Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Used Planet X

Options
  • 16-11-2017 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

Hi all, I’m looking for some advice on buying a used Planet X Pro Carbon.

This is the one I’m interested in:
    http://www.adverts.ie/14211245

To me, it looks over priced when compared to cheaper, newer ones with full Integra groupsets on DoneDeal. Obviously I could be way out, so that’s why I’m here.

Any advice?
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

you could get a new one fore not much more

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Gwildor

godtabh wrote: »
    you could get a new one fore not much more

If I had not much more, I’d buy a new one. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Gwildor wrote: »
    If I had not much more, I’d buy a new one. :)

My point is its way over priced.

godtabh wrote: »
    My point is its way over priced.

Thanks, I did think as much but I’d not be anywhere near as knowledgeable as some of the folk here. Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,331 ✭✭✭secman

I bought a 2017 model back in Sept with full ultegra 6800 11 speed groups et, practically brand new. Got it for €900 .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

I'd buy new. I think he's asking way over the market value for a 4 year old bike.

A little advice given by a mechanic.

knock off 30% straight off the cost price for second hand.

another 10% or €100 per year

and he likes to say you loss €20 value off the bike per spin.

It's buyers market out there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

As above, it is 4 years old, ridden alot or a little. Everything on it is 4 years old and you get no warranty or comeback. It would be a grand price direct from the shop but its not.

The equivalent would be the Ultegra version now, which is about 1250new, with a more up to date groupset, a warranty and after 4 years, probably a few other improvements.

I would say 600 at most would be a fair offer.

Thanks all for the replies, much appreciated. I think I’ll leave it where it is and save a little more for something new. I have my ebike and Trek hybrid to keep me going for now.

Just googled Planet x Ireland, the current version of the Pro Carbon, different colour, not as nice IMO , still with ultegra 6800 groupset, and no pedals.... €1,499.99.

I got the seller to include the pedals and a spare set of handlebars, he had changed the originals to an aero type, and as previously stated €900.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'd try planet x in the UK, and the UK price (not euro). Significant mark up on the planet x ireland.

Are you tied to carbon? You'd get a alu Giant contend for 1100 brand new, albeit with tiagra (or 1200 for 11 speed 105).

You could also chance waiting for the inevitable planet x UK sale - normally a few full builds in the new year iirc.

secman wrote: »
    Just googled Planet x Ireland, the current version of the Pro Carbon, different colour, not as nice IMO , still with ultegra 6800 groupset, and no pedals.... €1,499.99.

I got the seller to include the pedals and a spare set of handlebars, he had changed the originals to an aero type, and as previously stated €900.

1300 on the UK site including delivery to Ireland, Add in the pedals and its 1400. Even still you get a warranty and the one on sale is 4 years old. Buying second hand adds risk that buying new doesn't.

Maybe 700 if you really loved it, I always halve the price of a bike once bought as its depreciation of the bat.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It's a nice bike but I don't understand how this can possibly have been €2700 new as claimed, which makes me doubt other facts about the bike.

Maybe ask to see the receipt? :pac:

It looks like a good bike and 11sp, so I don't know that it's massively overpriced at €850. €750 would be an OK deal I reckon.

edit: that said I'd normally say about 60% depreciation on a 4 y/o bike, so that would value it at about 500. But it is claimed to be hardly used.

Lumen wrote: »
    It's a nice bike but I don't understand how this can possibly have been €2700 new as claimed, which makes me doubt other facts about the bike.

Maybe ask to see the receipt? :pac:

It looks like a good bike and 11sp, so I don't know that it's massively overpriced at €850. €750 would be an OK deal I reckon.

edit: that said I'd normally say about 60% depreciation on a 4 y/o bike, so that would value it at about 500. But it is claimed to be hardly used.

No way it was €2,700 , if seller paid that he was rippped off. €1500 to €1,700 tops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

As above, it's overpriced - but there is room for a haggle if it's what you want.
    There are good deals around at the moment on most the sites

1200 euro for this..https://www.rosebikes.com/bike/rose-xeon-team-gf-105/aid:818966

I'd be buying that right now if I had the money as its an alu version of the bike I have, with full 105 11 speed.

Or for 1100 euro https://www.canyon.com/en-ie/road/endurace/2018/endurace-al-7-0.html

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Buy this - Pro Carbon Frame, Vision 35 wheels and SRAM Force which is equivalent to Ultegra/Athena (depending on which is your preference.

