Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Ireland's problem in our choice of manager?

• 15-11-2017 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

let's be honest, we've never had a really great manager. charlton was a great player of course, but never really had much success in management. ireland played a dreadful style of football under him and we just happened to be very lucky with a few unusually good players at the the same time. the others? all extremely average journeyman type managers.

trappatoni was our one high level manager but he was a dinosaur in footballing terms and hadn't won anything of note in almost 10 years when we got him.

yes ireland can never hope to match most other country's players with decent domestic leagues and high populations, but at least a top manager would dramatically improve us.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

froog wrote: »
    let's be honest, we've never had a really great manager. charlton was a great player of course, but never really had much success in management. ireland played a dreadful style of football under him and we just happened to be very lucky with a few unusually good players at the the same time. the others? all extremely average journeyman type managers.

trappatoni was our one high level manager but he was a dinosaur in footballing terms and hadn't won anything of note in almost 10 years when we got him.

yes ireland can never hope to match most other country's players with decent domestic leagues and high populations, but at least a top manager would dramatically improve us.

In his one season with Benfica back in 2005/05, he led them to their first title in over a decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Is there really the need to start a new thread on this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

The FAI has to shoulder most of the blame.
    We should have some sort of reputable league here like they have in Denmark, Scotland, Norway, Belgium etc.

Decades and decades of neglect can't be ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

I'm calling bollox on that. Charlton did a great job for Ireland. Everyone says he had great players. Eoin Hand had a similarly talented bunch of players as did John Giles and they qualified for nowt.

You also have to remember that there weren't too many envious glances from across the water at our players. Watch Brian Clough be scathing of Mick McCarthy before the England v Ireland tie in 1988 for example. Watch Emlyn Hughes decry the England performance in 1990 against us by saying "Come on. It's only Ireland."

We weren't rated. I remember those tournaments - nobody outside this island thought we were up to much and Big Jack got a lot out of that team.

Charlton's style was ugly and terrible to watch. But it was of its time. People were teaching the Charles Hughes philosophy at the time which is why managers like Graham Taylor, Bobby Gould and Dave Bassett were flourishing in England. And it wasn't just in England. The 1990 World Cup was an eyesore with pretty much every country employing a style that made us look not too bad.

The revisionism on Big Jack's reign, where people think he got lucky with a wonderful set of players, annoys be because Jack did far more than that and the team he had wasn't as good as people remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

DeanAustin wrote: »
    I'm calling bollox on that. Charlton did a great job for Ireland. Everyone says he had great players. Eoin Hand had a similarly talented bunch of players as did John Giles and they qualified for nowt.

You also have to remember that there weren't too many envious glances from across the water at our players. Watch Brian Clough be scathing of Mick McCarthy before the England v Ireland tie in 1988 for example. Watch Emlyn Hughes decry the England performance in 1990 against us by saying "Come on. It's only Ireland."

We weren't rated. I remember those tournaments - nobody outside this island thought we were up to much and Big Jack got a lot out of that team.

Charlton's style was ugly and terrible to watch. But it was of its time. People were teaching the Charles Hughes philosophy at the time which is why managers like Graham Taylor, Bobby Gould and Dave Bassett were flourishing in England. And it wasn't just in England. The 1990 World Cup was an eyesore with pretty much every country employing a style that made us look not too bad.

The revisionism on Big Jack's reign, where people think he got lucky with a wonderful set of players, annoys be because Jack did far more than that and the team he had wasn't as good as people remember.

Were they really great players? Or were they reasonable players playing in a very poor league that hadn't seen the influx of players from all over the world. I have a feeling those very good players would be playing at clubs like Burnley in this era.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

It's very simple.

We. Don't. Have. The. Players.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

DeanAustin wrote: »

Do you remember Norway and what they were like around then. We played against them in 94. 0-0. If the match was still going on now there still would be no goal in it. Egil Olsen.

Were they really great players? Or were they reasonable players playing in a very poor league that hadn't seen the influx of players from all over the world. I have a feeling those very good players would be playing at clubs like Burnley in this era.

You’re right. They were reasonable/good players and not much more for the most part. Bonner was a decent keeper but far from excellent. Morris was very limited, McCarthy was a stopper. Moran was decent but in Spain with Gijon at the time if I’m not wrong. Stan was good but still raw. McGrath was class and Jack probably under utilized his talents to accommodate the two centre backs in the team. Townsend, Houghton and Sheedy were all good but hardly world class. Quinn and Cascarino were limited big target men and Aldridge struggled at that time at international level.

It wasn’t a team of great players by any stretch.

You could argue for O’Leary, Brady and Stapleton but they were well past their prime and not in the team by 1990. But that’s the point, those three were very good players and played for managers before Jack with other decent players (Galvin, Lawro, Steve Heighway, Jim Beglin, Chris Hughton, John Giles, Don Givens etc.) and qualified for nothing.

Big Jack did a lot for football in this country ugly and all as his teams played.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

O Neills a dinosaur like Trapp before him total muck-arrogant little git

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Do you remember Norway and what they were like around then. We played against them in 94. 0-0. If the match was still going on now there still would be no goal in it. Egil Olsen.

