Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zwifting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

The Road Feel on the Neo, scared the Dogs on my last ride on the cobbles and rough surface on top of the Radio tower.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

In was an old tester too and am thinking of rejoining. Thing i i see its cheaper via sterling registered as UK than it is from Ireland, any of ye paying that way? Have a revolut card and VPN so thinking of that route!

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

Anyone running Zwift on AppleTV? Sick of trainer roads crap integration of custom workouts, a refurbed 4th Gen AppleTV is €140. Seems a no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

Anyone running Zwift on AppleTV? Sick of trainer roads crap integration of custom workouts, a refurbed 4th Gen AppleTV is €140. Seems a no brainer.

I use apple tv and it works well. You can pair your phone and use zwift mobile link so you don't need to use the crap remote for route changes/ride on's etc.

Apple TV is probably the cheapest way to get into it. I got a 4k apple tv for 179 in compub on black friday. There is talk that zwift will turn up the settings on the 4k box so might make it the better option in future but they have little difference now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Have not ridden a bike or ran in several weeks. Went to do a turbo session on Saturday (miserable outside and was pressed for time as usual lately) only to have my laptop tell me my mini usb ant+ thing had malfunctioned. Cue several attempts to get it to work (read take it out and put it in again repeatedly and try another laptop) to no avail. Feck this it's only a few months old. Email to CRC for a warranty replacement. Processed this morning except by refund with vouchers as it is out of stock! Grrr! Ordered two on Amazon with delivery from 14th Dec - 11th Jan! Double grr! I just can't get the time to get out these days and this has just destroyed my cycling morale!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Have not ridden a bike or ran in several weeks. Went to do a turbo session on Saturday (miserable outside and was pressed for time as usual lately) only to have my laptop tell me my mini usb ant+ thing had malfunctioned. Cue several attempts to get it to work (read take it out and put it in again repeatedly and try another laptop) to no avail. Feck this it's only a few months old. Email to CRC for a warranty replacement. Processed this morning except by refund with vouchers as it is out of stock! Grrr! Ordered two on Amazon with delivery from 14th Dec - 11th Jan! Double grr! I just can't get the time to get out these days and this has just destroyed my cycling morale!

Feck Zwift.... CTXC videos on YouTube rock... there’s a 45 minute and a 60 minute one both can induce vomitting!!
    I’ve an ant + dongle I’m not using... cound send it to u till u get sorted?(I’m down south)

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Feck Zwift.... CTXC videos on YouTube rock... there’s a 45 minute and a 60 minute one both can induce vomitting!!
    I’ve an ant + dongle I’m not using... cound send it to u till u get sorted?(I’m down south)

That would be mighty kind of you! Very decent of you to offer. I'd really appreciate the use of it until my replacements arrive. I'll send you a PM with my details.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

How does a race work in Zwift? Are they measuring everyone's reported power output or something? And if so what if there is a mix of cyclists , some with and without a power meter?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

jon1981 wrote: »
    How does a race work in Zwift? Are they measuring everyone's reported power output or something? And if so what if there is a mix of cyclists , some with and without a power meter?

Exactly... and each individuals weight is considered giving a W/kg figure... drafting etc is taken linto account. Those without a power meter use what they refer to as Z power... basically they have power profiled a lot of dumb trainers and they can calculate relatively accurately your power output based on the speed of your back wheel. (They tell you what to set the resistance at)
    Marty.

They do look for real life data if your numbers are questionable.

Flat out and full gas from start to finish. A shock to the system at this time of year, not really reflective of real life but a real good suffer session.

Edit: you pick which cat you want to race in.

• Advertisement

I have a kickr snap with erg mode, only ever used trainer road, might give Zwift a go!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Have done two races this past week and they are serious suffer fests! 97% intensity today for 48mins, really close feeling to a hard race. I find im at about 90% just hanging in the bunch! Any climb etc and people go berserk at 5-6W/kg+ for long enough periods. Almost got sick when i finished tonight!

Out of interest, what trainers are folks using.. seen a few mentioned ... anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

Out of interest, what trainers are folks using.. seen a few mentioned ... anymore?

Tacx t2180 smart

Bambaata wrote: »
    Have done two races this past week and they are serious suffer fests! 97% intensity today for 48mins, really close feeling to a hard race. I find im at about 90% just hanging in the bunch! Any climb etc and people go berserk at 5-6W/kg+ for long enough periods. Almost got sick when i finished tonight!

