Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

#ChristmasJumperThursday

Options
  • 16-11-2017 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭

It seems #ChristmasJumperThursday is a thing.

The queue started outside Hole in the Wall at 8:30am today, and as at an hour ago festivities were going string there, as well as across the road in Barr an Challadah and up the hill in Paddys.

McSwiggns have a No Christmas Jumpers signs on the doors. Other Woodquay pubs are enforcing similar.

Could be a messy early evening.

433634.PNG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Passed by a short time ago the Gardaí were walking along by the queue outside the Hole In The Wall taking drink off them and pouring it down the drains.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Sounds like the winter equivalent of Donegal Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

This has been around for a few years.

The Hole in the Wall knows how to do business.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I spent a while near a window at Eyre Square earlier, and was wondering what the ruckus was! It's definitely much messier than it should be this early in the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

pjohnson wrote: »
    This has been around for a few years.

The Hole in the Wall knows how to do business.

It has but definitely more of a "thing" this year. Can't remember them queing outside The Hole in the Wall at 10 in the morning last year for it. Guess it's the last blowout for many of them before Christmas exams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Some of them are quite intimidating and harassing people in homes up bohermore, woodquay.... it's definitely worse than last year . Seems majority can't have a drink without making a nuisance of themselves

Reeeeeally messy in town.

Guards got it wrong once I saw though. They lifted a slab of *unopened* cans from a bunch of lads (who in fairness weren't causing any problems just sitting and chatting) and dumped them in a bin and moved them on.

FIVE mins later, a gang of what seemed to be 13 year olds came back, quick as lightening opened the bin, scooped them up and were gone.

It was like watching a David Attenborough documentary with Lions and Hyenas! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

NUIG clamped down on the "Christmas Day" on campus. The College Bar was tickets only and didn't open until lunchtime unlike in recent years.
    That's why all the students headed into town instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

NUIG clamped down on the "Christmas Day" on campus. The College Bar was tickets only and didn't open until lunchtime unlike in recent years.
    That's why all the students headed into town instead.

Not really a clamp down. More cash in.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

NUIG don't own the college bar, the SU do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

MadYaker wrote: »
    NUIG don't own the college bar, the SU do.

This, and they weren't allowed to open early and had to limit numbers through presold tickets.
    I suspect the Christmas Day will be cancelled altogether next year and will become unofficial, like rag week.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

Do students get cheap drink in Eyre Street at 08.30 or are they spending the parents' Irish Water refunds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ANDREWMUFC

There was an orgy going on in Eyre square late last night when I was driving by (two lads riding the holes of 2 wans)

There Was tension in Galway yesterday it has to be said

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭clairek6

Driving home at 9pm last night few drunks in Christmas jumpers around, had to give one of them a good beep he was slowing making his away accross the road at Terryland. Surprised there was no accidents reported

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭leestone

ANDREWMUFC wrote: »
    There was an orgy going on in Eyre square late last night when I was driving by (two lads riding the holes of 2 wans)

There Was tension in Galway yesterday it has to be said

Yuppp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Was driving over the Quincentenary bridge on Thursday night and came across a lad passed out on his back on the bike path with his leg hanging out onto the road. Put the hazards on and gave a beep - his mates 100m or so up the road came back for him and got him on his feet. Could have been messy. Was thinking it must have been the college "Christmas Day".
    inisboffin wrote: »
    They lifted a slab of *unopened* cans from a bunch of lads (who in fairness weren't causing any problems just sitting and chatting) and dumped them in a bin and moved them on.

Surely they can't take unopened cans...?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

J o e wrote: »

Where do you think a young lad who pointed that out to them would have ended up?

I've been in that situation once and there isn't a lot you can do. It was a few years ago and there was a bunch of us all around 19 -20 at the time. One of the lads didn't have id on him so the gardai's reasoning was they suspected him to be underage and took the drink on that basis. We didn't really argue just went and bought more after they left. It was only time I've had a run in with them over public drinking in almost ten years. Most of the time if you aren't causing trouble they leave you alone but the guy who targetted us that day was not sound at all, there was no talking to him.

Where do you think a young lad who pointed that out to them would have ended up?

They had absolutely no authority to take a slab of unopened cans and if it was me id go to cell before I'd give them up. You wouldn't end up in a cell though as once you stood up to them they would back down as they know they don't have the power to force the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

They had absolutely no authority to take a slab of unopened cans and if it was me id go to cell before I'd give them up. You wouldn't end up in a cell though as once you stood up to them they would back down as they know they don't have the power to force the issue.

I wouldn't go to the cells for the sake of a few cans.

• Advertisement

They had absolutely no authority to take a slab of unopened cans and if it was me id go to cell before I'd give them up.

Sure you would lol

Arghus wrote: »
    I wouldn't go to the cells for the sake of a few cans.

Fair enough but I would, not for the cans as such but to stand up for myself.

You wouldn't end up in a cell anyway as I said, if you did you would have strong founds for a complaint to the ombudsman.
    Sure you would lol

Believe what you want but I'm telling you I would.

If they arrested you they'd take the cans too.... so what would be the point?

MadYaker wrote: »
    If they arrested you they'd take the cans too.... so what would be the point?

Standing up for myself and not being a pushover when in the right.

Also making a complaint has hopefully getting the guard in trouble for going well outside his powers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Standing up for myself and not being a pushover when in the right.

Also making a complaint has hopefully getting the guard in trouble for going well outside his powers.

You're the very definition of a keyboard warrior...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Bobby Cans.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

There are local bye-laws against drinking alcohol in public places. , They include a power to AGS to confiscate alcohol.

Would be immaterial whether or not cans were open

J o e wrote: »
    Was driving over the Quincentenary bridge on Thursday night and came across a lad passed out on his back on the bike path with his leg hanging out onto the road. Put the hazards on and gave a beep - his mates 100m or so up the road came back for him and got him on his feet. Could have been messy. Was thinking it must have been the college "Christmas Day".

Well they did! ;)

nuac wrote: »
    There are local bye-laws against drinking alcohol in public places. , They include a power to AGS to confiscate alcohol.

Would be immaterial whether or not cans were open

How on earth would it be immaterial? There is no law against carrying drink from the shop to your house, if you aren't drinking the cans a guard has no right to take them simple as that. The bye-laws do not give the power to take someone's shopping.

I've drank in the streets many many times without issue also so it was a right pain of a guard that went taking closed cans of a few lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It is possible/probable that if they nab you with an open can and a few closed cans they can just grab all of them as they suspect (and rightly so) that you will drink them all in that public place.

I have been forced to pour drink out myself, no big deal.

Advertisement