Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Qualifying and handicaps

Options
  • 16-11-2017 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭

Lads, I have been told that qualifying is over so my understanding is that you cant be cut as placing is in place in rough and fairways.

I still see golfers been cut in my club even though qualifying is over, should this be the case?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

kopkidda wrote: »
    Lads, I have been told that qualifying is over so my understanding is that you cant be cut as placing is in place in rough and fairways.

I still see golfers been cut in my club even though qualifying is over, should this be the case?

you can still have qualifying with placing on fairways only. my understanding is when you get placing or even drop in rough, then it can't be qualifying

some courses, especially links, will have qualifying nearly all year long

some clubs will have some sort of winter cuts to handicaps/scores so the same fella isn't winning every week! i suspect this might be your case

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭kopkidda

And if you get winter cuts and your handicap goes down, does it go back to what it was when qualifying starts back up?

And if you get winter cuts and your handicap goes down, does it go back to what it was when qualifying starts back up?

Some clubs have internal cuts over the winter or if a winter league or something is running. It doesn't affect the players score for the league but would for the competition of the day.

You could also have people playing in opens on links courses getting cut at this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭kopkidda

Exactly wrote: »
    Some clubs have internal cuts over the winter or if a winter league or something is running. It doesn't affect the players score for the league but would for the competition of the day.

You could also have people playing in opens on links courses getting cut at this time of year.

Sound, but if you get an internal cut now does that mean that your GUI handicap is cut aswell?

Sound, but if you get an internal cut now does that mean that your GUI handicap is cut aswell?

No just internal to the whatever competitions the Club deems necessary. Your GUI handicap is unchanged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

No, you'll go back to GUI handicap for qualifying events.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

No, if you are cut during non qualifying then it is normally a 'general play' cut decided by the handicap committee. It will still reduce your official handicap.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Our club have non-qualifying cuts over the winter. Everyone is reset in the spring once qualifying starts again unless the might have a 'general play' cut at end of year review.

backspin. wrote: »
    No, if you are cut during non qualifying then it is normally a 'general play' cut decided by the handicap committee. It will still reduce your official handicap.

No it won't reduce your official handicap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Seve OB wrote: »
    No it won't reduce your official handicap

Hein ?
    A general play cut, whether through end of year review or otherwise, is a reduction of your official handicap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,609 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Placing on the fairways can still be qualifying. As a general rule only when you touch the ball in the rough and/or bunkers are out of play it becomes non-qualifying.

Some clubs have winter-handicaps if you want to call them that. They are internal only and are separate from your actual GUI handicap. Prevents the usual suspects from cleaning up in the non-qualifying winter comps. Not to be confused with general play cuts which are 'real'.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 reax

As a Handicap Secretary I can verify that a General Play cut in winter does affect your GUI handicap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

reax wrote: »
    As a Handicap Secretary I can verify that a General Play cut in winter does affect your GUI handicap

Think posters are getting mixed up between a General Play cut and an internal non qualifying competitions cut.

A General Play cut is issued by a handicap secretary and will dictate a player's new GUI handicap which will remain in place come the following spring when the usual qualifying handicap procedures begin.

An internal non-qualifying cut may be used by a competitions committee to reduce a golfer's points throughout the winter time when competitions are non-qualifying. So for example, at my club, if you win a competition on a Thursday in your category, you will be minus 1 point for the next Thursday you play. If you win again, you will be minus 3 points. This has no effect on the golfer's GUI handicap.
    It's a good system as it prevents those golfers who go on a summer vacation returning from their exodus and accumulating a bunch of vouchers over the winter months.

HighLine wrote: »
    Think posters are getting mixed up between a General Play cut and an internal non qualifying competitions cut.

A General Play cut is issued by a handicap secretary and will dictate a player's new GUI handicap which will remain in place come the following spring when the usual qualifying handicap procedures begin.

An internal non-qualifying cut may be used by a competitions committee to reduce a golfer's points throughout the winter time when competitions are non-qualifying. So for example, at my club, if you win a competition on a Thursday in your category, you will be minus 1 point for the next Thursday you play. If you win again, you will be minus 3 points. This has no effect on the golfer's GUI handicap.
    It's a good system as it prevents those golfers who go on a summer vacation returning from their exodus and accumulating a bunch of vouchers over the winter months.

this

Advertisement