Jesus that match was offensive. Norway under Olsen were criminally bad to watch. He did get results though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

It's very simple.

We. Don't. Have. The. Players.

Or. Manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

We can change the manager as much as we like but the reality is we have a historical record in big games of scoring a goal and then sitting back. We don't seem to have a courage to go for that second. We score and then panic. Sometimes we pull it off or score late enough but when Ireland score eaely, we can pretty much predict the rest of the match.

This isn't an O'Neill or Trapattoni thing, I can remember this happening as far back as Big Jack.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

And why would a top quality manager of the level you envisage want to manage a national team with such a scarcity of decent talent and without that situation looking likely to change any time soon? Unfortunately the two are inextricably linked, without one you're never going to get the other.

We can change the manager as much as we like but the reality is we have a historical record in big games of scoring a goal and then sitting back. We don't seem to have a courage to go for that second. We score and then panic. Sometimes we pull it off or score late enough but when Ireland score eaely, we can pretty much predict the rest of the match.

This isn't an O'Neill or Trapattoni thing, I can remember this happening as far back as Big Jack.

Not saying you’re wrong but did it happen under Jack? I’m guessing England in ‘88 or Spain in ‘89 are probably the examples?

On the flip side, we demolished some teams (Malta/Turkey) and I even recall us comfortably beating the likes of Hungary and NI without falling back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Grayson Late Penalty

In his one season with Benfica back in 2005/05, he led them to their first title in over a decade.

Also won the Austrian league with the RedBull team as far as I remember

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

a Ireland that got to quarter final of world cup and last 16 following one. a team that were 8 minutes away from Semi Finals of Euro 88 and came 5th overall. 6th in the World Rankings around 1993

Beat Germany, Spain, Italy, Brazil, England and we're close to knocking out the Dutch team that had players like Van Basten Guillt and Rajkaard and knocked Euro Camps Denmark out of WC 94

but now would only be good enough for Burnley?

OK. ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

a Ireland that got to quarter final of world cup and last 16 following one. a team that were 8 minutes away from Semi Finals of Euro 88 and came 5th overall. 6th in the World Rankings around 1993

Beat Germany, Spain, Italy, Brazil, England and we're close to knocking out the Dutch team that had players like Van Basten Guillt and Rajkaard and knocked Euro Camps Denmark out of WC 94

OK. ....

Packie Bonner, Chris Morris, Steve Staunton, Mick McCarthy (capt), Kevin Moran, Paul McGrath, Ray Houghton, Kevin Sheedy, Andy Townsend, John Aldridge (John Sheridan 78'), Niall Quinn (Tony Cascarino 54')

Paul McGrath aside, the rest of that team were quite ordinary. They may have been playing for decent sides but this was before the arrival of the premier league and influx of "foreign" players.

I think if you transported this current Irish team back in time, the likes of Brady, Hendrick, Ward (Burnley) might be playing for more prestigious clubs.

That was the jist of my point. I think Charlton did a really good job with the players he had, however crude his style, rather than held back a really great bunch of players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

At 1-0 Murphy and McLean both had chances to go 2-0 up. We didn't sit back. They picked up the tempo and dominated us. Even at 2-1 down we went, overly, attacking.

But I don't accept that we sat back. Their second came from a quick break from our attack.

Packie Bonner, Chris Morris, Steve Staunton, Mick McCarthy (capt), Kevin Moran, Paul McGrath, Ray Houghton, Kevin Sheedy, Andy Townsend, John Aldridge (John Sheridan 78'), Niall Quinn (Tony Cascarino 54')

Paul McGrath aside, the rest of that team were quite ordinary. They may have been playing for decent sides but this was before the arrival of the premier league and influx of "foreign" players.

I think if you transported this current Irish team back in time, the likes of Brady, Hendrick, Ward (Burnley) might be playing for more prestigious clubs.

That was the jist of my point. I think Charlton did a really good job with the players he had, however crude his style, rather than held back a really great bunch of players.

between 1974 WC and up to 2006 WC Ireland goal v Mexico in 94 had most passes out of any goal from WC game in that period.

they were very good players. should we say same about Brian Laudrup now or Guillt or Van Basten? come on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

OK. ....
    Only 8 teams in Euro '88 :-D

• Advertisement

Wheety wrote: »
    Only 8 teams in Euro '88 :-D

Only 16 teams in many World Cups but we don't see England have a WC taken away from them for it.

we knocked out Belgium, Bulgaria and Scotland to reach that Euros. all fine sides then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Only 16 teams in many World Cups but we don't see England have a WC taken away from them for it.

we knocked out Belgium, Bulgaria and Scotland to reach that Euros. all fine sides then

You said we finished 5th as if that was a big achievement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Ah here, Sheedy and Aldridge were fairly pivotal in League winning sides and arguably would have been European champs were it not for the English European ban at that time.

Wheety wrote: »
    You said we finished 5th as if that was a big achievement.

it was

Advertisement