Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help a newbie out?

Options
  • 15-11-2017 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I've started to set up a simple network in my house. You can see the diagram here.

Network_Layout.png

The internet comes in through one of those vodaphone 4G Huawei b528 routers. I connect this and the NVR to a NetGear unmanaged network switch. The network switch connects to a port on patch panel (I'm only use one wall socket atm I have 7). The wall socket is connected to the Linksys router into the port marked "internet" with the LAN ports connected wired to Sky Q and Xbox. Wireless connected to the Laptop phone etc

One thing I have a problem with this is I can't connect to the NVR via the Linksys router. I can't ping it or see it (destination host unavailable - It can be remotely hit via the internet though). From my limited network knowledge, I think this is because my Linksys router which I connect too isn't the DHCP server for the NVR so when i try ping it via it's IP I can't because the router doesn't know about it.

I'm not really sure what to do though to fix that. Any pointers for me?

EDIT: Just for clarity. The reason I have this setup is I live in the sticks and the only way to get signal is to have the Vodaphone modem at the top of the Attic. The Linksys router wasn't doing a good job of pushing down signal from the attic so I moved it to a ground floor room which fixed that. Otherwise I'd connect the Internet directly to the Linksys and then connect it to the switch and put all the other ports on that to the patch panel ports and NVR.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

I'd say set Linksys on same network as Huawei, disable DHCP on it and connect over Ethernet port, not Internet. This way Linksys would act as unmanaged switch/ WiFi AP

And NVR is on static IP isn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yeah, you've got two networks not one. Setting up the linksys as an AP will solve it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

Thanks. I will give that a try. Networking isn't my thing but thought it might be a 2 network problem.

I've also managed to get to the NVR as it changed it's IP since I posted after I rebooted everything and now it's accessible on the network through the Linksys router.

I still will re-work everything to be a single network ans I need to add another Access point to other end of the house as the signal isn't getting down there. I'd like to only have one single AP name etc.

Do people find those extenders you plug in and connect to via a Cat cable any good? I have cat6a points through every room (god bless the new build!)

I was thinking of this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-802-11ac-Extender-External-EX6150-100UKS/dp/B00V6B9XS2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1510916246&sr=8-5&keywords=netgear+wifi+booster

• Registered Users Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Reati wrote: »
    Thanks. I will give that a try. Networking isn't my thing but thought it might be a 2 network problem.
    If you would post IP addresses with subnet mask of your devises here we could determin many networks you got.
    IP: 192.168.1.254
    Mask: 255.255.255.0
    I've also managed to get to the NVR as it changed it's IP since I posted after I rebooted everything and now it's accessible on the network through the Linksys router.

Recomend to set NVR to have static IP so it would not change if you would need to reboot NVR or in event of power outage. Set IP to be some easy memorizable number like xxx.xxx.xxx.100 or so on same network.
    I still will re-work everything to be a single network ans I need to add another Access point to other end of the house as the signal isn't getting down there. I'd like to only have one single AP name etc.

As long you ensure they are configured on same network and DHCP's disabled, you can use multiple devises like your Linksys to extend you WiFi network. You can set them on same MyWiFiSSIDname with same password, set channel on AUTO so they would not overlap or set channel to be as far from each other as possible(1, 11 for two AP; 1, 6, 11 for three AP).

Advertisement