Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bought returned item unknowingly

Options
  • 15-11-2017 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭

I purchased an electrical item from a well known retailer, when I registered it said the warranty was activated in May. Can I return this item to get a new one? The item was not listed as refurbished/used.

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Is the electrical item an Xbox One and the retailer is a multinational retailer of video games and consoles?
    They've been caught doing this before, I'd advise you to contact the competition and consumer protection commission https://www.ccpc.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

Let me guess, the electrical item is an Xbox One and the retailer is a multinational retailer of video games and consoles?
    They've been caught doing this before, I'd advise you to contact the competition and consumer protection commission https://www.ccpc.ie/

It is an xbox but not from the specific retailer you mean. I'm not 100% sure it has been played with, just removed from the box for definite

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Lau2976 wrote: »
    It is an xbox but not from the specific retailer you mean. I'm not 100% sure it has been played with, just removed from the box for definite
    So you can't be 100% sure if it had been damaged and there's a reduced manufacturers warranty?
    What's not to like about the purchase?

kbannon wrote: »
    So you can't be 100% sure if it had been damaged and there's a reduced manufacturers warranty?
    What's not to like about the purchase?

Pretty much, I just wasn't sure I had a right to return

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭LeakingLava

Lau2976 wrote: »
    I purchased an electrical item from a well known retailer, when I registered it said the warranty was activated in May. Can I return this item to get a new one? The item was not listed as refurbished/used.

TIA

I know the case may be a little different, but, warranty is usually based on your proof of purchase. As long as you have proof of purchase for a certain date, warranty starts from that date. I had seen it happen before where someone I know had purchased a HP laptop and warranty stated that it was expired. The box was sealed and it was definitely brand new. Contacted HP and they readjusted the warranty once a copy of the proof of purchase was sent to them.

Not saying that yours is most likely brand new. Just stating that the warranty should stand from when the purchase was. However, if you are not comfortable with the item, you could attempt to return it. Was the box sealed? Was it on some sort of a setup when it was first connected up?

• Advertisement

I know the case may be a little different, but, warranty is usually based on your proof of purchase. As long as you have proof of purchase for a certain date, warranty starts from that date. I had seen it happen before where someone I know had purchased a HP laptop and warranty stated that it was expired. The box was sealed and it was definitely brand new. Contacted HP and they readjusted the warranty once a copy of the proof of purchase was sent to them.

Not saying that yours is most likely brand new. Just stating that the warranty should stand from when the purchase was. However, if you are not comfortable with the item, you could attempt to return it. Was the box sealed? Was it on some sort of a setup when it was first connected up?

Xbox have said that its based on first purchase, which on their system is a few months ago. They said they could try to get it changed.

The box was not sealed when I received it but I didn't collect it someone else did so I'll have to ask them whether they opened it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭LeakingLava

If I was in your position, I would definitely return it. Xbox has confirmed that it has been purchased previously so I would definitely not take it. Under EU law, you should be covered by warranty but my concern would be, what about after the warranty period? The item should still last a while longer, but of course, it's a little older than what it should be. I would probably be annoyed at the shop a little bit if I confirmed that it wasn't sealed when sold but wasn't notified it was returned stock.

Brought it back. I’m guessing I can name the retailer now? It was Argos. They apologized and took it back without any hassle.

I double checked the seal! :pac:

Advertisement