Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two Day Competition

Options
  • 16-11-2017 8:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭

Query re GUI competitions

What is the norm around other clubs in Ireland, does your club run one competition over two days to cater for members who cannot play on the normal Sunday competition i.e. a full Sunday competition with maybe two hours also open Saturday afternoon.

Appreciate your views.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

Our club runs both Saturdays and Sundays as one comp, but for handicap purposes days are calculated with different CSS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Hacker111 wrote: »

What is the norm around other clubs in Ireland, does your club run one competition over two days to cater for members who cannot play on the normal Sunday competition i.e. a full Sunday competition with maybe two hours also open Saturday afternoon.

Appreciate your views.

they do it for ladies comps in out place, but I've never heard it done for the men.

Essentially, ladies who can't make the weekday part of the comp can play their round on the weekend and have it count.

Personally, given the way weather etc can change, I think it's a bit ridiculous - although, saying that, weather can change from morning to afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

Jawgap wrote: »
    they do it for ladies comps in out place, but I've never heard it done for the men.

Essentially, ladies who can't make the weekday part of the comp can play their round on the weekend and have it count.

Personally, given the way weather etc can change, I think it's a bit ridiculous - although, saying that, weather can change from morning to afternoon.

This exactly ^^^

Just run a separate competition on Saturday and Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

Hacker111 wrote: »

Appreciate your views.

We have the Saturday Comp split between 3-4 hours on a Friday and then all day on Saturday. Each day has a different CSS but I'm not 100% sure how they split the prizes. For a standard Saturday comp, I don't mind too much but for the Medals, Captains etc the weather could play a massive difference depending on which day you play!

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

We did run all our weekend comps over the 2 days with separate SS for each day as per the rules. This year however our committee voted to having all our majors on the one day so we have a bit off both. I think some clubs that have one SS for 2 day comps which is not the way its meant to be done. We then run an open singles on the other day of the weekend to so that people unable to play on the day of a major at get competitive golf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭paulos53

Our club runs 2 separate competitions between Friday and Sunday.

Usually Friday is a 1 day competition and then there is a 2 day comp on Saturday & Sunday. However for monthly medal weekends the 2 day comp is run over Friday & Saturday and the medal is a single day event on Sunday.

The 2 competitions are played off different tees

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭slingerz

Our place does the same comp across Saturday and Sunday

Russman wrote: »
    This exactly ^^^

Just run a separate competition on Saturday and Sunday.

Actually, another point occurred to me - we change pin and tee positions pretty much every day, so while players in the morning and afternoon might have different weather/wind conditions to contend with - at least everyone in a one day comp starts and finishes from and at the same points.

One day, one comp would be my view - unless it's a 'proper' two day comp where you've to play two rounds and the aggregate decides the winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I think it is stupid.
    Comps should be run on one day. If you have to run it over 2 days, then just run 2 comps

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭searay

martinkop wrote: »
    Our club runs both Saturdays and Sundays as one comp, but for handicap purposes days are calculated with different CSS

Our club does the same for most weekly competitions. Majors are on one day. Suits clubs where the playing field is likely to be small and gives everybody a chance to play.

Conditions can be very different from one day to the other but the same thing can happen from morning to afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭SeanF

Almost all competitions are run over 2 days in our club. In fact, in some cases the competition is played over 3 days when players can opt to play on a friday.

I have absolutely no problem with it. If there was separate comps on each day, it would be much harder to get a teetime as some players would play every day*. It also means better prizes, rather than splitting it up into 2 (or 3) sets of prizes. Not to mention a bigger pot for the 2s. Also, it means the club only has to administer 1 competition and prizes each weekend.

Yes, the weather can vary between each day, but equally the weather can vary between morning and afternoon. If (like me) you can usually only play on a sunday morning, you can get lucky or unlucky. It balances itself out over the year.

If I think I can play either day, I usually check the weather forecast in detail to see when the best weather window might be. Again, I've no problem with this as it's something every player can do.

Same with my Dad's club, you can play on a saturday or sunday.

* you can actually put your name down on both days, but only the saturday score counts in the comp, though not that many people do this.

SeanF wrote: »
    If there was separate comps on each day, it would be much harder to get a teetime as some players would play every day*.

TBH I don't see an issue with people wanting to play both days at a weekend. I know if I'm paying €x amount for a membership, I want to be able to play Saturday and Sunday if I choose/can.

TBH I don't see an issue with people wanting to play both days at a weekend. I know if I'm paying €x amount for a membership, I want to be able to play Saturday and Sunday if I choose/can.
    Like I said, you can play both days, but only the first day is counted in the competition.

I think I'd be a bit miffed if there was only one comp over a weekend - i enjoy competitions and I'd be one of those greedy feckers who plays both days, if there is a different comp on each day - maybe there's a case for building a delay into the booking system so if you book on one day you're shut out for an hour before you can book on day #2 - to make sure the 'good' or desired tee times aren't monopolised by the same people week in, week out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,957 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Ours run over the two days during the winter to ensure everyone can get a game. One of the busiest courses in the country so while I don't really agree with it, it does make sense.

If you want to play competition both days you need to enter the 9 hole competition on either day.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

I would imagine the size of membership dictates policy in this regard in a lot of clubs.

