Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Container-grown planting tips

Options
  • 16-11-2017 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭

w00t, the hedging is here!

I've read around a bit, and the tips I have are:

1. Dig wide saucer-shaped hole only as deep as the rootball so that the plant is well supported and the roots tend to grow horizontally where there is warmth and oxygen.
    2. Make sure the root flare is at at ground level or slightly higher.
    3. Ensure maximum contact between roots and site soil.
    4. Mulch to 3 inches, but away from the main stem.
    5. Water heavily before and after planting.

Anything else?

I'm a bit concerned that the virburnums are a bit pot bound. Shall I try and separate the root ball by gently massaging and shaking off the potting medium?

I've read about root washing but only for "ball and burlap" plants which these are not.

Should I mulch with "screened woodchip" or "bark" or "garden mulch/soil conditioner" (these are the choices from my local supplier)?

What about grass in the planting zone? Dig it up or just mulch over?

20171116_125116.jpg

20171116_125133.jpg

20171116_125157.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Any of those wound round white roots just scratch at them to break the solid ring of roots. You don't have to be too fussy with them just so long as they are not still wound round when they are planted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

Lumen wrote: »
    w00t, the hedging is here!

I've read around a bit, and the tips I have are:

1. Dig wide saucer-shaped hole only as deep as the rootball so that the plant is well supported and the roots tend to grow horizontally where there is warmth and oxygen.
    2. Make sure the root flare is at at ground level or slightly higher.
    3. Ensure maximum contact between roots and site soil.
    4. Mulch to 3 inches, but away from the main stem.
    5. Water heavily before and after planting.

Anything else?

I'm a bit concerned that the virburnums are a bit pot bound. Shall I try and separate the root ball by gently massaging and shaking off the potting medium?

I've read about root washing but only for "ball and burlap" plants which these are not.

Should I mulch with "screened woodchip" or "bark" or "garden mulch/soil conditioner" (these are the choices from my local supplier)?

What about grass in the planting zone? Dig it up or just mulch over?

As looksee suggests, just pulling out those ringed roots should help them settle better. Don't worry if they break as this will stimulate new root growth. Shaking off the potting medium would be counterproductive as this will help your plant roots continue to work while they settle in their new position.

Mulch does not have to be anything that particular so whichever of those options you are looking at that is cheaper would be the way I would go.

As to the question of grass in the planting zone I would recommend removing it completely, particularly the white underground growth of scotch grass as grass will often grow up through mulch.

Advertisement