Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ecce sept 2018

Options
  • 15-11-2017 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Does anyone know what is happening with jan-march babies born in 2016?
    Are the eligible from April 2019? Or sept 2018 and go to school at 4. Or is it sept 2019 and go to school at 5?
    Asking on behalf of a friend.
    Thanks a million

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

Millem wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Does anyone know what is happening with jan-march babies born in 2016?
    Are the eligible from April 2019? Or sept 2018 and go to school at 4. Or is it sept 2019 and go to school at 5?
    Asking on behalf of a friend.
    Thanks a million

It’s Sept 2019. Can do 1 year and go to school at 4 or 2 years and go at 5.

Edited to say they’ve gotten rid of the Jan and April catchments from Sept 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Thanks a million! That’s what I thought tbh but friend was adamant her child can start in sept 2018 free and sept 2019 free and go to school at 4. :)

My own son got the April-June ecce last year :)

Thanks a million! That’s what I thought tbh but friend was adamant her child can start in sept 2018 free and sept 2019 free and go to school at 4. :)

My son is a feb 2016 baby so I did a good bit of research when it came out. DCYA published a paper that gives start dates by month and year of birth.

Cakerbaker wrote: »

My son is a feb 2016 baby so I did a good bit of research when it came out. DCYA published a paper that gives start dates by month and year of birth.
    I think you are right! I don’t think a lot of Montesorris know to be honest!!

Cakerbaker thanks a million I found this from dyca.

“Those who would have benefitted from April 2019, and who will now only benefit from September 2019, are children born between January and March 2016, i.e. children who are now 1.5 years old. The 12 extra weeks of free pre-school that this small group received following the Budget 2016 expansion was an anomaly that has now been addressed with this refinement which will ensure that all eligible children can avail of an equal amount of free pre-school. While some of this group may feel they are facing a cut in eligibility, our experience from this year suggests that possibly only 55% of the cohort would be likely to take up the April 2019 entry. In addition, the group is being given more than 1.5 years notice, which seems to be reasonable, particularly as the change will only serve to reduce their total ECCE eligibility to the same duration as other children. They will still be able to avail of a full 2 years ECCE. There is a strong argument for this measure on the basis of equity (giving 76 weeks to all), as well as quality (through enabling service providers to plan more effectively and to offer staff better terms and conditions in their contracts). “

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭coffeyt

Hi hoping someone can advise, I know it's early but want to book my daughter in for play school now as it books up very quickly.
    She was born December 2015 so I had assumed that she was entitled to attend from Jan 2019 and would have a year and a half of preschool before starting school in Sept 2021 at 4 and 3/4.
    I'm hearing now that their were some changes made to the ecce programme so just wanted to check if anyone could confirm if the Jan 2019 start date would still apply?
    I had a look on the dcya website but could only find info relating to 2071/2018. Thanks!!

coffeyt wrote: »
    Hi hoping someone can advise, I know it's early but want to book my daughter in for play school now as it books up very quickly.
    She was born December 2015 so I had assumed that she was entitled to attend from Jan 2019 and would have a year and a half of preschool before starting school in Sept 2021 at 4 and 3/4.
    I'm hearing now that their were some changes made to the ecce programme so just wanted to check if anyone could confirm if the Jan 2019 start date would still apply?
    I had a look on the dcya website but could only find info relating to 2071/2018. Thanks!!

I think she’ll be able to start in sept 2018. The changes were that babies born between sept and dec could start in the sept before they turned 3. Then babies born in from Jan to aug would start in the following sept. So a baby born on 31st dec 2015 could start sept 2018 but a baby born 1 Jan 2016 would start sept 2019. I’ll try to find the report I found that was very detailed.

Edited to add there won’t be a Jan 2019 start date. From sept 2018 it’s only sept start dates.

https://www.dcya.gov.ie/documents/earlyyears/20171012FAQsEarlyYearsBudget2018.pdf

There’s a table on page 5 that gives dates based on birth dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭coffeyt

Thanks a million cakerbaker, that's actually great news as she is only 16 months younger than her big brother who just started in September and she is quiet advanced and looking to go to school already so the early start in September 2018 would be perfect (probably just a 2/3 day week to start though)

Advertisement