Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intercom for security gates

Options
  • 16-11-2017 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

Hi, we're getting our gates automated soon so have been getting a few quotes in. The gates are located approx 70 metres from the house so we've been advised that it would be better to go with GSM instead of a wired intercom, cheaper to install and more functionality were two reasons given. Only concern I have with the GSM is the running cost, i.e. sim card. Might be baseless so does anyone have an idea of the average yearly cost of going with GSM. Wondering if long term this would work out more expensive than a wired intercom?

Any alternative recommendations worth looking at that can also link into a home network and reroute to mobiles would be appreciated.

I should mention I'll be digging the trench for the power supply myself and also getting a camera and security light installed at the gates.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

It sounds to me like it is pure laziness on the part of the installer, 70 meters is nothing for a wired intercom.

I would recommend Comelit, as you are doing the ducting, i fail to see why a low voltage cable cannot be ran. This will also allow you the opportunity to have remote gate switching at the house, eg press to open and another press to hold open.

With Comelit as well a unit can be connected at your house which can relay the intercom calls to mobile and other landline numbers.

With regard to the ongoing costs of a SIM, well that i don't know, but at least with the wired one above, you are not on the never never.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

kub wrote: »
    It sounds to me like it is pure laziness on the part of the installer, 70 meters is nothing for a wired intercom.

I would recommend Comelit, as you are doing the ducting, i fail to see why a low voltage cable cannot be ran. This will also allow you the opportunity to have remote gate switching at the house, eg press to open and another press to hold open.

With Comelit as well a unit can be connected at your house which can relay the intercom calls to mobile and other landline numbers.

With regard to the ongoing costs of a SIM, well that i don't know, but at least with the wired one above, you are not on the never never.

Thanks Kub, would the relay to mobile phone allow remote opening/closing as well? Also how does it relay, is it via your internet router? Does it rely on your phone having a data connection? Only reliable connection where we live is via your wifi and can't get that out the back garden so could be a problem during the summer.

If wired I'd imagine you would need to run the cable into the house to connect to the base station correct? Wondering if that's what the installer was thinking of as the main cost. House is very old, external walls are around two feet thick, getting it rewired was a nightmare that took months instead of weeks.

Took a look at Comelits site, other wireless option seems to be dect although it specifies line of site. We have a few outbuildings between the house and gate plus trees etc so not sure if that would be a goer?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

DamoKen wrote:
    Thanks Kub, would the relay to mobile phone allow remote opening/closing as well? Also how does it relay, is it via your internet router? Does it rely on your phone having a data connection? Only reliable connection where we live is via your wifi and can't get that out the back garden so could be a problem during the summer.

DamoKen wrote:
    If wired I'd imagine you would need to run the cable into the house to connect to the base station correct? Wondering if that's what the installer was thinking of as the main cost. House is very old, external walls are around two feet thick, getting it rewired was a nightmare that took months instead of weeks.

DamoKen wrote:
    Took a look at Comelits site, other wireless option seems to be dect although it specifies line of site. We have a few outbuildings between the house and gate plus trees etc so not sure if that would be a goer?

Well the unit I have in mind does not rely in Wi-Fi or even broadband for that matter.
    It sits on the call station line, when a pre determined amount of rings happen and are unanswered, it relays the call to pre programmed phone numbers via your telephone line.
    An old house like that certainly is challenging but most guys who know what they are at could suggest a few cable routes to you.

Those line of sight ones will not suit your application by the sounds of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

I'd second Kub's advice as regards installing a wired system. If you're installing ducting for mains, you may as well throw in a couple of external grade CAT5 cables. This gives you full functionality for the gates and intercom and spare capacity in the (unlikely) event of a break or an upgrade (eg to video).

I have electric gates with a Comelit intercom...which is also wired in to the alarm system (HKC) which itself is connected via GSM to my mobile. I have HKC's SecureComm app on my phone. This allows me to open and close the gates remotely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

Cheers for the replies. Should have mentioned we don't have a landline so only connection option to our phones would be via GSM I think.

Re video signal. The installer has suggested a wireless IP option. He said he'd install a transmitter by the gates. Said it's superior to the analog options and again would be more suitable for my house.

Was also talking with a neighbour over the weekend who went with GSM on their gates, about the same distance to the house. Running costs seem a lot lower than I thought coming to approx €100 a year.

I'll be getting the final quote this evening including power supply so I'll ask then what the cost difference is. Still don't like a yearly bill with the GSM but to be fair to him I do see the logistical problems with installing a wired connection. Apart from the distance he'd need to go directly through a few buildings before getting to the house, cost of installation might outweigh savings on GSM. Power supply would be a lot simpler as I have power in the outbuildings.

• Advertisement
Advertisement