Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puting down partial floor in attic for storage

Options
  • 15-11-2017 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

My attic was insulated two years ago. Prior to that all the old stuff stored up there was removed. The insulation runs between the joists and also horizontally across the joists, so now you can't tell where to place your foot on a joist to walk safely up there without risking coming through a ceiling.

I'd like to be able to store a few boxes up there - stuff like Christmas decorations and boxes of ornaments. I know it's not suitable for anything that would be affected by damp/cold.

What are the best type of boards to use to put down path or partial floor? I saw some plywood/chipboard ones in B&Q that came in a six pack of boards small enough to fit through trapdoor and have grooves on side so they slot together. But someone said don't go near B&Q or Woodies for something like that. Said best to get boards that are insulated on one side. But didn't tell me what they are called or where to get them.

And since insulation in attic runs across joists, would it be a problem putting boards on top? Would it compress the insulation too much making it less effective and/or trap moisture.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭denismc

I'm not sure why you would get insulated boards when you already have insulation in the attic.
    I used the B&Q ones and they are fine for light loads like Christmas decorations etc. You can also get plastic legs to attach to the boards so that the floor is raised above the insulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If you have a second layer of insulation at right angles to the joists on top of the 1st, how do you plan to put down chipboard?

You'll not be able to. It needs the joists to sit on, and you cant, or aren't meant to, compress insulation as it doesn't work as well if you do.

There is the option of little stands which raise up above the 2nd level of insulation, and onto which you could then lay down the boards. That's your only option from what I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭denismc

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ thats what I was talking about, I think B&Q sell them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭leck

NIMAN wrote: »
    Are those hammered into the joists? And do the boards just sit on top or are they tacked into the risers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 readymix111

I recently had this same issue in my attic, I wanted to floor the whole thing so I looked at those floor pegs and wasn't too happy with the price and I was a bit concerned about the load bearing of them. In the end I got lengths of 5X2 and ran them standing up going the other way across the existing joists then laid the loft boards on top. Nice job and handy enough, just make sure you have 3 lengths for the 1220mm length of the boards (top, bottom and one in the middle for support)

Advertisement