Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance after crash

Options
  • 15-11-2017 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi, looking for some advice. I crashed into another car, and insurance company has settled claim for my car as its an economic write off (just waiting on chq). I have put deposit on new car and broker is saying that there is another claim on my insurance. My insurance is due for renewal on 27 Nov. but other claim will not be settled by then. Therefore, no other company will quote me for insurance, i will have to go to existing company. They are now quoting over €2,400 to insure me (it was €600 last year).
    I cannot afford this, and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Who was at fault for the crash?

How many outstanding claims do you have in total? 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Geranium40

I crashed into car in front that was stopped but had no break lights on. He then hit car in front that was turning right (no damage to first car). Insurance company now saying there may be personal injury claim.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Brake lights. I think you may have a big issue unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

There is a unsettled 3rd party claim.

Geranium40 wrote: »
    They are now quoting over €2,400 to insure me (it was €600 last year). I cannot afford this, and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Nothing you can do really. And in fairness in your circumstances €2400 is not that bad right now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

Maybe you could pick up a 50cc moped to get you through until the insurance is sorted out. (you can ride them on a standard car licence)

waraf wrote: »
    Maybe you could pick up a 50cc moped to get you through until the insurance is sorted out. (you can ride them on a standard car licence)

And still need insurance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,329 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Only if you have the moped class on your licence. They stopped giving that automatically in 2013 afaik.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Geranium40

Great idea, but unfortunately I live 8 miles from a town, have children and need a car :(

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Time to get started on your Taxsaver bus pass.

• Advertisement
Advertisement