I think I'd be a bit miffed if there was only one comp over a weekend - i enjoy competitions and I'd be one of those greedy feckers who plays both days, if there is a different comp on each day - maybe there's a case for building a delay into the booking system so if you book on one day you're shut out for an hour before you can book on day #2 - to make sure the 'good' or desired tee times aren't monopolised by the same people week in, week out.

Yea I'm the same.
    don't buy the arguement about there being no room on the sheet so it allows more people to play. its your club, you should be allowed to play 7 days a week if you get your name down quick nough.
    im not in a position to play both days at weekends, but if i was, i generally have no interest in just playing casual golf. being in a comp gives you some kind of goal to fight for. anyway, Sean even says they can play on both days, so nulifies his arguement that it would be easier to get on the sheet

bigger two's pot... yea but bigger pot = smaller payout. Think about it. Assume everyone enters & you are likely to have the same number of 2's on each day, say 20 with €2 entry fee. So 100 people play on sat, 100 on sunday, but on sunday 40 of those played on the sat, so €320 pot. 40 people get 2's over the 2 days, €8 each. As opposed to 2 pots of €100 and a payout of €9 per two

better prizes, not necessarily. a comp can be run with only a few people, you just don't have to give loads and loads of prizes.

interesting in those places, if you play the second day, do you still put your card in the box for handicap?

I would imagine the size of membership dictates policy in this regard in a lot of clubs.

possibly, but i've seen comps with as few as 10 people in them. just give a prize to the winner, why bother roll it into the next day and the next day. i just dont buy it.

For our 2 day comps we can enter both days. And yes, both cards are used for handicap adjustments.

paulos53 wrote: »
    For our 2 day comps we can enter both days. And yes, both cards are used for handicap adjustments.

are you entering comp twice?

what happens if your second game is only casual, do you still have to stick your card in?

• Advertisement

Yes, I enter the comp twice and submit both cards for handicap purposes.

If I was only playing a casual game then I wouldn't submit the card

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Macker1

My Club runs a separate comp both on a Sat and Sun. You can play in both if desired. In the case of a Major / Medal it will run over both days but your first round will be the one that counts in the Major / Medal.

Both the rounds on Sat and Sun are also in tandem separate comps so your card is counted for handicap purposes.

SeanF wrote: »
    Like I said, you can play both days, but only the first day is counted in the competition.

I get that alright, but (and I suppose it comes from what you're used to as well), lots of guys wouldn't want to play on the Sunday if it wasn't in a competition. I know I'd have little enough interest in a casual game on a Sunday when there's a competition going on around me.
    I realise different clubs have different traditions and ways of doing things, but personally I'd always want to have separate competitions on a Saturday and Sunday. If that's greedy, well then, colour me greedy !:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

I thought most clubs would run a comp over the two days of a weekend. I know one club where the comp opens Friday evening and runs over Sat and Sun. It's a pain if you want to play Sat & Sun but it means that if you do win a comp you get a decent prize rather then just a €30 voucher. As for the weather being different over two days, that's golf. You play the conditions as you get them. In our club this year the captains qualifiers werre run over two weekends, one was a monsoon, one 20 degrees. If you went out in the first weekend you had little chance of qualifying.

I thought most clubs would run a comp over the two days of a weekend. I know one club where the comp opens Friday evening and runs over Sat and Sun. It's a pain if you want to play Sat & Sun but it means that if you do win a comp you get a decent prize rather then just a €30 voucher. As for the weather being different over two days, that's golf. You play the conditions as you get them. In our club this year the captains qualifiers werre run over two weekends, one was a monsoon, one 20 degrees. If you went out in the first weekend you had little chance of qualifying.

That's true about the weather but what about tee and pin positions?

Likewise - our qualifiers tend to run over two days with half of the players qualifying for the final from each of the two days - so your chances are fairer and you don't suffer just because you happen to pick the 'bad' day - I'd also suggest that arrangements stops mass withdrawals once people see a bad forecast and decide to shift to the other day.

That's true about the weather but what about tee and pin positions?

Likewise - our qualifiers tend to run over two days with half of the players qualifying for the final from each of the two days - so your chances are fairer and you don't suffer just because you happen to pick the 'bad' day - I'd also suggest that arrangements stops mass withdrawals once people see a bad forecast and decide to shift to the other day.

If it's the same competition then pins etc shouldn't change. There should be no change at all to the course. Indeed, even go so far as saying there should be no grass cut.

For qualifying over 2 weekends, it really doesn't make any sense to have the top 100 or whatever to get the qualifying spots. Makes much more sense and would be fair if it is the top 50 on each day. I don't know why it would be done any other way

Seve OB wrote: »
    If it's the same competition then pins etc shouldn't change. There should be no change at all to the course. Indeed, even go so far as saying there should be no grass cut.

For qualifying over 2 weekends, it really doesn't make any sense to have the top 100 or whatever to get the qualifying spots. Makes much more sense and would be fair if it is the top 50 on each day. I don't know why it would be done any other way
    Yeah, that's what is done at my club. Pin and tee positions don't change.

Also, if it's a qualifying weekend for the Captain's Prize, then it's the top x number of player on each day (pro-rata based on how many are playing each day).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Seve OB wrote: »

No greens cut? Seriously? You're having a laugh :D:D

Surely by cutting the greens each morning you are maintaining the same conditions throughout the compectition, no?

Advertisement