Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want a Motorbike need a Scooter - this ever happen to you?

Options
  • 15-11-2017 2:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭

I have a short commute to work, only about 5km but it's business attire so I have to wear a suit. The scooters are better because I can get an apron, helmet under the seat etc. I know I can get the wet gear for a motorbike but putting everything on for a 10 minute drive and then somewhere to store all the gear, not practical.

I used to drive motorbikes when my commutes were longer and prefer driving a motorbike over a scooter. Has anyone else ever had this predicament?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,988 ✭✭✭✭GBX

What about getting a bike with luggage carrying your suit or leaving a change of clothes in work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

GBX wrote: »
    What about getting a bike with luggage carrying your suit or leaving a change of clothes in work?

The Suit gets wrecked and nowhere to change. Again, the dressing and undressing for a short journey is not ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,988 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Get one of each so. Scooter for the commute and a bike to sort the urge for a decent spin.

GBX wrote: »
    Get one of each so. Scooter for the commute and a bike to sort the urge for a decent spin.

Good idea, a GS for the wild Atlantic way once every 5 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,087 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

A scooter would be great, but TBH I don't think the internal combustion engine has much of a future for this sort of usage.

For a 5km in a suit you could use an e-bike with mudguards and a chain case. An effortless 25kph and you get to use mandatory cycle lanes.

They're not much cheaper than scooters but no insurance, tax, helmet or training requirements (although I'm guessing you have the license already).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I just googled it and my commute is all of.......... 6.4km. On sunny days, or when I don't have the school run, I bring the H-D. But you're right, it nearly takes longer to gear up & down than to ride it.

I do have, although it's currently FUBAR, a 500cc scooter, and I'm definately going to upgrade. I think an xMax 300 or similar - I'd like a tMax 530, but they're a bit pricey.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

I have a short commute to work, only about 5km but it's business attire so I have to wear a suit. The scooters are better because I can get an apron, helmet under the seat etc. I know I can get the wet gear for a motorbike but putting everything on for a 10 minute drive and then somewhere to store all the gear, not practical.

I used to drive motorbikes when my commutes were longer and prefer driving a motorbike over a scooter. Has anyone else ever had this predicament?

You probably know this allready,but.........................

Keep a fresh suit in work and wear protective gear for biking.

Better to be putting on a suit in 5 minutes in work then scraping your broken ass up of the ground and going to AnE with broken bones or worse.

Burgman 250 or 400,cheap to buy,cheap to run and great petrol milage from them.

Loads of space under the seat too.

I have a 400,and its fecking well nippy indeed,love mine.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,994 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Buy trousers slightly too large and wear over your suit trousers, jacket can be folded into a backpack to not crease. Had a friend commute into work for years doing this. You can still get serious injuries coming off a scooter so you'll need PPE regardless

Burgman is nice. So is the X max.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Sh!teinabucket

Suprised you don't have 2 of them...😂

Suprised you don't have 2 of them...��

Ah here,dont bleedin start that over here......:eek::pac::P:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Sh!teinabucket

Ha Ha,I'll say no more.your secrect identity shall remain just that mister Kent.

(Twigged the scoot from the asylum,couldnt help myself.)

Ha Ha,I'll say no more.your secrect identity shall remain just that mister Kent.

(Twigged the scoot from the asylum,couldnt help myself.)

On with the fake black tan and dreadlocks now.:pac::P

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Realgonekid

I have a 2002 250 Majesty for the short trip to work and a 2017 BMW XR for the weekend and some longer journeys during the week.

The scoot is perfect for the commute and a bit more fun for that type of journey if i'm honest.

Advertisement