Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is they ever going to end?

• 15-11-2017 7:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭

The farcical apologies issued by the HSE , on a regular basis , to survivors of victims of negligence carried out by this SHAMEFUL organisation . Stevie Cullinane , the latest . Why is this public service allowed to exist . No consequences equals no care , Professional Gangsters IMHO . Rant over .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

As far as I know, the reason this persists is because of the moronic "unity" in unions between frontline staff and pen pushers. In other words, you can't gut the administration without a revolt from the actual medical staff.

Why they do this is utterly beyond me since medical staff surely suffer just as much because of the chaos that results from so much money being wasted on corporate bollocks, but numerous people have stated that this is what happens. You try to attack the pen pushers and you end up with a nurse's strike or similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Id have taught the HSE stepping up and accepting responsibility was a good thing and should be encouraged??

Unlike the gaurds who tried to lie/brazen their way outta faking the drink driving tests

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭mountai

Id have taught the HSE stepping up and accepting responsibility was a good thing and should be encouraged??

Are you for real ? . His Mother went through two years of being stonewalled and had to go through legal hell to get relevant details and as usual the apology was only issued under legal duress . Disgraceful actions caused by a culture of secrecy and cover up .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Unlike the gaurds who tried to lie/brazen their way outta faking the drink driving tests

It's a good thing but it's not enough. People should be fired and publicly shamed for being responsible for this, and that should happen in most such cases where individual f*ck ups can be identified. It's not enough to do this quietly either, I want to see headlines such as "John Doe fired from HSE over scandal". These people should be accountable to the public and should get very, very few second chances when it comes to situations like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

They Live.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

That's what happens when there is no accountability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Who or what is "they"?...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

They is goa'n end cos they is dun notin' fo nobody never. Ain't that right, yup das right. They is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

There is only so many times the HSE can apologise before it becomes empty and meaningless and I think we have already passed that stage.

This poor woman was left alone during labour for 90 minutes, she was basically forgotten about, how was that allowed to happen and why has no one been made accountable for it?

To be fair to staff though, I saw myself when I had my own children how cutbacks have affected patient care, the staff are pushed far beyond their own limits and that has a knock on effect on patient care. I don't know how I feel about a nurse/doctor being fired because they forgot something in the haze of exhaustion and overwork. But someone needs to take responsibility. To lose your husband and then your child a few months later, life is so cruel sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭mountai

The culture of conflict and cover up HAS to end . How come it was necessary to appoint 9% extra admin staff last year . Why can accountability not be enforced . Present Minister continues to wring his hands whilst telling us "We will look at it " Its enough to have me thinking to vote SF next time as the rest of THEM are as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Some philosopher from long ago said that politicians will be corrupt as long as people are corrupt, so maybe as long as we're willing to accept such behaviour, it will never change.
    Solution? Contact your TD and give out to him/her - not in a Joe-Duffy-complaining manner. Demand him/her to start correcting the problem. Their job is to represent the Citizens of the Rep. and govern the State and if they won't do that, let them know they won't be getting your vote again and that you'll speak against them at every opportunity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Zero accountability amongst the bloated levels of non front line "managers".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Leo's spin team, calling Leo's spin team. Spill on aisle 4....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

....... wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

It wouldn't actually surprise me if Varadkar came out with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Can’t really blame Leo.

In this case I don’t know if the procedures were normally safe and she was unlucky or whether this was bad practice. Would like to see high management in the HSE do something about trolleys etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Hardly the same thing is it? Negligence which may have caused the death or serious injury/illness of a person compared to guards exaggerating the number of breath tests they carried out. No one died or got hurt as a result of it and no one knew the number or cared how many breath tests were carried out prior to all this yet now everyone is up in arms over something that doesn’t effect anyone in any way.

Stupid little narrow minded nasty country we have here.

Can’t really blame Leo.

In this case I don’t know if the procedures were normally safe and she was unlucky or whether this was bad practice. Would like to see high management in the HSE do something about trolleys etc.

Varadkar is in charge of running the country so yes i do blame him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Hardly the same thing is it? Negligence which may have caused the death or serious injury/illness of a person compared to guards exaggerating the number of breath tests they carried out. No one died or got hurt as a result of it and no one knew the number or cared how many breath tests were carried out prior to all this yet now everyone is up in arms over something that doesn’t effect anyone in any way.

Stupid little narrow minded nasty country we have here.

Hmm....ok so

You don't think it's good people accepting responsibility??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    Varadkar is in charge of running the country so yes i do blame him.

He’s not in charge of every operation in every hospital.

• Advertisement

He’s not in charge of every operation in every hospital.

It seems the problem is no one knows who is supposed to be in charge of any one hospital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,090 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

As long as health care is delivered by human beings who can make mistakes, there will be mistakes and a need for apologies. Does matter whether it's run by the HSE or any private sector body.

When people can't or won't find out who made the mistake then the problem goes beyond basic human error.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

eviltwin wrote: »
    There is only so many times the HSE can apologise before it becomes empty and meaningless and I think we have already passed that stage.

This poor woman was left alone during labour for 90 minutes, she was basically forgotten about, how was that allowed to happen and why has no one been made accountable for it?

To be fair to staff though, I saw myself when I had my own children how cutbacks have affected patient care, the staff are pushed far beyond their own limits and that has a knock on effect on patient care. I don't know how I feel about a nurse/doctor being fired because they forgot something in the haze of exhaustion and overwork. But someone needs to take responsibility. To lose your husband and then your child a few months later, life is so cruel sometimes.

You ask why was this allowed to happen..... but then in the very next sentence you admit that you saw staff being pushed beyond their limit and that it affected care.

Then you say that you don't want them to be fired because they are in a haze of tiredness or overwork..... do you really think that any midwife makes a mistake intentionally?

Most likely what happened here is that the midwife really didn't expect her to go. into labour so quickly.... and then got so involved in the care if other patients that she was delayed in returning to her.... I don't think it was that she was drinking tea somewhere! Or that she didn't care... or that she was lazy.... most likely a very very busy midwife who really didn't think that she would labour.

Medical errors, which are nothing to do withack of training, or laziness, do tragecally happen.

Advertisement