Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jingle Bells 5k 2017

Options
  • 16-11-2017 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Hi

I entered this race as I've heard its fast however I cant find previous years results anywhere to compare. The championchip ireland site is way out of date and only has a handful of results. Anyone know where to find the results of the previous 2 years? This is just for curiosity sake really.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

I had a quick look and can't find the results either even though there are results pages on myrunresults.com and Donore's website.

I can tell you that it's a very fast course. The last roughly 2km are solidly downhill and the finish line is probably about 30-40m lower than the start line, so it's a great one for a PB!
    From memory John Travers won last year in 14.08 or something like that, and Ciara Mageean was first woman at sub 16.

ETA: I found the article from Donore Harriers but the results link is dead. It gives the top results in the article though. www.donoreharriers.com/2016/12/2217

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Mos Eisley

Thanks Benjamin, I found the article on Donore's site regarding 1st male and Female. I was looking to compare results against lads a bit further back! From looking at the course profile it does seem very fast. I'll give it a lash anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Mos Eisley wrote: »
    Thanks Benjamin, I found the article on Donore's site regarding 1st male and Female. I was looking to compare results against lads a bit further back! From looking at the course profile it does seem very fast. I'll give it a lash anyway.

I ran a PB there last year, can't remember exact time, but about 19.40, I think - my previous best had been about 19.52. You're probably a lot faster (your name sounds fast :)), but you could work out what percentage faster you might be, maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Donore Harriers

benjamin d wrote: »
    I had a quick look and can't find the results either even though there are results pages on myrunresults.com and Donore's website.

I can tell you that it's a very fast course. The last roughly 2km are solidly downhill and the finish line is probably about 30-40m lower than the start line, so it's a great one for a PB!
    From memory John Travers won last year in 14.08 or something like that, and Ciara Mageean was first woman at sub 16.

ETA: I found the article from Donore Harriers but the results link is dead. It gives the top results in the article though. www.donoreharriers.com/2016/12/2217

Think these should be most update for 2016. 2015 and 2014 also here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I think €21.40 for a 5k is taking the P a bit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

RasTa wrote: »

Closing roads on a Saturday morning in early December in the Phoenix Park don't come for free. It's one of the best races on the Irish racing calendar, run it and see if you get your monies worth.

The only thing I have major issue with is that if it's going to cost 21.40 bloody tell us it's going to cost 21.40, not €20 followed by a hidden charge. The airlines were made to stop this so I don't understand how ticket and event sellers still get away with it.

An issue for another day of course but something that should be taken on board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Always a bit baffled by the distance angle of complaining about pricing. We don't get charged by the mile. While €21.40 is pricy sadly it has become the norm with people looking for chip timing, elaborate medals and all the bells and whistles that detract from an actual race. I would pay 20e for a well run 5k than a sh!tty Half marathon.
    The only thing I have major issue with is that if it's going to cost 21.40 bloody tell us it's going to cost 21.40, not €20 followed by a hidden charge. The airlines were made to stop this so I don't understand how ticket and event sellers still get away with it.

An issue for another day of course but something that should be taken on board.

To be fair its specifically stated that it excludes admin fee. Its not a hidden charge either as its a separate company which takes the entries just like most races in this country. This was half the reason why precision timing got into so much hot water before it went belly up as it had not paid out many of the races which it owed money to that had been collected on behalf of races.

http://www.donoreharriers.com/jingle-bells-5k/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Always a bit baffled by the distance angle of complaining about pricing. We don't get charged by the mile. While €21.40 is pricy sadly it has become the norm with people looking for chip timing, elaborate medals and all the bells and whistles that detract from an actual race. I would pay 20e for a well run 5k than a sh!tty Half marathon.

Don't forget the mug! the mug!!!! This will be my 4th mug :pac:. Totally agree it's a fantastic race and any profits made go back to the club, I'm perfectly happy to help them with their fundraising even if their singlet looks like ours which makes supporting confusing :p.

