Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

bleakest town in Ireland

• 16-11-2017 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

I was in Cootehill recently, it was fairly grim.

A lot of empty shops and closed pubs.
    didn't seem like there was much of anything going on, I'd the the local Saturday night Dhisco is one to behold.

any other suggestions??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

See here, here and here for an epic roadtrip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭CPTM

I was down in Courtown, Wexford about this time last year.

God that was a depressing sight compared to the heights it reached in the 90s..

• Registered Users Posts: 12 knowledge88888

Dublin. Full of junkies, bums, con artists, rip of merchants. Its filthy. Dog poo everywhere. Full of traffic. Its unsafe. Its a disgusting place live. God forbid i mention the immagrants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Head north if you want bleak. Ever been in Larne? Ballymena? Outside the occupied six, Tipp town or Shannon would be up there amongst the top seeds. I live quite near balbriggan, that place has taken a real nosedive the past five or six years, and I'm sure it will be up there in future sh*te town threads (they pop up frequently enough)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Ballinasloe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

CPTM wrote: »
    I was down in Courtown, Wexford about this time last year.

God that was a depressing sight compared to the heights it reached in the 90s..

A seasonal, seaside town in winter.

Courtown is still quite busy every summer.

Arklow is grim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Larne is by far the worst town I've driven through. It has that mixture of forboding, decay, hopelessness and danger you only get in a staunchly loyalist port town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

This thread again.

Tipp town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Finglas South, kip is too nice a word

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭irishlady29

Gort gives me the heebèe newbies along with oughterard

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Head north if you want bleak. Ever been in Larne? Ballymena? Outside the occupied six, Tipp town or Shannon would be up there amongst the top seeds. I live quite near balbriggan, that place has taken a real nosedive the past five or six years, and I'm sure it will be up there in future sh*te town threads (they pop up frequently enough)

Shannon isn't that bad, O'Callaghan mills is infinitely worse, the most depressing I've ever passed through

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Any town in co Tipperary could fill this list. Tipp town itself and Carrick on suir probably shade for sheer hopelessness.
    Athy is a bit grim but at least it’s busy and has a lot of business going on despite all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Dublin. Full of junkies, bums, con artists, rip of merchants. Its filthy. Dog poo everywhere. Full of traffic. Its unsafe. Its a disgusting place live. God forbid i mention the immagrants.

Are you sure it's dog poo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,328 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Tulsk. Everytime I drive through it I can't believe anyone lives there.

Finglas South, kip is too nice a word

Hey! I spent four great years of my teens there until I flew the nest. Before that we lived in the city centre, just off summerhill parade. Finglas was brilliant. We lived in the 'far south' for those with local knowledge. Me ma still does, no amount of money would make her trade down to something smaller, loves the neighbours like family. That's Finglas south.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

Kildysert Co Clare.
    Now there's a bleak place for you.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Newmarket Cork. It had a look of despair about it. I can't imagine the younger generation are going to stick around and the town looks like it's dying on its feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭burnsey1987

Tipperary has plenty of lovely towns but Tipp Town itself is a complete dive. Even driving through it depresses me. New-Ross, Co. Wexford is not that far off. Actually, most of the drive from Limerick to Rosslare I find rather depressing.

West Dublin in general (barring some of the areas right beside the N7 near the Kildare border) just has a general air of mediocrity and hopelessness about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

Granard Co Longford. It's like it never escaped the 70's and there's an awful cloud of sadness hanging about the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Knock.

Dunmore in Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭van_beano

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Knock.

Dunmore in Galway.

You’re missing out on Ballyhaunis and Cloonfad in between!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

van_beano wrote: »
    You’re missing out on Ballyhaunis and Cloonfad in between!

I dunno, they're not as bad. Ballyhaunis is just your standard issue small market town and Cloonfad is tiny.

Dunmore is so insular and tired.

And the bang of Catholic oppression and hypocrisy off Knock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Hey! I spent four great years of my teens there until I flew the nest. Before that we lived in the city centre, just off summerhill parade. Finglas was brilliant. We lived in the 'far south' for those with local knowledge. Me ma still does, no amount of money would make her trade down to something smaller, loves the neighbours like family. That's Finglas south.

Kids on stolen motor bikes on the footpath bonfire on the footpath fireworks getting pointed at you from across the road, the buses not running due to rocks being thrown nightly spot checks by the gardai every ****ing person asking whomever they're talking to do you know what I mean, place is like something out of the van or the snapper. It's worse than Ballymun in the mid 90s and still seems to be stuck in that era.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Liverpool

biko wrote:
    Liverpool

Liverpool? Honours Geography student in School?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Belleek surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Would have to say Arklow, lived there for nearly 7 years and it was horrible. I drive through it most days and it seems to be just getting worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Knock.

Dunmore in Galway.

Who`s there?

Dunmore in Galway who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Kildysert Co Clare.
    Now there's a bleak place for you.....

PLayed a few gigs there. Bonkers! They didn't lick it off the stones, or maybe they did. I found them nice folk though in general!

Mountrath. Passed through last weekend and it's like the upside down. Pulled into the petrol place and the smell of cheap fried food would knock you.

The jacks were full of unflushed feces. Horrible place.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭LewisR

Portarlington.

*shudder*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭LewisR

Portarlington.

*shudder*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Has anyone mentioned Castlecomer?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

I drive across the country a lot and often wonder what is it people do in these regional towns for a living. Can't imagine living in one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Clara, Co Offaly. A cesspool.

Kids on stolen motor bikes on the footpath bonfire on the footpath fireworks getting pointed at you from across the road, the buses not running due to rocks being thrown nightly spot checks by the gardai every ****ing person asking whomever they're talking to do you know what I mean, place is like something out of the van or the snapper. It's worse than Ballymun in the mid 90s and still seems to be stuck in that era.

Keys left in the front door and no burglary ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

doylefe wrote: »
    I drive across the country a lot and often wonder what is it people do in these regional towns for a living. Can't imagine living in one.

I think everyone feels that way about a town that is smaller than the one that they live in, to some degree. People in these towns work in service industries, manufacturing, professional areas etc. All towns have a population and a hinterland to service, albeit on a smaller level to your Dublins, Corks etc.

Keys left in the front door and no burglary

4 Rottweilers in the front garden?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Macroom.

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    4 Rottweilers in the front garden?

Nah man four bousies hanging around the doorstep drinking old cellar and packing knuckledusters. Jeez man. As a general rule, people don't sh*t where they sleep. If you live there and your face is familiar you're off limits for the local guttersnipes. That being said I wouldn't move back, but that's because I'm settled where I am and more or less treated as a local now.

• Advertisement

Nah man four bousies hanging around the doorstep drinking old cellar and packing knuckledusters. Jeez man. As a general rule, people don't sh*t where they sleep. If you live there and your face is familiar you're off limits for the local guttersnipes. That being said I wouldn't move back, but that's because I'm settled where I am and more or less treated as a local now.

I'd say your Mum is some character. ( no offense meant in comment)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,648 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Mod: What he said:
    See here, here and here for an epic roadtrip

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement