Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank closed my account without noticing me!

Options
  • 15-11-2017 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Yesterday I realize I cannot log in into my 365. Today when I called to customer service, they told me my bank account was closed, but they don't know why. They told me to call my branch. I called 4 times to my branch, nobody picked up, I left messages, nobody call me back. Nobody let me know that they gonna close my account. I had an account for 4 years with the constant movements on my account. I still have 1500 euro now on my account and they close it without any notice ? How is this possible ? I'm in mood to call a layer and press charges. It is unbelievable that bank do this to the loyal customer. I have to take half day off tomorrow to go to the branch. Who is going to pay me this ? 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Vladka29 wrote: »
    Yesterday I realize I cannot log in into my 365. Today when I called to customer service, they told me my bank account was closed, but they don't know why. They told me to call my branch. I called 4 times to my branch, nobody picked up, I left messages, nobody call me back. Nobody let me know that they gonna close my account. I had an account for 4 years with the constant movements on my account. I still have 1500 euro now on my account and they close it without any notice ? How is this possible ? I'm in mood to call a layer and press charges. It is unbelievable that bank do this to the loyal customer. I have to take half day off tomorrow to go to the branch. Who is going to pay me this ? 

If you don't believe the bank have any reason to close your account - is it possible that you have been a victim of fraud? Contact the emergency bank number to report same...

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Vladka29

gozunda wrote: »

If you don't believe the bank have any reason to close your account - is it possible that you have been a victim of fraud? Contact the emergency bank number to report same...
    I contact the bank 4 times today, if I would be a victim of fraud , wouldnt they tell me that over the phone ? their service is unbelievable.. I will for sure sue them!! Closing account without noticing me ? I had to pay my college today, and more! I have no time for this!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I contact the bank 4 times today, if I would be a victim of fraud , wouldnt they tell me that over the phone ? their service is unbelievable.. I will for sure sue them!! Closing account without noticing me ? I had to pay my college today, and more! I have no time for this!!

Did you raise this as a possibility? It might be a good idea to attempt to ascertain what has actually happened before jumping in with all four feet ...

Btw are you based in Ireland or otherwise?

gozunda wrote: »

Did you raise this as a possibility? It might be a good idea to attempt to ascertain what has actually happened before jumping in with all four feet ...

Btw are you based in Ireland or otherwise?
    If I was victim of fraud they should let me know.. not closing my account without noticing me. They should ask me first! I'm using this account everyday and this is big big problem for me. 
    I'm based in Ireland 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

If I was victim of fraud they should let me know.. not closing my account without noticing me. They should ask me first! I'm using this account everyday and this is big big problem for me. 
    I'm based in Ireland 

Have you recently moved or updated your address since you last moved?

• Advertisement

amcalester wrote: »
    I'm based in Ireland 

Have you recently moved or updated your address since you last moved?
    Yes actually I updated my address like 2 weeks ago 

And how long before that had you moved?

Usually, in my experience of working in retail banking, when the bank decides to close an account 4 weeks notice is given in writing. So that would have been sent to your previous address.

And how long before that had you moved?

Usually, in my experience of working in retail banking, when the bank decides to close an account 4 weeks notice is given in writing. So that would have been sent to your previous address.
    I moved almost year ago and I needed new debit card so I changed the address recently. I don't care if they sent me letter to my previous address, they have no reason to close my account. And they should contact me also different way if they have seen that I didnt get back to them regarding closing account. This is not acceptable!! 

• Site Banned Posts: 880 ✭✭✭whiteshorts

There has to be a good reason to close the account.
    Banks aren't in the habit of closing accounts for no reason.

I moved almost year ago and I needed new debit card so I changed the address recently. I don't care if they sent me letter to my previous address, they have no reason to close my account. And they should contact me also different way if they have seen that I didnt get back to them regarding closing account. This is not acceptable!! 

So for 50 weeks any post sent to your old address may have been returned to the bank, that could well be why the account was closed.

It’s up to you to keep the bank informed of your address.

You didn’t and now it looks like the account has been closed.

Go in tomorrow with proof of your new address and they’ll probably reopen it, or remove the block that was placed on it.

And next time you move tell them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

So you moved address a YEAR agio, but only decided to tell the bank TWO WEEKS ago.

You want to find out who to blame?  Find a big mirror and look into it. There's the person you blame! 

Would really really love to see you "sue" the bank - you will need a lot more than €1500 for the legal costs when you lose.

CeilingFly wrote: »
    So you moved address a YEAR agio, but only decided to tell the bank TWO WEEKS ago.

You want to find out who to blame?  Find a big mirror and look into it. There's the person you blame! 

Would really really love to see you "sue" the bank - you will need a lot more than €1500 for the legal costs when you lose.