To be fair its specifically stated that it excludes admin fee. Its not a hidden charge either as its a separate company which takes the entries just like most races in this country. This was half the reason why precision timing got into so much hot water before it went belly up as it had not paid out many of the races which it owed money to that had been collected on behalf of races.

I'm not complaining about the charge in itself, I'm saying that they know it will be added on so should list that as the price rather than saying it's 20 euro when it'll cost 21.40. This is exactly what the airlines were forced to stop doing so I don't know why it wasn't implemented across the board for online purchases. As I said though, it's nothing to do with this thread so I'll leave it at that.

Edit: I also have no complaint about the value of this race either, it's just a pet peeve re:charging.

• Advertisement

I'm not complaining about the charge in itself, I'm saying that they know it will be added on so should list that as the price rather than saying it's 20 euro when it'll cost 21.40. This is exactly what the airlines were forced to stop doing so I don't know why it wasn't implemented across the board for online purchases. As I said though, it's nothing to do with this thread so I'll leave it at that.

Edit: I also have no complaint about the value of this race either, it's just a pet peeve re:charging.

I am guessing that the race don't want people thinking the extra bit is going to them. Unlike airlines this is a completely separate entity involved rather than simply trying to hide the fact that the taxes are not included in the price.

The club?! I though it was a 50% charity run, that price is even worse now.

I'm doing the Den Hagg half for €24 and you get all of the above.

It's why I won't bother with many Irish races in the future and I prefer going abroad for a weekend. I'll do a parkrun for free instead.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

What would be the problem with a running club organizing a race to generate funds ? It's not like anyone is pocketing money here it is all going straight back into the sport.

Also €20 is about standard for a 5K in Dublin I think. Similar races would be Rathfarnham, Tallaght, MSB.

All of those would be in the €15 to €20 range. There is no point comparing with Parkrun as that is completely different, not even a race. If you just want a 5k run then you can do that for free any time you want.

Personally I think these races are great value and also in most cases are crucial to keeping these clubs going. Parkruns are great but I'd hate to see quality races such as this fall by the wayside if people feel they are the same as a parkrun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

If you need a pub guide give me a shout, available at a very cheap price!!!!

OOnegative wrote: »
    If you need a pub guide give me a shout, available at a very cheap price!!!!

I'll probably head back to Amsterdam and hit the Troost or Oedipus taphouse. Maybe De Molen.

Yeah if it's for the club, €15 cash in hand is plenty.

It's why I won't bother with many Irish races in the future and I prefer going abroad for a weekend. I'll do a parkrun for free instead.

You manage to get a flight to holland for 2.60? Otherwise it still works out cheaper.

Irony is that funds raised by clubs probably do a lot more than paying into some charities board or worse et the charity races who give approx 1-2% to charity to allow them to advertise as such. dunno why people begrudge clubs trying to survive many of them provide a vital service to the community

You manage to get a flight to holland for 2.60? Otherwise it still works out cheaper.

Irony is that funds raised by clubs probably do a lot more than paying into some charities board so dunno why people begrudge clubs trying to survive many of them provide a vital service to the community

It's a 21 v 5k race. Costing almost the same.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

You are not really comparing like with like, different countries, early bird price for the half (prices rises to €30 for the half closer to the race), everything from T-Shirt to Bag drop costs extra in the half in the Nederlands. You seem to be dismissing the club race because the club is using it for fundraising but happy to enter a big race abroad which is going to cost you much more when logistics are taken into account.

I've no issue with any of that but it seems a bit much to be using it as a stick to beat an excellent race like the Jungle Bells 5k.

It's a 21 v 5k race. Costing almost the same.

