Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up company while in full time employment

Options
  • 16-11-2017 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

As the thread title says - I'm thinking of setting up my own company, but am in full time employment (Mon - Fri, 9am - 6pm).

I would need to stay in full time employment for the foreseeable future and would be setting up in my spare time (evenings & weekends).

I'm not sure of the tax implications assuming I start making money, whether to set up as a sole trader, Ltd. company etc. etc.

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 190 ✭✭baldtooyoung

tempnam wrote: »
    As the thread title says - I'm thinking of setting up my own company, but am in full time employment (Mon - Fri, 9am - 6pm).

I would need to stay in full time employment for the foreseeable future and would be setting up in my spare time (evenings & weekends).

I'm not sure of the tax implications assuming I start making money, whether to set up as a sole trader, Ltd. company etc. etc.

Any advice appreciated.

I'm in the same boat. I have my real life job and am also set up as a sole trader only since mid September. Are you worried about the tax you pay from your job? Payroll look after that as normal. Anything outside that is self assessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭tempnam

I'm in the same boat. I have my real life job and am also set up as a sole trader only since mid September. Are you worried about the tax you pay from your job? Payroll look after that as normal. Anything outside that is self assessed.

Not so much 'worried' - more like clueless to be honest!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 190 ✭✭baldtooyoung

tempnam wrote: »
    Not so much 'worried' - more like clueless to be honest!

Don't worry.I was worried too.I rang revenue,I think I asked on here too.

Your job still look after your paye,prsi,usc and all that bad terrible stuff we pay every month.

Anything earned outside of that is up to you to declare.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Paddy001

What is the business sector and likely trading levels?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,180 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Enterprise Board?

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

If you earn under 5k Net you can stay in the PAYE system and file a Form 12 each year.

If you go over 5k you must register for income Tax and Ros. You will then file a Form 11 each year by the 31st Oct or 14th Nov if using Ros.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

One of the biggest issues is ensuring that there's nothing in your current contract of employment that prevents you working for yourself (and that you own any IP that you create).

Advertisement