Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

camper battery

Options
  • 16-11-2017 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭

do anyone know anything about "Sweeney camper & caravan repairs" cashel rd, clonmel ?
    I have a battery / charging problem.
    maybe someone know of anyone else.
    I am in Waterford but will travel a reasonable distance.

thanks
    tony

Comments

What's the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭coolvale

07 laika R718 on a fiat 2.8.

I got a new engine battery in January 06.
    around this time last year I had problems starting after 2 to 3 weeks idle even on EHU.
    I was told the battery was faulty & it was replaced free that was in January 17.
    now less then 12 months i'm having the same problem again.
    laika told me on EHU it should be putting in a maintenance charge of 2/3 amps per hr into the engine battery.

Easy enough check with a voltmeter.
    If you get higher than 13.0V while plugged in it's charging, if not it's not.

on the control panel when on EHU it is reading 13.8v.
    I also had it checked, when everything is switched off it is not drawing anything from the battery.
    is it possible to get 2 faulty batteries in a row ??????????????????????

tony

coolvale wrote: »
    on the control panel when on EHU it is reading 13.8v.

At the engine battery, the service battery or both?
    I also had it checked, when everything is switched off it is not drawing anything from the battery.

How was it checked?
    is it possible to get 2 faulty batteries in a row ??????????????????????

Unlikely one is a rarity. They're highly reliable.
    Usually the battery gets the blame for a poor charger/over-zealous discharging/operator error/neglect.

The worst battery on the market should give you 150 cycles. If it was used 20 weekends a year it should last 7 years. Most people seem happy with 2 years. :confused:

Is there water above the plates?

• Advertisement

control panel - both engine & leisure batteries are reading 13.8. there are 2 leisure batteries fitted.

it was checked by a guy that services starters & alternators for a living with a volt metre.

we always switch off everything even only stopped for a few minutes.
    the only time its charged separately (apart from EHU) is like now is when it goes down & wont start.

there is no water above the plates. the battery is completely dry all round.

the starter motor was overhauled last year.

do anyone know anything about "Sweeney camper & caravan repairs" cashel rd, clonmel ?
    I have a battery / charging problem.
    maybe someone know of anyone else.
    I am in Waterford but will travel a reasonable distance.

thanks
    tony

i phoned sweeney camper & caravan repairs.
    one of those b####y machines answered so left my name & number.
    guess what no call back.

tony

Sounds like your charger killed your batteries. I'd replace the charger with a different kind that doesn't kill batteries and replace the batteries too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Get a isolator/ kill switch on the engine battery got one from this guy

http://www.adverts.ie/alarms-security/battery-cut-off-isolator-switch-car-tractor-digger-van/13946995

would an isolator/kill switch prevent the built in charger from keeping the engine battery topped up ?

tony

• Advertisement

'twould unless your charger bypasses it which is recommended practice. Your built in charger is a battery boiler though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

would an isolator/kill switch prevent the built in charger from keeping the engine battery topped up ?

tony

It disconnects the ground from the battery, so all electrics are dead. If the battery is fully charged it should last months with out the battery going flat.

i had to get a new starter.
    so far so good.
    tony

Advertisement