG0Z0HY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_RMahAbBM1ZB24

The specs are gibberish to me but one of the reviews i read said 27in is a waste and 24in would be perfect?

That advice came from someone with a 24in monitor!

Bigger is better when it comes to screens, especially if the specs don't suffer too much. Both look good. Response time of 1ms on both. He'll be happy with that. If not, PM me and I'll have it. Thanks. :)

...Actually isn't it annoying that PC monitor resolutions seem to have gone backwards/ settled on "1080P" while even little mobile phones are up to 4K!? Yes you can get 4K monitors too, but at a hefty price. Anything other than 1920 x 1080 is considered "professional level". Pooey!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Bigger is better when it comes to screens, especially if the specs don't suffer too much. Both look good. Response time of 1ms on both. He'll be happy with that. If not, PM me and I'll have it. Thanks.

Thank you! Much appreciated :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭littelady

You aren't getting a laptop that can play anything much more than facebook games at that budget.
    I thought as much. Cheers 😊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

littelady wrote: »
    HI boardsies,
    I am looking forather gaming laptop max €200 I'm probably deluded.....please help I haventh a clue pres sie Dorset hubby...I don't mind reconditioned thanks

you're not deluded just not aware of what you need
    unfortunately you wouldn't even get a decent laptop for that unless going second hand never mind a gaming laptop
    Due to the nature of laptops gaming parts have to be made smaller and able to get rid of a lot of heat so you end up paying more for a gaming laptop to get the same as a gaming desktop
    So to get anything decent that would play modern games you would need to spend about €900 minimum new so I would advise getting a console if he doesn't have one already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

pah wrote: »
    +1

Bought a 2 yr old Alienware for €850 that the original buyer paid close to €2k for and he had put another few hundred into extra RAM & SSD. I've since upgraded the SSD to a higher capacity. Great value out there if you know what to watch out for.

I went the other way - got ex-corporate laptops (they tend to be treated well) - highly specc'ed i7, magnesium chassis, with all the bells and whistles of top tier latitudes (instead of consumer focused inspirons) - trackpoint, water resistant backlit keyboard, hardware volume, wifi switches, expansion slot for 2nd ssd etc. You can't get close to that spending €330 for a new laptop and mine looks like new.

And since someone else has taken the biggest depreciation hit already you won't be looking at much of a "loss" when you sell the laptop on.

Anyway, back on topic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Any recommendations for a 4G router for use with a 3 pre-paid simcard? Need a quick fix for my parents terrible broadband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Zardoz wrote: »
    Will this mouse actually perform like a wired mouse ?
    I've tried a good few Logitech and Microsoft wireless wifi mice over the last few months and most of them have ended up getting flung off the wall as they have a mind of their own.
    If a page has Flash on it it tends to go berserk .
    Bluetooth might be better .

I have 2 of these, You can use it plugged in via the supplied USB cable, you can also use the dongle or if your computer has bluetooth you can use that too.

Great mouse BTW and at that price, you really cant go wrong... I just sold a previous generation of this mouse and it made more second hand than this price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

littelady wrote: »
    I thought as much. Cheers ��
    the corpo wrote: »
    Hey, could you point me in the direction of someone reliable selling ex-corporate laptops? or PM. ta!

Have a look at the Argos.ie Black Friday deals. Quite a number of lappies on offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭adm

Any recommendations for a 4G router for use with a 3 pre-paid simcard? Need a quick fix for my parents terrible broadband.

OT I know but:

3 broadband has gone to s**t in the evening. I abandoned it. So while a router and external antenna will give you good speeds during the day it will still be terrible in the evening - they are actively traffic shaping.

That was my experience recently. I switched to eir.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭pawrick

I have 2 of these, You can use it plugged in via the supplied USB cable, you can also use the dongle or if your computer has bluetooth you can use that too.

Great mouse BTW and at that price, you really cant go wrong... I just sold a previous generation of this mouse and it made more second hand than this price.

