Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2018

• 16-11-2017 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭

Any fancies for the upcoming WC now that we know all the teams? Only market at the moment in most bookies seems to be for outright winner, the others will come soon I'm sure.

Germany and Brazil are joint favourites at 5/1, so favourites a little longer than last couple of times round where iirc correctly they were 4/1 (Spain in 2010 and Brazil in 2014).

Fancy the Germans myself.

Portugal at 20/1 could be worth a punt, they showed themselves to be attritional and difficult to beat in the Euros which can bring you a long way in tournament football.

Some of the African team are very long odds, would fancy a punt on one or two to make the semis.

Any expert insights or teams / players to watch?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Division

Really don't think Germany should be joint favourites at all.

I don't know enough about all the teams to offer an opinion on the odds so will stick to betting individual games.

There may be group bets that look decent - draw is 1st December.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 103 ✭✭JoshRosen

Ive been putting €10 a week on Brazil @ 5/1 since the draw was made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

JoshRosen wrote: »
    Ive been putting €10 a week on Brazil @ 5/1 since the draw was made.

Why €10 a week instead of one big lump at 5s in case the price goes down?

callaway92 wrote: »
    Why €10 a week instead of one big lump at 5s in case the price goes down?

This way it doesn’t feel like a lump if you get me? 10er a week for say 15-20weeks feels a lot less money than €1500 straight. Just me though, how I like to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 823 ✭✭✭who what when

This way it doesn’t feel like a lump if you get me? 10er a week for say 15-20weeks feels a lot less money than €1500 straight. Just me though, how I like to do it.

A tenner a week for 20 weeks is a lot less money than €1500 lump sum. By about €1300!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭piplip87

Fancy the French myself.

A tenner a week for 20 weeks is a lot less money than €1500 lump sum. By about €1300!

Beg your pardon, Had the returns in my head, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭rekluse

gonna start backing France and Brazil weekly when January pay check hits , can't see past them for the winners.

rekluse wrote: »
    gonna start backing France and Brazil weekly when January pay check hits , can't see past them for the winners.

Me either but I know closer to the time I’ll have my head scrambled by Argentina. Messi & Ronaldo last World Cup, is it possible both never win it?

Me either but I know closer to the time I’ll have my head scrambled by Argentina. Messi & Ronaldo last World Cup, is it possible both never win it?

Can't see it myself, but would be hard to begrudge either a World Cup, even if it did cost me a few bob!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭scouttio

When are the squads usually announced? Oxlade Chamberlain is 5/6 on Ladbrokes to make the England squad. Looks like great value to me. He's been playing well lately, he's getting more game time now that coutinho has left a starting spot open and he's versatile which is valuable for squad fillers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

scouttio wrote: »
    When are the squads usually announced? Oxlade Chamberlain is 5/6 on Ladbrokes to make the England squad. Looks like great value to me. He's been playing well lately, he's getting more game time now that coutinho has left a starting spot open and he's versatile which is valuable for squad fillers.

His versatility and goal threat should be enough to get him in. I'd be shocked if he doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    scouttio wrote: »

His versatility and goal threat should be enough to get him in. I'd be shocked if he doesn't.

Versatility yes, goal threat no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Peru .........370.29 ..... €120.00 ..... €44,315.00
    Japan ...... 488.24 ....... €10.00 ....... €4,872.40

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Nearer the start I will probably have a bet on Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭CrabieCrawford

Anyone know when the racing post world cup pullout is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

https://shop1.racingpost.com/products/racing-post-world-cup-guide-2018

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

just got that. good shout. Michael Cox has great analysis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I'll be throwing some money in small increments on mid to long odds teams via exchange; hoping a few of them get to the second round and hedging out after that. I expect odds to slash dramatically for outside shots that qualify for the second round, particularly as they'll just have enjoyed two good results to do it. Potentially some easy money to be made, and chance of a nice ride if one of your picks get to a QF or beyond...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Egypt/Poland/Denmark to make it out of groups just over 5/1
    Saudi/Panama both to finish bottom just over evens
    Brazil top S.A team evens

All bets i'm thinking about.

• Advertisement

I'm thinking :

Group A - Uruguay Qualify
    Group B - Spain win
    Group C - France win
    Group D - Croatia Qualify
    Group E - Brazil win
    Group F - Germany win
    Group G - England qualify
    Group H - Colombia qualify
    Champions League Final - Both teams to score

Pays 14/1 - Anyone any thoughts?

Might leave France out. Have a niggling feeling about them as they are a usually quite slow starters and quite a young team, that would bring it back to 10/1. Any reason you fancy Denmark Shano ? Looked at the squad there and it doesn't look that great bar Erikson. Also just noticed Cahill in the Aussie squad, his 4th world cup @ 38 years old!