All in a little over 1k

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/EBPXPCFO/planet-x-pro-carbon-sram-force-11-road-bike

That's what a little digging can do for you. Nice find

Thanks again for all the help and advice! Lots to be looking through, though, I do like the look of that Canyon!

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

I still love my PX but would not consider its value as €850 and it's carrying Dura Ace!

In 2010 Planet X announced that they would be selling the Pro Carbon with Athena and Khamsin wheels for £1199 (approx €1343) as seen in this:- https://www.planetx.co.uk/news/products/q/date/2010/05/05/planet-x-introduce-campagnolo-build so maybe €5-600.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

It may be good value. Some of the earlier Planet X frames were really light (SL Pro) and you were getting great value for what you paid. When you look at later mid priced models on their website they all come in at 8+ kgs and you have to ask why.

If the bike in question

1) runs smooth when you test ride it
    2) components look little used (examine smaller screw heads and see that they turn)
    3) weighs under 7.3kg without pedals (buy and bring a cheap scales)

you're probably on to a good thing. I pick 7.3 because the khamsins are about 1.8kg and there are a lot of mid range wheels out there at 1.5kg giving you a 7kg bike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

In fairness the sl pro has proven itself for years as probably the best value multi purpose carbon frame, I know a few lads who have them and they all would agree.
    PX uk sometimes have good deals online and well worth it, I still have mine and should anything happen to it I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

mamax wrote: »
    In fairness the sl pro has proven itself for years as probably the best value multi purpose carbon frame, I know a few lads who have them and they all would agree.
    PX uk sometimes have good deals online and well worth it, I still have mine and should anything happen to it I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

I still have my planet X from 2009 which was the SL pro and it came at a great price, I spent over 2.5K on a Rose Xeon Cw in 2013 and it was a bit heavier. PX always got a bit of a bashing on boards because they didn't look as cool as other bikes. Its used winter time now but If the Rose is out of action, I'd have no problems putting a good set of wheels on it and racing away.

I still have my planet X from 2009 which was the SL pro and it came at a great price, I spent over 2.5K on a Rose Xeon Cw in 2013 and it was a bit heavier. PX always got a bit of a bashing on boards because they didn't look as cool as other bikes. Its used winter time now but If the Rose is out of action, I'd have no problems putting a good set of wheels on it and racing away.

When I first started posting on here, Planet X were pretty much the unofficial boards.ie bike. I think everyone raved about them. I think they look quite nice and you would be hard pressed to get better bang for your buck.

This place just got snobby over time :pac:

Seems to be stg£100 off list price, so good but not amazing? Been considering it for a while, but seem to be right between M or L (currently on M/L Defy!). Edit - Missed the wheel upgrade!

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭wheelo01

This is now listed at €500, maybe this would suit somebody, it is priced as ye said it should be?

Resurrecting this thread, as a few posters seem to have one... Not sure my body is flexible enough for full on race geometry (so the bianchi will have to wait), but looking for something a bit more racey than my defy (and non disc brake so I can definitely race!). The blurb and reviews of the pro carbon suggest it's an alright compromise - maybe like the Canyon Ultimate CF sport pro geometry?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

As it happens, I have a Planet X Pro Carbon and a Canyon Ultimate CF SLX.
    I love both bikes. I use the Planet X much more than the Canyon. I'm saving the Canyon, it has to last me until my 70th birthday.
    Both are very comfortable, but I have carbon bars and seat posts on both bikes, that might help with comfort. I have flexibility problems, due to arthritis, but I have no problem with either bike. In fact, in the last couple of years, I have taken a couple of spacers from the steerer tube of the Planet X. I am able to set up both bikes, so that they have the very same measurements.
    I have my Planet X 4 years(I think) Paintwork is great and with threaded bottom bracket and all external cables, it's very easy to work on.

• Advertisement

Eamonnator wrote: »
    As it happens, I have a Planet X Carbon Pro and a Canyon Ultimate CF SLX.
    I love both bikes. I use the Planet X much more than the Canyon. I'm saving the Canyon, it has to last me until my 70th birthday.
    Both are very comfortable, but I have carbon bars and seat posts on both bikes, that might help with comfort. I have flexibility problems, due to arthritis, but I have no problem with either bike. In fact, in the last couple of years, I have taken a couple of spacers from the steerer tube of the Planet X. I am able to set up both bikes, so that they have the very same measurements.
    I have my Planet X 4 years(I think) Paintwork is great and with threaded bottom bracket and all external cables, it's very easy to work on.

What hoops do you have on them, my planet x pro carbon came with basic stock wheels, fine for winter but hope to get something lighter for the spring/ summer.

Advertisement