Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much do you save a month?

• 16-11-2017 8:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭A Battered Mars Bar

Me about €1,100 on averge. Just wondering how this compares to everyone else and people who are saving for mortgages either on their own or with a partner.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

We're single income at the moment (mine), so I don't save as much as I'd like. I usually manage around 200 - 400, depending on the month. I'm also enrolled in the company share purchasing scheme, and the pension scheme, but I couldn't honestly tell you how much this is each month.
    We're thankfully not saving for a mortgage, we're in the process of paying one off instead. The savings are just for hard times and unexpected expenses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

About 800 a month max, that's all I can afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Cue the headlong rush to either outright gloating or humble bragging. With a sprinkle of woe is me.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

About a tenner last month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Me about €1,100 on averge. Just wondering how this compares to everyone else and people who are saving for mortgages either on their own or with a partner.

You won't be able to make much of a comparison in monetary terms, but rather it would tell you more to look at the percentage of income put into savings, and then the percentage of the mortgage which those savings will be used as a deposit. Not much use for example if your income is €1,100 a month and you're eyeballing a property for €600k!

I'm not saving for a mortgage as I don't plan on taking out a mortgage, let alone buying property. I put aside a significant proportion of my income though in savings because I predict that the cost of my child's third-level education will be the guts of a small mortgage! :pac:

• Advertisement

Did we not just do a saving thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

What is this save you speak of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

About 2-fiddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Thinly disguised "I'm minted and have hundreds left over at the end of the month" thread!!!!!

Bout 3 fiddy is about all I have left lol - E3.50 that is!

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Bitches Be Trypsin

About 40% of all income. I don't know why, maybe to learn to drive!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Some of the replies make me wonder: "How much do you earn a month?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

My outgoings as a % of net income:

Savings: 31%
    Mortgage: 28%
    Bills excluding food: 13%
    Discretionary: 28%

I include food in discretionary rather than bills as I like to spend money on good ingredients or eating out. Cooking is a hobby so I view it as a luxury rather than a bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

What ever I have left in the current account the night before my monthly earnings get paid in gets transferred to the saving fund.

Varies from month to month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭optogirl

My rent is 60% of my income so saving is tough but I try to put a couple of hundred away each month - in my fantasies that's towards a mortgage but a bank wont lend to someone with savings so low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

...With a sprinkle of woe is me.

/sobs

I'll be back with a more substantial post shortly...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

When you ask, "how much do you save a month?" is there any particular time frame it's meant to be saved for, to be considered saving it?
    optogirl wrote: »
    My rent is 60% of my income so saving is tough but I try to put a couple of hundred away each month - in my fantasies that's towards a mortgage but a bank wont lend to someone with savings so low.

With the way things are, you're just saving now to pay higher rent later on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

But if you get a deposit doesn't the rent work in your favor?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

TallGlass wrote: »
    But if you get a deposit doesn't the rent work in your favor?

She's suggesting she doesn't have enough for one and likely won't.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

225 per month. 100 goes on prizebonds, another hundred into a bank of Ireland account, 25 into an aib account. I was feeding boi money into aib for a good while, but had to empty it for some home improvements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

My outgoings as a % of net income:

Savings: 31%
    Mortgage: 28%
    Bills excluding food: 13%
    Discretionary: 28%

I include food in discretionary rather than bills as I like to spend money on good ingredients or eating out. Cooking is a hobby so I view it as a luxury rather than a bill.

You're an accountant - right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

I used to be able to save nearly €2000 a month about 5 years ago when I was working loads of OT and was saving for a mortgage

Now I'm paying off a mortgage for a house I no longer live it (relationship fell apart)
    and I've child care costs to add to that
    plus I've also now got to pay rent for a room that I am living in.

So I'm WAY down on what I can save.

You might think that "I'm sorted" in terms of savings and the future because things are great now.
    But believe me, speaking as someone "who knows", it can all go to sh*t very quickly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I aim to save at least 30% of my income per month.
    beertons wrote: »
    100 goes on prizebonds

Ever win anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

since the sproglet came along, not a dot. In fact, the savings are being used to make ends meet. Mat leave is almost over. . .

Marona wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about your relationship breaking down, but for me, I won't be leaving the home I'm paying a mortgage on, simple as that.

No option to sell the house?

I'm not broken up, but if we did break up, I would not leave the house that I'm paying the mortgsge on.

Sorry, I meant the previous poster. I dunno if I would like to stay in a house with an ex, how would that work? Better option would for me to be sell and go separate ways. With a kid involved is it better just that you know they have a roof over there heads? Flip side is, what if a new partner moved into them with you paying the mortgage on that house.

Really is a hard situation to be in, hard calls to be honest.

I dunno, maybe for me first port of call would be to seek legal advise on the situation. Maybe something along the lines of get them to take over mortgage and myself moving to maintenance P/M.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

TallGlass wrote: »
    Sorry, I meant the previous poster. I dunno if I would like to stay in a house with an ex, how would that work? Better option would for me to be sell and go separate ways. With a kid involved is it better just that you know they have a roof over there heads? Flip side is, what if a new partner moved into them with you paying the mortgage on that house.

Really is a hard situation to be in, hard calls to be honest.

I dunno, maybe for me first port of call would be to seek legal advise on the situation. Maybe something along the lines of get them to take over mortgage and myself moving to maintenance P/M.

