Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to survive winter dark evenings with kids?

Options
  • 15-11-2017 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭

We are all really suffering in our house because of dark evenings. What do you do to keep your kids active and entertained?

My kids have about an hour and a half or so each evening when we all get home before getting ready for bed and a lot of this was playing outside either in the park or on the trampoline or in the sandpit or on their bikes in the garden. They also used to have a few minutes outside in the morning too but it is too dark and damp then as well.

I could possibly find a way to light up the garden but I am not sure how but also there is the problem of the dewy damp grass and trampoline etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Weyhey wrote: »
    We are all really suffering in our house because of dark evenings. What do you do to keep your kids active and entertained?

My kids have about an hour and a half or so each evening when we all get home before getting ready for bed and a lot of this was playing outside either in the park or on the trampoline or in the sandpit or on their bikes in the garden. They also used to have a few minutes outside in the morning too but it is too dark and damp then as well.

I could possibly find a way to light up the garden but I am not sure how but also there is the problem of the dewy damp grass and trampoline etc.

Wellies and water proof clothes are your solution to the wet and damp grass. The waterproof clothes go on over my child's ordinary clothes. They are especially handy with the trampoline.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Weyhey

Wellies and water proof clothes are your solution to the wet and damp grass. The waterproof clothes go on over my child's ordinary clothes. They are especially handy with the trampoline.

Pure genius and makes so much sense - thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

Had something similar with my nephew and niece for a fortnight.

I got a couple of good jigsaws, 1000 and then 2500 pieces. Scenes were comic scenes of a town with every piece having something going on. Kept them busy and quiet for several evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭NeonCookies

Not a parent but grew up in the countryside where it was pitch black so no chance of any outdoor play. I second jigsaws. Other board games too, we also went through phases of marbles and jacks etc. One game we used to LOVE was pretending we were going "exploring" in a dark cave aka every room of the house that our parents weren't in. We'd gather torches, snacks, "equipment" in bags and off we went, we'd make up stories of what we came across... that's made me feel nostalgic!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I give my son a torch and ask him to help find the poo when walking the dogs.

But entertaining a kid indoors isn't something I thought to be trivial. Get them something they can make, break/fix or colour in.

• Advertisement
Advertisement