I have to agree, I bought the "go anywhere" version a few months ago (also on offer), it's very solid and compares very well to other types I've used. If I was to go again though I'd go for the master version for more comfort when using for long periods.
    One issue I had in the past is with all wireless mice i tried was signal block from the TV I was using as a monitor. I used a usb extension cable to connect the dongle and get around that problem literally.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Anywhere-Wireless-Bluetooth-Windows/dp/B0761YPDNM/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1511797654&sr=1-2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭mgadget

Three have a Huawei model for prepay . I use an older Huawei model with Eir and am fairly happy with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Thirdfox wrote: »
    I went the other way - got ex-corporate laptops (they tend to be treated well) - highly specc'ed i7, magnesium chassis, with all the bells and whistles of top tier latitudes (instead of consumer focused inspirons) - trackpoint, water resistant backlit keyboard, hardware volume, wifi switches, expansion slot for 2nd ssd etc. You can't get close to that spending €330 for a new laptop and mine looks like new.

And since someone else has taken the biggest depreciation hit already you won't be looking at much of a "loss" when you sell the laptop on.

Anyway, back on topic!

I’ll take a pm as well if there’s a few for sale

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

the corpo wrote: »
    Hey, could you point me in the direction of someone reliable selling ex-corporate laptops? or PM. ta!

I had seen a few Dell Latitudes going on sale on Adverts.ie couple of weeks ago around € 500-600 mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭mikeysmith

There's a good deal on a Meaco 20L compressor type dehumidifier in the warehouse with the 20% off

I decided not to bother ,the money is better spent on proper mechanical extraction in the kitchen and bathrooms among other things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    Its garbage hence the price and the retailer who sells it.

It's a mouse, it moves the cursor and clicks. Not sure what else you want from a mouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

naughto wrote: »
    I’ll take a pm as well if there’s a few for sale

High Spec Dell, but it's for 700

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭Zardoz

It's a mouse, it moves the cursor and clicks. Not sure what else you want from a mouse.

Wireless mice have lag and performance issues that wired mice do not have.
    Battery life is also an issue.
    If you spend alot of time on a pc each day you want a decent mouse .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Zardoz wrote: »
    Wireless mice have lag and performance issues that wired mice do not have.

About 2 years ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Hopefully this might help others who have been experiencing difficulty with getting free delivery from Amazon on items over £25.....especially if they have Prime membership.

I was trying to place an order for 5 different items that came to a total of £25.12. All items were being sold and fulfilled by Amazon. When I went to check out there was no option for free delivery and a £6 delivery charge was being applied. Went to live chat and got nowhere there as the rep said I had to pay for delivery to here. He wasnt even aware of the "free over £25 delivery" option

I then requested a call back and a different rep went through the order process with me and while we couldnt get the free delivery option to work he applied £6 credit which cancelled out the delivery cost. His conclusion was that the Prime membership was automatically cancelling the free delivery option which made sense as Prime members cant avail of free or reduced delivery costs in Ireland. Prime membership seems to have little or no benefits to anyone in Ireland unless they use a UK card.

So if any of you are Prime members and are having trouble getting free delivery on orders over £25 then you need to request a call back or maybe sort it by live chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭huddlejonny

Dremel 3000 from Amazon Warehouse @ £20.87 - 1 used available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

These Amazon Black Friday/Cyber Monday have been pretty crap tbf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

7" Amazon Fire seems like good value at €35 from Currys. Yes, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

its about €28 €34 euro direct from Amazon.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

muffler wrote: »
    ...His conclusion was that the Prime membership was automatically cancelling the free delivery option which made sense as Prime members cant avail of free or reduced delivery costs in Ireland. Prime membership seems to have little or no benefits to anyone in Ireland unless they use a UK card...

I'm a Prime member and have got plenty of >£25 free delivery orders this last week or so, I always get it over the £25 for the free delivery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭septicsac

its about €28 euro direct from Amazon.
    Think it is 29.99£ cheapest on amazon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

septicsac wrote: »
    Think it is 29.99£ cheapest on amazon

Sorry you're right. For some reason I thought it was £25.

