Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post - Can they deliver straight to the Depot?

Options
  • 15-11-2017 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, please move if so. I order a lot of stuff online, lots of large parcels too, stuff that wouldn't fit in the letterbox. The postman knocks next door if there's nobody in mine (there usually isn't, I'm at work) and the elderly lady next door takes it. But I don't want to bother her with this. The depot is only around the corner so I was wondering is it possible for an post to deliver straight to the Depot if it doesn't fit in the letterbox?

I looked at the large box you can install but I don't have anywhere suitable to install it.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Hey all,

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, please move if so. I order a lot of stuff online, lots of large parcels too, stuff that wouldn't fit in the letterbox. The postman knocks next door if there's nobody in mine (there usually isn't, I'm at work) and the elderly lady next door takes it. But I don't want to bother her with this. The depot is only around the corner so I was wondering is it possible for an post to deliver straight to the Depot if it doesn't fit in the letterbox?

I looked at the large box you can install but I don't have anywhere suitable to install it.

All you can do is ask your local office. I asked mine and they said no, even though it was to help them out when I was on holidays for 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

No. There is a legal obligation to deliver as addressed. You could apply for Mailminder or redirection but this applies to all mail plus in the back of my.mind (I used to write this stuff) parcels aren't included.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Madness. Is there a reason why someone out there hasn't set up a business that takes parcels as delivery and is open to the public till something like midnight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

Madness. Is there a reason why someone out there hasn't set up a business that takes parcels as delivery and is open to the public till something like midnight?

Parcel motel?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

My postman never delivers it next door, it goes back to the local An Post depot and I collect it.

For €3.95 per delivery you can use Parcel Motel, this has the advantage that you can collect 24 x 7, within 48 hours of getting a notification (e-mail and/or SMS) that your parcel has been store in your nominated collection point.

www.parcelmotel.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

amtc wrote: »
    No. There is a legal obligation to deliver as addressed. You could apply for Mailminder or redirection but this applies to all mail plus in the back of my.mind (I used to write this stuff) parcels aren't included.

Does that apply to CP too?

AP probably want to you to pay for their Mail Minder service to get this.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,994 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You can use AddressPal to get it delivered to your nearest post office

Del2005 wrote: »
    You can use AddressPal to get it delivered to your nearest post office

Which doesnt suit 90% of the working populace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

ED E wrote: »

But is exactly what the OP is asking for, surely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

amtc wrote: »

Incorrect now.

Since earlier this year that does not apply to packets or parcels only letter post.

Irish online stores using an post should be able to automatically notify recipients by text or email through the Anpost system of tracking number and a link for redelivery if you wish.

They also have plans for an Irish address pal address system that will allow you nominate a post office or other collection point but I think this is still a few months away.

Also, they now do Saturday and evening deliveries and all dsu's are open til 7pm Monday to Friday

• Advertisement

But is exactly what the OP is asking for, surely.

Nope. Slight difference.

Delivery Unit = Packages only. No queue of DSFW clients/pensioners. Opens nicer hours (7-7 instead of 9-5 for me).

Address Pal only goes to POs. If you leave the office at 5.30 you've already missed the PO but can easily make the DU.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

tell you neighbor not to take this item,it will be left in the office for collection by you?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

I use AddressPal for this; PO open Sat am

• Registered Users Posts: 40,458 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

tell the delivery office that your neighbours are not authorised to accept deliveries on your behalf. they will leave a slip in the door if you are not in.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,994 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

ED E wrote: »

The OP doesn't want delivery to their home so this could be a viable alternative. Parcel Motel is another. But because they asked about An Post I gave the An Post option.

I do agree that it's not suitable for most people but it's an option that could be for some, so don't dismiss it because it doesn't suit you or me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

I use Parcel Motel but didn't think it was suitable for larger packages. Looking at their site now, this doesn't seem to be the case.

Looking at Address Pal, as mentioned above, looks like it only delivers to a Post Office which is a shame as the depot is a stone's throw away from me.

I'll start using Parcel Motel again, didn't know they had bigger boxes on their collection points. Thanks for all the help guys.

Advertisement