Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 6S Battery Issue

Options
  • 16-11-2017 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My son noticed his 6S has been running slow. When we compared it benchmarked to two other 6S's in the house, his is running at half speed and is quite noticeable.

I did a bit of reading and saw that this can be caused by battery issues - the phone throttles back the processor to preserve a weak battery. I did a check and his was covered under the 6S battery recall issue. I duly sent it back to Apple.

However, they contacted us after receiving the phone saying that there was damage to the internal speaker and that they would not be covering it under the battery return warranty. They asked for just over €300 for the repair. I declined as I felt the phone isn't worth that outlay. Basically they would not just replace the battery and insisted that I pay up or they return the phone as is.

What annoyed me was that the speaker has been working fine. As his father, I'm constantly asking him to turn it down so am full sure! I argued with Apple, but they wouldn't budge.

What are my options for repair outside Apple? Got a quote for €50 to replace the battery, but unsure of the quality for that price. If we replace the battery, should the phone work at full speed again or does something else need to be done.

Got the phone back from Apple and there is definitely no physical damage around the speaker. They say that software they use to scan the phone picked it up. We are pretty sure there is no water damage to the phone and it has been in a case with screen protector from the day it was taken out of the box.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Third party battery replacements are a lucky dip. Usually used or knock-off batteries imported from China as only Apple sell new genuine batteries. Some are fine, some will fail in a week, and some might even explode.

I’ve no idea whether a new battery will solve your problem. If it was battery problem there would usually be other symptoms, like random shutdowns etc. I’d suggest restoring and setting up as a new phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Third party battery replacements are a lucky dip. Usually used or knock-off batteries imported from China as only Apple sell new genuine batteries. Some are fine, some will fail in a week, and some might even explode.

I’ve no idea whether a new battery will solve your problem. If it was battery problem there would usually be other symptoms, like random shutdowns etc. I’d suggest restoring and setting up as a new phone.

Had to reset to send to Apple and set up as a new phone when it came back. That made no difference. Won't go the battery for the reasons you outline and there aren't any other symptoms other than the speed. The main thing that put me on to the battery was that it was eligible for the Apple recall.

He wants to upgrade to an iPhone 7 after Christmas. Means that his 6S isn't worth much given the speed problem. I wouldn't sell it as being in full working order knowing that.

Is the speaker working, or not?

Remember, you're entitled to up to 6 years of consumer warranty via the supplier of the iphone, if it was bought in the Republic of Ireland.

You could always drop it on them to make it right, because it sounds like you're being stiffed from what you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Bellu

same have battery issues on iPhone 6s, when it has 30% or 20% battery, I want to pay by using Apple Pay, it turned off....

Advertisement