So it's about €34 to your door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Ardent

mad m wrote: »

Yes, very good actually. Bought for the missus' car and it's fantastic. Drops a frame here and there but otherwise excellent. Grab a 32gb card in the sale as well while you're at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭p15574

slave1 wrote: »
    I'm a Prime member and have got plenty of >£25 free delivery orders this last week or so, I always get it over the £25 for the free delivery

I was having difficulties with this too until I noticed that it was defaulting to "standard" delivery instead of the free one. It seems to then "lose" the Cyber Monday discount until I figured out that while the items were listed as full price in the basket, the "discount" listed in the total included the reduction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭Gun Monkey

Have a look on ebay for huawei b593. They are available now for small money, i see a polish seller on there selling factory refurbished new units for €50 + postage. You can put your prepay sim into it and decide if 4g suits your requirements for very little cash outlay and you can always get your money back by putting it on adverts if it doesnt work out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭ablelocks

is there any way to just see the time limited deals on their own?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 784 ✭✭✭editorsean

ablelocks wrote: »
    is there any way to just see the time limited deals on their own?
    Yes, click "Lightning Deals" in the left menu:

eGu1zct.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

pawrick wrote: »
    I have to agree, I bought the "go anywhere" version a few months ago (also on offer), it's very solid and compares very well to other types I've used. If I was to go again though I'd go for the master version for more comfort when using for long periods.
    One issue I had in the past is with all wireless mice i tried was signal block from the TV I was using as a monitor. I used a usb extension cable to connect the dongle and get around that problem literally.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Anywhere-Wireless-Bluetooth-Windows/dp/B0761YPDNM/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1511797654&sr=1-2

I use mine in an office with at least another 20-30 of the same device working at the same time and never have an signal issues at all.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I use mine in an office with at least another 20-30 of the same device working at the same time and never have an signal issues at all.

No prizes for guessing where you work then! :D

mikeysmith wrote: »
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thunder-Portable-Bluetooth-Speakers-Wireless-Silver/dp/B01KVHG5UK/ref=gbps_tit_m-8_74b1_d30b

£20 just bought one

Probably nothing different than all the others in that price range

this is pretty decent actually. well worth £20 delivered to ireland.
    good 360 sound for the size of it. seems close to adertised 15w
    the vibration thing actually does add a mini bass/sub-woofer effect when you have it on something flat. a book works well.
    only con for me is that the top ring in the middle flashes continuously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

its about €28 €34 euro direct from Amazon.

^Deal of the week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Speaking of the Kindle Fire etc

It might be easier to get the Ads removed if you're buying the device from Amazon. I got 2 yesterday and wanted the Ads removed to just asked on Chat and the agent reminded me it's normally £10 each device but removed them as a gesture of goodwill. I'd say entire chat was 3-4 minutes.

Might be harder presenting a device from Currys or Argos or wherever and asking for something for nothing. I was ready with my "what do you mean special offers, I thought the price was the special offer argument" but that wasn't even needed, I just mentioned they were for kids and I wanted to know how to hide the Adverts asking us to buy coins for a game.(on unlock screen)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

If you've been waiting for good ones to come down in price here you go.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Huawei-Watch-Bluetooth-Smartwatch-Android-Black/dp/B06Y67D8KY

£179.99

€30 in Argos this morning. Must be ordered for home delivery. Cant bring myself to grab one myself but might suit someone. Worth a try!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

€30 in Argos this morning. Must be ordered for home delivery. Cant bring myself to grab one myself but might suit someone. Worth a try!

Would they cancel it if you order it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

out of stock when I finally managed to fill in the details

Edit: got the smart sport version ordered, thanks OP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,161 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

out of stock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Didn't want one anyway....sob

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I got one of these guys as part of a 8 piece order.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004AQY14Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cost £2.80 and just decided to track it as it's shipping separately, shipping DHL and so far has gone from Madrid to Barcelona and en route.....:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

Tried to order for delivery but says out of stock.

everlast75 wrote: »
    out of stock
    Didn't want one anyway....sob
    mad m wrote: »
    Tried to order for delivery but says out of stock.

Try the smart sport version, I managed to order and my revolut was charged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭geotrig

try the other one ,sport version !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

Shows out of stock once you sign in/register and take it to the payment process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

That Argos has to be a mis price. Doubt it will be honoured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭bren2001

sweetie wrote: »
    Try the smart sport version, I managed to order and my revolut was charged.

Ordered one there. What chances dyou reckon we'll get it? 0.000000001%?

• Advertisement

this is the one I bought
    bren2001 wrote: »
    Ordered one there. What chances dyou reckon we'll get it? 0.000000001%?

MMm, dunno, money was taken and confirmation email received so...50/50?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement