Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who will you adopt for the World Cup

• 15-11-2017 6:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭

So who will you now support or will you stay Neutral. Might root for Poland myself . Thought they were sound people during Euro 2012 and sure I am living next door to a bunch of them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Germany as I am half German. I also love their style and the fact that it is "Die Mannschaft" above everything. Id also tip them to win it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

The spread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

When England go out, it'll be Iceland.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Being a Dual Citizen, England. Till we get knocked out in the first round. Then it will be who ever I pick out in the work sweep steak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

Italy were always my go to team after Ireland but obviously they're out too.

I guess it'd be nice to see Messi or Ronaldo win a world cup, apart from that I don't really care so I'll just root for whoevers playing against the big teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Going to make a pool with the lads ,5er a team ,depending on the amount of lads be 2 or 3 teams.I dont want Denmark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'll probably go for Iceland, and hope they do well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

I have no affiliation to any other nation, so there is no one obvious.

Possibly might support Tunisia. If Ireland had qualified they would have been the 4th ranked team in Pot 3. That ‘honour’ now falls to Tunisia, so why not?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Would like to see Denmark & Iceland do well. I should also probably route for Poland, since I married one of their number

Ultimately though, it would be great to see Messi lift the WC. Just 'cos you know it would be Ronnie's worst nightmare!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Iceland’s time is done, that was 2016, this will be 2018

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Panama

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Panama!

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Alphabetically Iran is closest to Ireland so I'll go for them. Or Argentina, just because I really want Messi to win a World Cup. Although if they play like they did in the qualifiers they have about as much chance of winning it as Iran have.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

France besides them all the African teams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,425 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Sweden

Lots of friends over there so why not :)

I'd like England to do well, but not win. They would be insufferable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Pick Senegal if you're looking for a team - they are pretty talented and exciting.

Keita Baldé Diao, Sadio Mane, Diafra Sakho, Kalidou Koulibaly, Cheikhou Kouyaté, Moussa Sow.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Spain. Hugely positive that the main historic barrier for them have gone out to Sweden.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭FCIM

Wales - gone.
    Ireland - gone.
    Italy - gone.

I thought at least one team I have a connection with would qualify.

So I won't be supporting anyone as such though I would like to see France, Iceland, Tunisia and Morocco do well. I will probably shout for Panama too as it obviously means so much to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Whoever I get in the sweeps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Is this a public vote well then Mo Salah will win then.

Germany for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Why do you have to adopt a nation?

I'l just enjoy the bonanza of football and hope for some dramatic moments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

billyhead wrote: »
    So who will you now support or will you stay Neutral. Might root for Poland myself . Thought they were sound people during Euro 2012 and sure I am living next door to a bunch of them.
    murpho999 wrote: »
    Why do you have to adopt a nation?

I'l just enjoy the bonanza of football and hope for some dramatic moments.

You don’t, which the OP made very clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Colombia, because I live there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Whoever I back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭keith_sixteen

Colombia, because I live there.

I am going for Switzerland for the same reasons. I don't think they did themselves justice in the playoff v NI and looked much more impressive in a group with teams in and around the standard of NI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Always had a soft spot for Italy and more recently Chile, shocked they both missed out given talent levels.

Probably Uruguay now, they've always had an infectious love for the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Brazil as I do in every WC Ireland don't qualify for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

May the best and most entertaining team win.

Any team that parks the bus, I'll be cheering on their opponents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

anyone who plays England

isn't that the irish default choice? or have we grown out of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Spain as I have been living here now for the last three years. It's also great that they absolutely love soccer here and they play a great style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I shall wait until the office sweep stakes

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

Id like to see Belguim win it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Guy Sajer

I was going to say Peru but having just read how they are trying to disrupt New Zealand players on eve of playoff,(delayed their flight, took longer bus journey, fireworks outside team hotel at 3pm, military jet flyovers over team hotel at 7am) I hope they get played off the field.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Spain as I live here and it's where I've settled down, also for my missus and my mates over here, though I do love watching them get so worked up and build the team up just to knock them down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Guy Sajer wrote: »
    I was going to say Peru but having just read how they are trying to disrupt New Zealand players on eve of playoff,(delayed their flight, took longer bus journey, fireworks outside team hotel at 3pm, military jet flyovers over team hotel at 7am) I hope they get played off the field.

Those military flyovers should be considered government interference to be honest. Really is BS they had to deal with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I always had a soft spot for Croatia. And as a spurs fan, I'd like to see England do well considering the spine of the team consists of spurs players and the fact that Rooney and Gerrard are retired.

The world cup will be better without Ireland stinking the place up anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Switzerland for me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I fancy Germany to win it so will likely lump a bit of cash on them, so that will probably make me cheer them on.

Other than that, definitely looking for inspiration for some teams to get behind. I'd like Egypt to do well, first WC in so long and for such a populous country who seem to be football mad it would be good to see them doing well. Seems that they have adopted Liverpool as their club because of Mo Salah so as a Liverpool fan it would seem appropriate to pay them back.

In general it would be great to see any African team go far, Senegal sound very exciting.

If Messi and Argentina start playing well then I would get behind them because I love a great world cup story with a talismanic legend driving on the team like Maradona in 86 or Zidane in 98 and it would be great to see such a special player win a WC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I historically go for Germany if Ireland don't qualify, but I admire Iceland for what they're doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

I have a Russia jersey and an Argentina jersey tucked away in the chest of drawers, so either of them.

Definitely NOT Brazil or Portugal due to Neymar and Ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I have a Russia jersey and an Argentina jersey tucked away in the chest of drawers, so either of them.

Definitely NOT Brazil or Portugal due to Neymar and Ronaldo.

With that username you must adopt Iceland

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Switzerland, France and England as I lived in those countries. Should probably shout for Germany as I'm studying for a degree in it.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

I'll love Belgium to win it, or Argentina too..

So those two and hopefully Denmark go far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I'd love to see Messi win it, apart from that, I'm not pushed really but I'd have a vested interested in the Chelsea players playing for their countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I'd love to see Messi win it, apart from that, I'm not pushed really but I'd have a vested interested in the Chelsea players playing for their countries.
    Chelsea, along with Arsenal, Tottenham and Real Madrid have players in each pot, so could throw up some interesting ties.

My son is 6. He is cheering for Peru.
    Logic "Paddington Bear comes from darkest Peru" - there you go!

I'm old enough to remember Teofilo Cubillas, and that means old enough to recall the travesty in 1978 as well, but I forgot that they were hockeyed in 1982 by Poland!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Germany and England

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

I was born and brought up in England, so I'm sorted.

For the first 10 days anyway!

After we have our usual ignominious failure, I'll probably keep an eye out for the other countries that have City players in their squad. Brazil, Belgium, Spain, Argentina etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

jacool wrote: »

My son is 6. He is cheering for Peru.
    Logic "Paddington Bear comes from darkest Peru" - there you go!

My aunt explained where my girlfriend is from to her kids by saying Colombia is near Peru, where Paddington comes from. Peru, more than most countries, has a lot of brand recognition with young children.

• Advertisement
Advertisement