Don't like Denmark for that group at all. Peru are a decent side who I'd fancy to get thru

Anyone seeing any value in the ‘Top team goalscorer’ markets? Isco could be a good shout for Spain at 5/1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭The real mccoy 91

Don't like Denmark for that group at all. Peru are a decent side who I'd fancy to get thru

Alot for me will depend on whether they get their captain back on a 1 year ban for drug use but 3 other teams captains from the group have written to fifa asking for it to be lifted if he doesn't play id like Denmark to finish second

Anyone see value in Costa Rica to qualify out of their group at 3/1? Serbia and the swiss wouldn't be up to much

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Med101007

Anyone make their winner & top goalscorer bets yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Do we expect there to be any decent promotions starting up or is it too late at this stage? If I remember correctly the last tournament had some decent offers but I can't remember exactly what they were.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Do we expect there to be any decent promotions starting up or is it too late at this stage? If I remember correctly the last tournament had some decent offers but I can't remember exactly what they were.

PP for the euros had Placing up to €20 on a team and for every goal the score you got a €5 free bet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

PP for the euros had Placing up to €20 on a team and for every goal the score you got a €5 free bet
    That's the one. I think 888 had something similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Is Saha out of the WC due to the injury in CL final? Egypt match odds for thier opener against Uruguay went flyinh out tonight as if it was confirmed he will be injured.

rekluse wrote: »
    I'm thinking :

Group A - Uruguay Qualify
    Group B - Spain win
    Group C - France win
    Group D - Croatia Qualify
    Group E - Brazil win
    Group F - Germany win
    Group G - England qualify
    Group H - Colombia qualify
    Champions League Final - Both teams to score

Pays 14/1 - Anyone any thoughts?

Might leave France out. Have a niggling feeling about them as they are a usually quite slow starters and quite a young team, that would bring it back to 10/1. Any reason you fancy Denmark Shano ? Looked at the squad there and it doesn't look that great bar Erikson. Also just noticed Cahill in the Aussie squad, his 4th world cup @ 38 years old!

Just fancy Denmark myself I see another poster reckons Peru in that group but it's just my personal feeling. I haven't backed it yet.
    I've currently backed:

Treble:
    France
    Brazil
    Germany

all to top their group 11/10

Double:
    Saudi Arabia
    Costa Rica

both to finish bottem 23/10

To qualify out of group Acca:

Saudi NO
    Morocco NO
    Germany YES
    Brazil YES
    Argentina YES

Just under evens.

ittakestwo wrote: »
    Is Saha out of the WC due to the injury in CL final? Egypt match odds for thier opener against Uruguay went flyinh out tonight as if it was confirmed he will be injured.

Assume that's Salah :p

Not 100% confirmed may miss the first game or the whole tournament but even so wouldn't back based on injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Assume that's Salah :p

Not 100% confirmed may miss the first game or the whole tournament but even so wouldn't back based on injury.

Jaysus don't know why I said Saha....

When I saw Egypt match odds going flying out I noticed that their ''to qualify'' from group A odds on betfair exchange had not reacted yet and there was a bet of 2.5 (6/4) request to lay them to qualify. I took the €500 bet. This morning the market had reacted and was trading at 3 (2/1) on the exchange. If I can buy back in at that I can lock in an €84 profit without risking anything :)

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

Do people think that mertens starts for Belgium
    If so sneaky few bob on him top goal scorer big price

Also back Germany to win outright and England not to get out of group
    I love an outside betðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

That England bet is on paddy power alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Hamadeusentman

Giroud 40/1 top scorer. SkyBet.
    Worth a shot I think. Good form with Chelsea. Up top in front of griezmann and mbappe could be lethal. Straightforward enough group you’d think...

Another point on peru is they have only lost twice in their last 20 games by brazil and Chile 23/10 to qualify is looking value to me now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Another point on peru is they have only lost twice in their last 20 games by brazil and Chile 23/10 to qualify is looking value to me now

think Denmark will do them. isn't guerrero out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,193 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Shane St. wrote: »
    think Denmark will do them. isn't guerrero out?

Yeah, drugs ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Anyone seeing any value in the ‘Top team goalscorer’ markets? Isco could be a good shout for Spain at 5/1

Paddy Power going 6 places but at 1/5 odds.
    Little difference in prices.

• Advertisement

Yeah, drugs ban.

His ban was overturned - so is cleared to play

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Spain 7;00 to win it

wadacrack wrote: »
    Spain 7;00 to win it

I’m finding it very hard to pick outright winner. Between Spain/Germany/France/Brazil it’s too tight to call, so therefore can’t fond value in a winner tbh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Unlike previous tournaments finding it hard to pin point where to start with bets.

Winner is very uncertain as is top scorer.

The groups and so random this year to with a lot of low level teams.

Gonna have to really study it all bit more. Any good guides online based on top players for each team form tactics etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Looked into everything a bit more again tonight and what i have so far as possible bets are these.

Uruguay Spain France Argentina Brazil Germany Belgium and Colombia all to win there groups. 34.85/1

Saudi Arabia Iran and Panama not to score a goal 125/1

Neymar top scorer 12/1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

2 bets so far

Spain outright, Neymar TGS 80/1

Spain outright, Giroud TGS 250/1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

I think there's one in tomorrows edition

• Registered Users Posts: 8 hellfish

Salah to be Egypt top goalscorer @ 10/11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Panama lowest scoring team 17/2

hellfish wrote: »
    Salah to be Egypt top goalscorer @ 10/11

Tbh there's probably better value in backing him each game as team FGs.

10/11 I think is a nice lay

• Advertisement
Advertisement