Yep very tough calls to make ahead. I wasn't the person in the wrong mind you.
    Sorry to hear about your relationship breaking down, but for me, I won't be leaving the home I'm paying a mortgage on, simple as that.

Sometimes it's not that simple.

But I may need to look at moving back in.

Regardless this is not Personal Issues LOL!

All I'm saying is this was a massive hyper wake up kick in the balls for me.
    I was saving loads, 2 or 3 holidays a year, nice house, new motorcycle.
    Everything was Rosey but in the space of a few short months everything went to sh*t

So just to the OP, just cause you can save €1100 now, do not make future decisions on the assumption that you'll always have an excess of €1100 a month to fall back on.
    I did this and it's really come back to haunt me.

Nothing lasts forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

begbysback wrote: »
    You're an accountant - right?

I'm great fun at parties. I promise.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

I spend all my money on booze, drugs, and women. The rest I squander.

grahambo wrote: »
    So just to the OP, just cause you can save €1100 now, do not make future decisions on the assumption that you'll always have an excess of €1100 a month to fall back on.

Nothing lasts forever.

I'd agree, even saving 3,000 now P/M in the grand scheme of things is really fúck all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Sweet **** all :pac:

I don't feel too bad about it though. My salary is in the low 30s, I'm supporting myself in Dublin on that. Still paying off my masters loan. When that gets paid off I'll just put that money into savings instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Iv got €30 to last me till the 28th

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

Absolutely nothing - simply because I can't.

If I ever get sick and can't work for a period of time - My family is fooked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

I have 7 kids. The idea of savings is an alien concept to us. I do earn a decent enough wage and we could definitely do with trimming some of the needless expenses (take aways and other silly wastes of money that help the week go by)... Savings though? No hope.

• Advertisement

I have 7 kids. The idea of savings is an alien concept to us. I do earn a decent enough wage and we could definitely do with trimming some of the needless expenses (take aways and other silly wastes of money that help the week go by)... Savings though? No hope.

Can you afford condoms?

7 kids! Wow! That must be tough going, particularly at dinner time. :)

Hope you don't mind the very personal question, but.... Did you plan on having 7 kids?

We can comfortably afford to have 2 kids in the future, assuming there are no sudden unexpected changes in personal circumstances- loss of earnings, serious illness etc. We could possibly afford a third, but the plan is to have max 2 kids - assuming we're lucky enough.

Don't feel under pressure to respond to the question. I'm just curious :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

And here I was thinking I was great by saving €20 a week into the credit union:(

7 kids! Wow! That must be tough going, particularly at dinner time. :)

Hope you don't mind the very personal question, but.... Did you plan on having 7 kids?

We can comfortably afford to have 2 kids in the future, assuming there are no sudden unexpected changes in personal circumstances- loss of earnings, serious illness etc. We could possibly afford a third, but the plan is to have max 2 kids - assuming we're lucky enough.

Don't feel under pressure to respond to the question. I'm just curious :)

No. It wasn't the plan. I had 3 kids from a previous relationship as did she... And then we had one together. It's tough going, and far from ideal. But we anticipate that as the children get older, life should get slightly easier.
    And we aren't living on the breadline the either .... They all own iphones, iPads, PlayStations and wear nice clothes.... But sometimes it's nice to think about all the spare cash we'd have without them. Ha.
    Wouldn't change them for the world to be fair. We've been lucky in that they have great attitudes and they understand that some of the luxuries of other families are out of reach of us for the minute (foriegn holidays is the one we all wish for most)
    Ah well, it is what it is. You have to play the hand you're dealt. Mine forces me to work 60-84 hours a week.

These stories you hear about people on social having 8/9 kids is insane to me. I have no idea how they survive with any quality of life.

Going on your user icon, having 7 kids in the "South" as you call it seems like you're trying to revive the plantations ffs

• Advertisement

Going on your user icon, having 7 kids in the "South" as you call it seems like you're trying to revive the plantations ffs

I'm Irish. I don't understand your point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Less than 20% of my net income, just 450 pm.

Not great, hoping to increase it in Jan 2018.

Of course, repaying loans is also saving, and that figure is 650 pm for me.

So really I'm saving 1,100 pm.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

c_man wrote: »
    I aim to save at least 30% of my income per month.

Ever win anything?

Not yet. But I know it's safe, and I can withdraw it with a bit of notice. Built up a nice sum.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

2 kids, high rent and my wife is unemployed. Savings? Would ya get to f*ck.

I'm Irish. I don't understand your point.

Neither do I really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

beertons wrote: »
    Not yet. But I know it's safe, and I can withdraw it with a bit of notice. Built up a nice sum.

But then you're actually losing money on inflation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭A Battered Mars Bar

grahambo wrote: »

Nothing lasts forever.

Painfully aware of that. No way of being secure in this country until you own a house or apartment which I no where near do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭JenovaProject

Nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

My rent is 60% of my income so saving is tough

:eek:

Is that right? I know rents aren't great but I can't quite figure out how that would be possible.....paying very high rent and have a minimum wage or something not far off? Or else have an OK job but paying for an entire place by yourself?

I don't specifically save any particular amount. I do have savings though, I just spend whatever's needed and the pile slowly accumulates.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭LewisR

Save €2000 p/m. €500 p/w of my €1100 weekly wages into the Credit Union.

Haven't a clue what I've saved up. Well over €150k anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement