Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning to ride a motorcycle tips

• 15-11-2017 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hey everyone.

I'm looking to seriously take a drivers theory test in the near future to get a learners permit for riding a motorcycle. I'm aware of the steps to get there and feel confident about it, but I have some questions I can't find a straight answer for.

I know the basic category you could qualify for are the AM and A1 (mopeds and small motorbikes) but I have been entertaining the thought of going for the A2 (medium) since I'm well over the age of 18 and I could progress to an A class if I wished to do so. If I were to get an A2 licence does that mean I am automatically qualified to ride a class AM or A1 vehicle?

And for lessons I have been looking at a few schools in Dublin, preferably ones where they can supply you with a practice bike and gear. But when it comes to doing a course and being guaranteed a rental bike and gear how would insurance work? Would they supply you with insurance and expect you to pay for it or would you need to buy your own insurance regardless of whether or not you own a motorcycle?

Thanks guys.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Seabhac14 wrote: »
    And for lessons I have been looking at a few schools in Dublin, preferably ones where they can supply you with a practice bike and gear. But when it comes to doing a course and being guaranteed a rental bike and gear how would insurance work? Would they supply you with insurance and expect you to pay for it or would you need to buy your own insurance regardless of whether or not you own a motorcycle?

All you'll need to do is arrive with a learner permit and they'll provide everything else including a taxed and insured bike.
    Seabhac14 wrote: »
    I know the basic category you could qualify for are the AM and A1 (mopeds and small motorbikes) but I have been entertaining the thought of going for the A2 (medium) since I'm well over the age of 18 and I could progress to an A class if I wished to do so. If I were to get an A2 licence does that mean I am automatically qualified to ride a class AM or A1 vehicle?
    Thanks guys.

Aim for the highest category you can get a permit for depending on your circumstances as that category will include smaller categories automatically.

If you're over 24 you can go straight for category A bikes. IF you're between 18 and 24, you will have the choice to either progress from A2 to A after 2 years or if you're close to 24, you could maybe hold out on doing the cat A business strategically until later.

Assuming you're starting on bikes for the first time, you will pay virtually the same price for theory test, IBT, bike, gear, maintenance, taking the test and so on regardless of whether you're going for a permit and licence for a Honda 50 or a Honda Blackbird and the skill set is virtually the same.

Advertisement