I used to have to deal with people like the OP when working in banking.

They’d come in screaming murder that we “closed their account, how dare you, I’m going to sue”

Usually took about 2 minutes to establish that we’d had post returned and there was no answer on the phone numbers provided because the customer had moved and changed number.

Customer was usually fairly sheepish then.

We’d update the address and phone number and send th customer on his or her way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

CeilingFly wrote:
    You want to find out who to blame? Find a big mirror and look into it. There's the person you blame!

I still dont see whay they would close it. If there was ongoing transactions and it was in credit

• Site Banned Posts: 880 ✭✭✭whiteshorts

So you moved address a YEAR agio,

Missed that.
    As said that's your reason.

I still dont see whay they would close it. If there was ongoing transactions and it was in credit

Cuts out money laundering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Do banks still send out letters?

Still, if they didn't get answer from me , they shouldn't close my account without my knowledge. They had no reason to close my account. I never have been in minus or had any problem. It's their fold, and they will pay for that !! 

Cuts out money laundering.
    Yes coz I need to laundering my 2000 monthly pay :D  good one 

Still, if they didn't get answer from me , they shouldn't close my account without my knowledge. They had no reason to close my account. I never have been in minus or had any problem. It's their fold, and they will pay for that !! 

Technically it’s not your account. It’s the banks.

They really won’t pay for it and if you go in with an attitude you’ll get short shrift.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Just take your money out tomorrow and move on.

• Advertisement

I used to have to deal with people like the OP when working in banking.

They’d come in screaming murder that we “closed their account, how dare you, I’m going to sue”

Usually took about 2 minutes to establish that we’d had post returned and there was no answer on the phone numbers provided because the customer had moved and changed number.

Customer was usually fairly sheepish then.

We’d update the address and phone number and send th customer on his or her way.
    I din't change my tel number for 10 years + I spoke with my branch a week ago, they could tell me that they wants to close my account when I was ordering new visa card. Their fold, not mine !! 

I din't change my tel number for 10 years + I spoke with my branch a week ago, they could tell me that they wants to close my account when I was ordering new visa card. Their fold, not mine !! 

It doesn’t matter whose fault it is, the preferred outcome is to have the account reopened.

The person on the phone may not have been aware, if the account was being closed for Anti Money Laundering purposes that would not have been obvious to anyone but the AML team.

Why not? 
    No reply to letters,  probably sent back to them.

Therefore under European money laundering legislation they have no correct address for you.

100% your fault,  absolutely zero fault of the bank.

It doesn’t matter whose fault it is, the preferred outcome is to have the account reopened.

The person on the phone may not have been aware, if the account was being closed for Anti Money Laundering purposes that would not have been obvious to anyone but the AML team.
    I just got really angry, because for me to be without b/a is like being without one hand... and they customer service is very bad, because I really tried to call many times to branch and to customer service... imagine i would have branch 300km away...what then ? 

I just got really angry, because for me to be without b/a is like being without one hand... and they customer service is very bad, because I really tried to call many times to branch and to customer service... imagine i would have branch 300km away...what then ? 

Well now you’ve learned how important it is to keep the bank informed of your current address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Yet another blame the bank thread straight away without taking responsibility for not managing affairs. A year to update an address and then scream about sueing. I worry about people.

Bank needs to ensure it can identify it's customers under anti money laundering regs. It can't run an account if it has returned post. It also would have given written notice but I guess they have to be psychic to find out new address.

OP are you sure the account is closed and not just blocked? You have no case against them by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Not possible to close an account unless balance is nil.

Under CPC, bank needs to give 60 days notice to close an account.

I imagine it's not closed, just blocked.

You can call into any branch - its stated in the terms and conditions.  

And just in case you think you just call in, shout at a staff member and think they bow in front of you, remember this is YOUR fault. And they can if they wish refuse to deal with you if you are aggressive. 

And make sure you bring proper id including old and new address confirmation.  Otherwise they can decide not to do anything. 

Remember. Be nice and it will be sorted in 5 minutes.  Be stupid and angry and there will be long delay. 

368100 wrote: »
    Yet another blame the bank thread straight away without taking responsibility for not managing affairs. A year to update an address and then scream about sueing. I worry about people.

Bank needs to ensure it can identify it's customers under anti money laundering regs. It can't run an account if it has returned post. It also would have given written notice but I guess they have to be psychic to find out new address.

OP are you sure the account is closed and not just blocked? You have no case against them by the way.
    On customer service they told me that account is closed ! that's why i'm upset and afraid because I know that account can be closed only when there is 0 in balance. 

• Advertisement

Not possible to close an account unless balance is nil.

Under CPC, bank needs to give 60 days notice to close an account.

I imagine it's not closed, just blocked.
    They told me over the phone that account is closed. 

Advertisement