I tried a full blast from the off the last time I raced just to see what happened. I was at 7 - 8 w/kg for approx 30 secs or so. I steadied down and was promptly passed by the group very quickly. I don't get these races. They are pure madness. I'll keep doing them but they are different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

I'm just working my way through an 8 week program, haven't raced yet. On a Neo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

I used the Mobile Link on android last night for the first time. Very handy for pausing the workout, in fact I believe it's the only way? Also great for taking turns...

I've got Spotify playing on the same laptop and I can control spotify from my phone so I'm sorted, no reason to touch the laptop now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

I tried a full blast from the off the last time I raced just to see what happened. I was at 7 - 8 w/kg for approx 30 secs or so. I steadied down and was promptly passed by the group very quickly. I don't get these races. They are pure madness. I'll keep doing them but they are different.

Check into the correct Category, understand the first 2-5km will be all out effort to stay with the bunch. After that it settles down. Anyone who pushes on will be UPG'd or Disqualified. Register with Zwiftpower for correct race results.

A couple of races especially last nights WBR (C) I thought with 5k to go I was holding ok in a 15man group. Now holding I mean begging at the tail end of it on threshold.
    With 500m to go I ceremoniously couldnt hold the wheel.Figured ok need more training, too early to worry about end speed just yet.
    Zwift power disqualified top ten for incorrect Category or dodgy figures ie no HRM etc. Corrected my position to 5th.

Point is, stick with the racing....have a bucket nearby too. Its some training :D

Check into the correct Category, understand the first 2-5km will be all out effort to stay with the bunch. After that it settles down. Anyone who pushes on will be UPG'd or Disqualified. Register with Zwiftpower for correct race results.

A couple of races especially last nights WBR (C) I thought with 5k to go I was holding ok in a 15man group. Now holding I mean begging at the tail end of it on threshold.
    With 500m to go I ceremoniously couldnt hold the wheel.Figured ok need more training, too early to worry about end speed just yet.
    Zwift power disqualified top ten for incorrect Category or dodgy figures ie no HRM etc. Corrected my position to 5th.

Point is, stick with the racing....have a bucket nearby too. Its some training :D

Oh yea I know but it really is literally a case of hanging on for dear life until the elastic goes or you barf!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Is there a free trial period that you can avail of before committing to a monthly fee?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭py

dahat wrote: »
    Is there a free trial period that you can avail of before committing to a monthly fee?

I believe it's a 7 day trial. I've also heard it's 7 days or 50Km. I purchased my subscription before either of them were going to expire. Happy out with it. Gives me a lot of different options for indoor cycling and also keeps me engaged.

You can cancel at any time too iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭py

You can cancel at any time too iirc.

Yup it's a month to month subscription, not billed/subbed annually.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭rxchxy

py wrote: »
    I believe it's a 7 day trial. I've also heard it's 7 days or 50Km. I purchased my subscription before either of them were going to expire. Happy out with it. Gives me a lot of different options for indoor cycling and also keeps me engaged.

I started the free trial on Sunday, it appears to be a 7 day trial as I've passed the 50 km mark and its still working for me.

I'm using Zwift as winter training for Ironman 70.3 in Dublin next year. Quite a challenging route so I need to get faster up the hills. At the moment I'm just doing a 4 week FTB booster plan but I'm not sure if this is the best workout for what I want/need. Any workout suggestions that can help me?

@martyc5674 package received today and used this evening. You sir, are a gent!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

anyone using a wattbike trainer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

32bit laptop so Zwift is out for me unless i cN locate an Apple TV at a decent price at some stage.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

dahat wrote: »
    32bit laptop so Zwift is out for me unless i cN locate an Apple TV at a decent price at some stage.

You could try BigRingVR which is in beta at the moment and free until Jan 2018 and available for 32 bit pcs

Its video recordings of famous climbs.

There's also the Chinese Zwift - OneLap which is also free but nearly entirely in chinese.

Lastly there is RoadGrandTours. Something that is a cross between Zwift and BigRingVR. It does virtual versions of famous routes I think, Again it's in Open Beta at the moment and free for a while.

I've installed them all, but yet to try them. They'll get a go over the weekend as my shoulder isn't getting better with rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

Posting here rather than starting a new thread...

Are there any promo codes available anywhere for zwift at the moment ?
    I setup a friend recently and his 7 day trial will be up before he gets to have a 2nd ride :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭positron

I am in similar position. I had one go where I attempted to pair the Elite Nivo and without Ant+ dongle, connecting over MobileLink using phones Bluetooth, it would only come up as power meter and not full smart trainer. Zwift was doable but no resistance, just spinning like crazy to go uphill etc.

I bought Ant+ dongle etc, which was delivered yesterday but Zwift trial is over. Someone in Zwift forum suggested contacting Zwift customer support, they often extend the trial period it seems.

Advertisement