Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

starting triathlon

Options
  • 15-11-2017 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I am planning to start triathlon next year. I race road and xc mtb (u16) and I have done a few 5ks but I have not done much swimming. Is there an ideal amount of times to train every week to see an improvement ? Also are there any clubs that have a good youth section in south dublin area?any advice welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

The triathlon Ireland site seems to be down at the moment. They list all clubs with juvenile sections. I'd use that as a starting point.

As for how many swims a week - that really depends on where you are at. The general consensus is that you need to be swimming 4 times a week to see gains. 2 or 3 and you stagnate. A bit of a generalisation but seems to hold once people get to a certain level and are beyond beginners. It also depends on what your goals are.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Milk_Tray

in the same boat myself and am doing 2 swims and its not enough, im not improving enough and need to increase sessions! they say 3 bike 3 run 3 swim but you also need a life! depends what you want to get out of it I guess...to be competitive or just finish

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭terencemc

If you are looking for a place to improve your swimming in south dublin and doesnt break thebank. I'd recommened the swim sessions in the swan centre...really good instructors with sets that improve your stroke and push you to the max.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

its depends too on what distance triathalon you want to do and if its just finishing is the goal or coming in at top speeds. I've done a few tri, finishing better each year is the goal and I've done that. I swim once a week till about christmas and then maybe twice a week for a Jan/Feb and then a few more closer to the date. end of April is usually my first one each year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I think it depends on your approach to swimming. If you are just aimlessly swimming in the pool three times a week you are not going to see any gains. I invested in private swimming coaching sessions last year just focusing on technique. Those 8 weekly sessions improved my times far more than 3 solo swims a week would ever do.

I would highly recommend doing your swimming with a club. I usually do one open water swim and one pool session a week with the club and I've knocked almost 5 minutes of my swim time in the last year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement