Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fees not disclosed

Options
  • 16-11-2017 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭

I attended a clinic earlier in the year and had a quick test done. When checking in I was told the fee for the day was X amount and also asked to sign an insurance form "just in case".

Fast forward 5 and a half months and I get a bill for several hundred telling me its still outstanding. After speaking to their accounts department it would appear that they "presumed" they could land this extra amount on my insurance company without disclosing it to me or them at the time.

They are now expecting me to pay it !! Where do I stand on this ? I would think the sale Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act could cover this but I'm not sure how.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

Did you sign anything that detailed these extra charges, or giving them permission to run additional tests aside from the one you went in for and paid for? If you didn't, then it would seem they are trying to pull a fast one, and they can't force you to pay. If that insurance form you signed detailed other tests that would be carried out, and the costs involved, then you may have to pay it. The only come back you'd have in that case is that they didn't explain what you were signing for, and this would be a case of sharp practice on their part, which is not allowed (I think). How to fight it though, is another thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Did you sign anything that detailed these extra charges, or giving them permission to run additional tests aside from the one you went in for and paid for? If you didn't, then it would seem they are trying to pull a fast one, and they can't force you to pay. If that insurance form you signed detailed other tests that would be carried out, and the costs involved, then you may have to pay it. The only come back you'd have in that case is that they didn't explain what you were signing for, and this would be a case of sharp practice on their part, which is not allowed (I think). How to fight it though, is another thing.

No I signed nothing detailing the extra charges. I paid the fee on the day and thought that was that.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

In that case, I'd tell them to go swing for their money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

I would suggest that what they charged you on the day was the excess on your policy , assuming your insurance would cover the main portion.
    Why do you think they requested you to sign the insurance form...”just in case”
    In case of what precisely?
    If the total was payable by you, then no need to sign form.
    If you are not covered by the procedure then who should pay?
    Did you ask your insurance in advance if you would be covered?
    To follow up on this you will need to get a copy of their terms and conditions together with forms signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

The insurance form looks like a grey area but as no additional charges were outlined to you and you have a receipt for your payment made I would politely advise them that you discharged their requested fee on the day and that the matter is closed from your perspective. If they get arsey simply request what you know they don't have i.e. your signed contract with them stating the amount they are claiming you owe. Then suggest a flying jump.

Speaking of insurance forms, I was in (albeit a hospital not a clinic) and offered a choice of two forms to sign - one where they could claim 80euro from VHI and a separate one where they could claim 750euro (for the exact same procedure) - some form of loophole. The look on her face when I told her I don't believe in fraud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Same thing happened to me in Beaumont. I paid the upfront fee and was told the rest would be billed to my health insurer. In the interim I switched health insurer and a couple of months later got bill for the excess (in my case it was very small). The first I heard of it was a debt collection letter so I remonstrated with them and they wrote it off.

Advertisement