Should check out Torrevieja half marathon in Feb even cheaper than De Haag (15e last time I did it) if it's about money (great organised race in itself)

Comparing country to country doesn't take into account cost of insurance, road closures licence etc you could prob find even cheaper again in Kenya (think I remember hearing about halves for less than a 6e equivalent)

I'll just compare European running events. You don't get a tshirt do ye? Also some big name sponsors or supporters on the webpage. I just prefer the Dutch or other European nations mentality towards running events compared to the Irish rip offs.
    adrian522 wrote: »
    You are not really comparing like with like, different countries, early bird price for the half (prices rises to €30 for the half closer to the race), everything from T-Shirt to Bag drop costs extra in the half in the Nederlands. You seem to be dismissing the club race because the club is using it for fundraising but happy to enter a big race abroad which is going to cost you much more when logistics are taken into account.

I've no issue with any of that but it seems a bit much to be using it as a stick to beat an excellent race like the Jungle Bells 5k.

Exactly, this is a 5k. Hell the Disneyland 5k only costs €35

• Advertisement

I'll just compare European running events. You don't get a tshirt do ye? Also some big name sponsors or supporters on the webpage. I just prefer the Dutch or other European nations mentality towards running events compared to the Irish rip offs.

Exactly, this is a 5k. Hell the Disneyland 5k only costs €35

No one is forcing you to sign up.

For anyone reading this thread thinking about jingle bells don't hesitate to sign up. It's a great race organized by professionals and the atmosphere is brilliant too. If you want a pb, this is your race. Good depth of field, good prizes, good post race feed.

Rasta enjoy your trip to the Netherlands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Jingle Bells is a class race, recognised as one of the best in the country.

And a club benefits so ticks all the boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Jingle bells is one of the best 5k races out there.

It's also a 5k I can't get a sub 20 on even though other courses I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Does this sell out, can't commit to it yet but would like to give it a lash

TbL

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Comparing the cost of races in Ireland to elsewhere is futile. Costs a lot more to put a race on here than in other countries. Any commercial organisation who runs races in multiple countries could tell you that. It was one of the reasons Ironman Galway did not continue after the 2011(?) race.

Donore do not state anywhere that this is a charity race with funds going to a charity. The club is fundraising for the club. Do you know how much it costs to keep an athletics club going? Where do you think an athletics club gets money from? Races like this are the main fundraisers for clubs, any club that puts on a race will generally be using the profits from the race to go towards the keeping the club running. The club is the 'charity'.

€20 is fine IMO for a 5k and about what I'd be happy to pay, plenty of commercial races out there who charge in the region of €30 or more.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'll probably head back to Amsterdam and hit the Troost or Oedipus taphouse. Maybe De Molen.

Yeah if it's for the club, €15 cash in hand is plenty.

Clubs don't get anywhere near what the entry fee is back. Chip timing (massively expensive), portaloos (there are a required amount they have to have), road closures, garda, insurance...just for starters.

TbL

There should still be entry on the day, there usually is. Email I got tonight suggested that will be the case this year also. €25 for entry on the day ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

TbL

I think it was possible to enter on the day the past couple of years. Come on down, you love the Park anyway (plus you’d make a fine target to chase).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Just to add, this is a fantastic race and worth every penny of the €20 (+ €1.40) for any serious runner/jogger looking for a fast 5k. Well organised, great depth of field, fast course. I'm sad that I'm missing it again this year but can only hope I'll get to run it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Murph_D wrote: »
    I think it was possible to enter on the day the past couple of years. Come on down, you love the Park anyway (plus you’d make a fine target to chase).

Tnx Murph & RQ,

Heard great things about this race but it's a long way to travel for 21 minutes running :)

That said I can't see anything more local and I'd like to have a cut at a decent 5k

TbL

• Advertisement

Tnx Murph & RQ,

Heard great things about this race but it's a long way to travel for 21 minutes running :)

That said I can't see anything more local and I'd like to have a cut at a decent 5k

TbL

There's usually drinks in Ryan's (I think) or has been in the past. I hear they do a good steak sambo too :)

Advertisement