Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Card blocked by Retailer - has anyone experienced this ?

Options
  • 15-11-2017 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has come across this.

This morning I tired to order an item of clothing from an online store (large British clothing retailer). This order was prompted by an email from the store. I have ordered many times from them and have never had a problem in ordering or receiving items (had one problem with a return a few years ago).

As I have ordered before I logged in and proceeded to try to check out. I entered my Card details and then waited and instead of giving me my Order Number and confirming order number the Page returned to the My Basket Page with a warning at the top that there was a problem (not specified) and to contact the Retailer on a British phone number. So I tried again and a third time. Same message. So I phoned my Bank to ensure that there was no problem with my Card to be assured that there was not.

Then I phoned the Store's Customer Services. I was then informed that the Store had blocked my Card for Fraud purposes. I asked for an explanation and was told that my IP Address was showing as Dublin and that my Delivery Address was elsewhere in the Country (where I live). I told them that I was at home so this should not be the case. I was put on hold and then informed that the hold would be removed but no time frame specified.

I waited then tried to order again. Same message. So I rang my Bank to be told that there were 7 Pending Transactions on my Card, all for the same amount of money and all approved by the Bank. I did not try to do the Transaction 7 times ! I was also told that as the Bank had approved them that the money was removed from my available balance and that I would need to either get the Retailer to reverse the charge or the Bank will have to do a Chargeback and it will take some time for the money to be refunded to me / balance to become available on my Card.

I rang the Customer Services number again to be told that once I tried to order 3 times that I would be blocked for 24 hours. They said that they would not actually take the money from my card. I asked repeatedly why this had happened and they repeated that my IP Address is showing as Dublin and I do not live in Dublin. I don't understand why this matters. Then they said that their Security Team could see my recent pattern of spending with other Retailers and that it was unusual and therefore suggested Fraud. We are getting work done to the House so it has been unusual but I am finding it difficult to believe that a British Clothing Retailer can access this information.

I phoned my own Bank and they have told me that the Retailer is not telling the truth and as far as they are concerned the Retailer has processed this transaction 7 times and the only was to get the money back is through a refund or the chargeback procedure.

Apologies for the length of this Post. Has anyone come across this ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,020 ✭✭✭✭L1011

IP geolocation within Ireland is pointless and will show Dublin for virtually everyone everywhere - they shouldn't be doing this.

If the transactions are only pending they probably aren't actually going to go through

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Most of Virgin customers, all of the mobile operator and some others will locate to Dublin, or if you're unlucky Amsterdam/Belgium when the blocks get moved. That kind of fraud blocking is silly.

If the cards ZIP (Postcode/county) match the delivery address it shouldnt be flagged. Find a less thick retailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

L1011 wrote: »
    IP geolocation within Ireland is pointless and will show Dublin for virtually everyone everywhere - they shouldn't be doing this.

If the transactions are only pending they probably aren't actually going to go through

Fingers crossed they don't go through but the amount is still not in my available Credit (and at 7 times the original price it is a fair bit of money!).

I am wondering though about the IP explanation and also the using the Card at different Retailers recently - how can they see this ? Or can they ? And what business is it of theirs as long as my Bank approve these transactions and don't see them as potential fraud. Also a fraudster would hardly be ordering a Dress in my own Size and sending it to my address.

It just makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Any website you connect to can do whats called a reverse lookup to get a gist for where you are. In some cases this is the nearest county town, others its Dublin.

The reason the retailer cares is if fraud is later detected the payment processors can recall the funds but the goods have already been dispatched, puts the onus on them to not facilitate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Was it H&M by any chance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I had the exact same happen to me with an online uk retailler (shoes)

I had ordered from them before with no issues. My office address is keyed as a delivery address as my card is billed the hime but delivery to where tk.

I keyed the same order 3 times, and ended up blocking 800 on my debit card . Which eventually fell away but held up funds for a week!

Very annoyed and their customer service dept was trying to blame my bank but it was them.

I had ordered over 1000 from them in the past with no issues. Very annoyed.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

bee06 wrote: »
    Was it H&M by any chance?

I was going to say was it New Look. I had that issue with them before and it took a week before the "pending" transactions fell off my card.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

L1011 wrote: »

Even worse if ones uses a VPN...

Toots wrote: »
    I was going to say was it New Look. I had that issue with them before and it took a week before the "pending" transactions fell off my card.

Not H&M or New Look.

Still not resolved. On hold yet again to their Customer Services.

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Not H&M or New Look.

Still not resolved. On hold yet again to their Customer Services.

And now they have given me yet another reason - they are now saying that the Delivery Address does not match the Address on my Credit Card. I have lived in my home for 14 years, have ordered before from this Retailer online before and used this Credit Card before.

No clue what is going on. :mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement