Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Time Build

Options
  • 16-11-2017 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭

Building a pc for the first time. Purpose outlined below. I wont be building till January but will buy the Case before Christmas as its too difficult to get delivered to the office so will get delivered to the parents house. Also will look out of deals (Guessing SSD most likely) during the black Friday sales online.

As its for the living room quiet is better. Do some cases have enough fans already in them so no additional ones are required? Ive seem some that have switches that control the speed (noise). Seems good.

I would like the ability to had a second GPU a couple years down the line to the Motherboard. May not ever use it but want to make it as easy as possible to upgrade.

1. What is your budget? €1500-1700

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Hoping it will manage 4k gaming on the TV (so 60 Hz) for games like Forza. Would play games Like Civ on the smaller monitor so 1440p. plan on giving Skyrim and some older games a go as well hopefully in 4k.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Keyboard / Mouse / Monitor

5. Do you need a monitor? No, Using 4k HDR TV and have a QHD monitor

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Probably not.

8. How can you pay? PayPal, Credit Card, Bank Transfer, cash etc..

9. When are you purchasing? Plan to build in the new year.

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? I hope to manage it all myself. Based in Dublin

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

For quiet running, it's all about the fans.
    Noctua are the de-facto leader, although Be Quiet! are very good too.

For PSU, get a good (€70-120) Gold or Platinum-rated model that can run at 0-fanspeed during 50% load.

For coolers, quietest AND coolest is Palit / Gainward, although since they're 2.5slot cards they won't fit in a mini-ITX case.

The era of dual-GPUs is over.
    Get the best GPU you can afford now, then sell & upgrade a few years down the line.

Advertisement