Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank closed my account without noticing me!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Vladka29 wrote: »
    On customer service they told me that account is closed ! that's why i'm upset and afraid because I know that account can be closed only when there is 0 in balance. 

And did you ask where the money was transferred to in order for them to close it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

do i get it corretly OP you ordered new card week ago which prob was sent to 1yr old address,and by the luck seems people returned the mail with the card and your account closed as not to compromise it ?

I know you will say they should called you etc,but theres no guarantees for them that if card bounced your phone nr would be the same to verify details on the phone,so from legal perspective they did you a favor.Unless it was your parents or relatives house registered to previously you seem completely donkey to not inform your bank of address change.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

If I was victim of fraud they should let me know.. not closing my account without noticing me. They should ask me first! I'm using this account everyday and this is big big problem for me. 
    I'm based in Ireland 

Well if you believe "someone" or 'something' may have caused your your account to be closed - then I believe it is up to the client to raise that there 'May' have been possible fraudulent activity on the account. Contact them and find out IF that is the case ...

Ps. If they don't have a valid address for you they could not have 'noticing you ...

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Vladka29

368100 wrote: »
    On customer service they told me that account is closed ! that's why i'm upset and afraid because I know that account can be closed only when there is 0 in balance. 

And did you ask where the money was transferred to in order for them to close it?
    I asked, they told me they have no information on this, that I have to call or come in to my branch 

scamalert wrote: »
    do i get it corretly OP you ordered new card week ago which prob was sent to 1yr old address,and by the luck seems people returned the mail with the card and your account closed as not to compromise it ?

I know you will say they should called you etc,but theres no guarantees for them that if card bounced your phone nr would be the same to verify details on the phone,so from legal perspective they did you a favor.Unless it was your parents or relatives house registered to previously you seem completely donkey to not inform your bank of address change.
    I change the address first , than I ordered new card, which I got on monday and yesterday they closed my account. Very strange 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

If you read your T&Cs you will find a statement saying the bank has the right to close your account whenever they want, as long as they give you notice in writing. And there generally nothing about how and when they might refund anything left over in the account. All the banks have something similar.

I asked, they told me they have no information on this, that I have to call or come in to my branch 

I suspect the account isn't closed, the person who you were speaking get to had no access as there's a block on it. I could be wrong, just my opinion. All you can do is call or go into branch....let us know

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Vladka29 wrote:
    I change the address first , than I ordered new card, which I got on monday and yesterday they closed my account. Very strange

Probably looks like Fraud, that's why. You should be grateful.

I suspect the account isn't closed, the person who you were speaking get to had no access as there's a block on it. I could be wrong, just my opinion. All you can do is call or go into branch....let us know
    I spoke with 3 different people all told me that my account was closed. But they dont know why 

I spoke with 3 different people all told me that my account was closed. But they dont know why 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭hgfj

Seems strange to me that they would close or block the account AFTER the address has been updated and the card sent out.  I would just call into the local branch with proof of id and they should probably be able to sort it out there and then. I had a similiar experiance with the credit union. My account had been closed because I hadn't even looked at it for over a year. I called in to make a lodgemt and they said it was closed. Had about 5 grand sitting in it. But they were able to reopen it there and then when I showed proof of address and id.

hgfj wrote: »
    Seems strange to me that they would close or block the account AFTER the address has been updated and the card sent out.  I would just call into the local branch with proof of id and they should probably be able to sort it out there and then. I had a similiar experiance with the credit union. My account had been closed because I hadn't even looked at it for over a year. I called in to make a lodgemt and they said it was closed. Had about 5 grand sitting in it. But they were able to reopen it there and then when I showed proof of address and id.
    That's what im saying. Very strange. Also, it's not like I haven't use the account, I was using this account constantly almost every day ! 

That's what im saying. Very strange. Also, it's not like I haven't use the account, I was using this account constantly almost every day ! 

In that case it sounds like some sort of fraud, who was at the old address that the bank had on file? They could have gotten access to statements etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lifeandtimes

Probably because you moved and didbt advise them for over a year. Then call to change your address and get a new card and this would raise alarm bells in their system as possible fraud and they've suspended your account.

Unfortunately this is your doing OP by not changing the address so go in tomorrow, be polite explain what happened in a nice tone and this will be resolved

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

amcalester wrote:
    Cuts out money laundering.

amcalester wrote:
    Cuts out money laundering.

There would still need to be some unusual activity or transactions to attract attention id say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

There would still need to be some unusual activity or transactions to attract attention id say

Returned post would be enough.

Perhaps the person who changed the address/sent out the card completed a SAR.

We’ve no way of knowing but if the OP goes into a branch he’ll find out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Kareana

Hi Vladka29,

Thanks for your post here on Boards.

We are sorry to hear you feel this way.

As mentioned above by our colleagues we would advise you to call into your local branch with photo ID and an customer advisor will be happy to look into this for you.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can help you with.

Thanks,

Kareana

Advertisement